kota-man 14-Sep-18
beemann 14-Sep-18
APauls 14-Sep-18
Carcajou 14-Sep-18
Z Barebow 14-Sep-18
kota-man 14-Sep-18
No Mercy 15-Sep-18
14-Sep-18
Have hunted North Dakota for a number of years, up until about 5 years ago, when the big freeze happened that decimated the deer herd there. North Central part of the state. Does anyone have a valid handle on the current state of the herd there? Ive got to get back out there and chase em again!

14-Sep-18
The area I live in is WAY down still. (Central ND) Other areas are fine. Very "spotty" at best. Seems to be pockets where the herd is fine and other areas are still decimated. Our biggest problem for recovery is loss of habitat. This year has been very dry so everything will get worked. Tree rows are being taken down and CRP acreage is WAY down. Quite simply, there's not many places for them to hide when the Orange Army comes in November.

14-Sep-18

beemann's embedded Photo
beemann's embedded Photo
NDGF only issued 55,000 rifle tags. this is way down . They just said in the annual report that they are way below goals. Of course its about two years late to catch up with the big die off from Decembers freezing rains of 2016. They describe the deer herd as recovering. I don't think it will ever get back to what it was since 2/3rds of the CRP is gone and most likely not coming back anytime soon.. Some areas can be good but a lot of areas got hit hard. Best talk to a local source in your area.

14-Sep-18
Manitoba seems to be coming back slowly but surely we are just north. Lots of habitat though.

14-Sep-18
Removal of shelter belts and CRP? Why? Different farming techniques? When I hunted there, there already was virtually no cover, unless you got into the cattail marshes, and coolies with quakies...Dang, It is a great area to hunt too!

14-Sep-18
$$$$$$

Tree rows don't grow corn. Many shelter belts are aging. But there isn't money in replacing the trees. CRP program has dwindled. (Not just ND). As stated by kota, less places to hide from hunters and winter weather.

14-Sep-18
Storms have taken many of the existing shelter belts and like is said above, corn brings in more dollars, and we aren't seeing them being replaced. In a dry year like this year, the Cattail sloughs will all get worked/tilled up. Come freeze up, you're gonna see a whole lot of black dirt up here. No habitat = No deer. Prior to 2016 I had a drive around I could do and see no less than 250 deer per time. I did that drive a few times last fall and the most I counted in one night was 14. Many times my count was 0 to 4 deer. Prior to 2016 it was almost too easy to shoot a 130 inch+ deer. I don't think I've seen a 130 inch deer the last two seasons.

15-Sep-18
Our farm is in the south central area of the state and our deer population is great, but this is small rarm/ranch area, not big crop area. Plenty to eat year around for them here. The Mule deer are doing exceptionally well too.

• Sitka Gear