Ucsdryder 16-Sep-18
Nogutsnostory 20-Sep-18
APauls 21-Sep-18
zeke 22-Sep-18
wyobullshooter 22-Sep-18
MuleyBum 22-Sep-18
Mpdh 22-Sep-18
13-Sep-18
Anybody else hesitant to launch a 15-18 dollar arrow + components at a grouse? Ilthey are fun to shoot, but man it seems like every arrow finds a rock! Maybe it’s time to find some old arrows and see where they hit at 20.

13-Sep-18
I always carry an extra arrow or two just for such reasons!

13-Sep-18
I carry a judo tipped arrow in my quiver just for such things, although it cost me a mature buck last weekend due to poor judgement and having the judo on the string instead of a broadhead, when I was walking to my stand.

oz

13-Sep-18
Grouse Lives Matter. They deserve the same arrow/broadhead combo as an elk. :)

13-Sep-18
Not any more. I have lost one arrow and broken two shooting at grouse. Once elk season is over my son and I are going a dedicated small game/grouse hunting trip with the shotty's.

13-Sep-18
Nothing stops me from shooting at grouse. It's a weakness I admit. I mean, if I had a bull going and he's in range I'd prob concentrate on him and seal the deal...then go back to the grouse lol. If the bulls is still a ways out, well, usually doesn't take long to dispatch ol thunderchicken ;)

13-Sep-18
I carry arrows specifically for grouse and such.

13-Sep-18
I launched and lost 2 the other day with no grouse to show... One arrow im still waiting to come out of orbit...

13-Sep-18
Use a rubber blunt, they will kill a grouse or rabbit but greatly reduce damage to your arrows. But I still carry a dedicated "older" arrow for small game rather than ones reserved for BHs and big game.

13-Sep-18
Smarba have you shot rubber blunts into targets before? I have a bag and an 18-1 that’s on its last legs. I don’t want to put a slug size hole in my bag! I like the idea for grouse though!

13-Sep-18
I love the taste of fresh grouse. Would I spend $20 for a fine meal? Yes, and I'll donate a Carbon Express Kinetic with a blunt on it for a chance at another fine dinner.

13-Sep-18
I have never shot a rubber blunt at target. Lots of "stump shooting" with them at anthills, yucca plants etc. Here in NM the landscape is not very forgiving. Not a lot of rotten stumps and moss LOL.

The screw in Saunders Bludgeon style rubber heads of same weight fly identical for me well beyond 40 yards.

13-Sep-18

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
I usually carry a couple dedicated grouse arrows in my 6 arrow quiver. 4 Broadheads is USUALLY enough for a day in the elk woods lol. This grouse however was shot with a slick trick 125 because I forgot my small game arrows that day. I couldn’t resist. Their so fun to shoot and dam tasty.

13-Sep-18
Oh ya, if all I have is an Iron Will in my quiver the grouse is still gettin' it! lol

13-Sep-18
Rubber blunts work great.

13-Sep-18
It seems like every time I see a grouse from my treestand that I have some kind of deer come by soon after. Instead of shooting the bird I go on high alert when I see a grouse.

13-Sep-18
I use trekking poles

13-Sep-18
Doh! Never thought about shooting a trekking pole at them!

13-Sep-18
I don't even shoot $15 arrows at elk :^)

13-Sep-18
A few years ago as we were setting in camp mid day a grouse landed about 60 feet up in a big ol pine tree. Arrow number one is still flying, number 2 hit it's mark and we had fresh grouse beast.

13-Sep-18
I will unfortunately have shot a rubber blunt at a buddies new bag target. It completely split the front open and ruined it. Cost me a fifth of whiskey.

13-Sep-18
Grouse are delicious. Dont leave camp without a grouse arrow

13-Sep-18
I've considered carrying a sling shot and a good supply of marbles.....

13-Sep-18
I usually move or if the grouse is just walking try to line it up with a rotten log or other soft background. Works pretty often.

To shoot a broadhead tipped arrow up into the air is reckless.

13-Sep-18
We’ll do it every time, grouse are tasty. We purposely pack in one less meal than there are nights so we are forced to rely on our savvy hunting skills to survive. Since we aren’t very good at hunting elk, grouse eventually become a high value target. Heck, by the last day, if we haven’t killed an elk and we’re out of meals, everybody converts all their broad heads to small game tips :).

13-Sep-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
special grouse arrow
special grouse arrow
down to the bone
down to the bone

13-Sep-18
Never pass a grouse!!!

Way too fun and tasty to ever pass!!

Mark

13-Sep-18
I call em cat arras....... but same thing, always one in the quiver. Love grouse, wabbit, all manner small game.

Hunt hungry.......

14-Sep-18
I love to shoot and eat grouse. I use blunts and I have lost a few arrows, but well worth it in my view.

14-Sep-18
What's another 15-18 bucks when I've already spent $56 on the non-residence small game license. I love to hunt and eat grouse. I once had my hunting buddy beat me over the head because I was stalking a grouse on the ground while a bull was bugling 300 yds out. What can I say?? I have definitely quit shooting at ones in trees although that represents over half of my encounters. I usually count on there being two and search for the second bird still on the ground. Thinking seriously about a flu-flu arrow I carry on side of pack for tree shots!

14-Sep-18
Why I carry grouse arrow and use a six arrow quiver, still have five left for elk!

14-Sep-18
I'm hungry all the time, so I never think twice about launching an arrow at any small game.

16-Sep-18
I love to shoot and eat grouse, once the season opens I always have an arrow in my quiver with a judo point. Carry a few extra broadheads so if I ever needed the last arrow for elk I can just swap heads, but the situation has never come up.

But I would be embarrassed to say what my shooting percentage is, and how many arrows I've lost or broken, the damn birds are expensive. I've certainly been more selective in my shots in recent, and (almost) never shoot at one in a tree. The frustrating thing is when you flush one and he lights in a tree right over your head and starts making that laughing sound at you! I've toyed with the idea of carrying a pellet pistol, but my pack is already too damn heavy. I'm no good with a slingshot or I'd try that (again). Friend of mine is a great rock thrower and has beaned several, I saw him almost get one out the air at 20-30 yards.

16-Sep-18
Ha! I found 3 dumb ones on the road. I stopped and started chucking rocks at them. They stood there looking at me until my arm hurt from throwing rocks. I gave up and got back in the car and drove off.

20-Sep-18

Nogutsnostory's embedded Photo
Nogutsnostory's embedded Photo
Any arrow will do.

21-Sep-18
I feel like Randy Newberg and I are on the same wavelength on these birds after watching that episode with him and Corey Jacobson last year. OK, maybe I'm not that bad... ;)

22-Sep-18
I have tried to resist posting on this thread. I will never, ever have another grouse arrow in my quiver again. In the heat of the moment I drew an arrow out of my bow quiver to shoot at the biggest elk I ever saw. Maybe a 340 to 350 incher. He came in bugling and blowing snot. He stopped and looked the other way in a perfect shooting lane at 32 yards. I drew and let one go. Luckily it sailed harmlessly over his back. After a 10 minute search just to be positive I had not hit the bull, I found my arrow. Where a broadhead should have been was a Judo point. I say again, I will never have anything but broadheads in my quiver when elk hunting.

22-Sep-18
zeke, that’s not the first time I’ve heard about similar incidents. Although not for that reason, I don’t carry a thumper in my quiver either. I just don’t like the thought of taking a shot at a grouse and spooking that bull of a lifetime that may be lurking nearby.

That said, I always have 3 thumpers strapped to the front rack of my atv. I always bring a few grouse home that were on the road/trail on the way back from my morning hunt. Those suckers are yummy!

22-Sep-18
I always carry a judo tipped arrow just for grouse. But I don't use a new arrow. Instead I use older practice arrows. Grouse are just too delicious to pass up. That said, I missed a grouse at what I thought to be an easy chip shot while in the Little Belt mountains last week. My taste buds still haven't forgiven me for that blunder.

22-Sep-18
If you’re worried about losing or damaging arrows, then you’re spending too much for them. Arrows were meant to be shot, not looked at.

• Sitka Gear