Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
There are a variety of ways to hunt pronghorns; over a water tank, spot and stalk, or the game of chess as was my last hunt. What?

Three weeks ago,the opening week of Colorado's Pronghorn archery season found me in my Double Bull blind and within 20 yards of the overflow seep pond from a nearby windmill water tank. I had two near encounters with a 12 in buck but I had a bow rest issue which caused a miss. The following 10 days found me in the elk woods but not much action so I decided to come home during the ML rifle season and pronghorn hunt again and then return to the elk woods for the last 7 days of the season.

When I returned to my windmill/water tank, this pasture was a dry as a bone and the rancher had let his bulls into the pasture to graze on what green vegetation that might be around. I drove a mile south and found what I was looking for, as all of the pronghorn had migrated to a quarter section field that was planted in alternating 50 yard wide rows of winter wheat and some leafy green vegetation that looked like stunted corn stocks but with no ears. The rancher had mowed and bailed the green vegetation and left the round bails in the field. The wheat was only 3-4 inch high but in the same field there was a lot of Bine-Weed which the pronghorn seem to love.

14-Sep-18

These two showed interest but passed by 90 yards away. I could see more animals farther up the field 400 yards. Maybe that is where I needed to be tomorrow.
These two showed interest but passed by 90 yards away. I could see more animals farther up the field 400 yards. Maybe that is where I needed to be tomorrow.
So let the game of chess begin. Where to set up, their move, my move, their move, move again. So last Monday afternoon I set up the Double bull blind on the fringe of their major feeding area and I would be in the blind by 5:30 am the next morning. Playing the wind is necessary and I check the Weather Channel for wind direction each day. Now I just needed a pronghorn to come within my effective range, ie, 20-40 yards. The next day I placed out the pronghorn decoy in a standing position 20 yards away. The decoy would act more as a "calming factor" but maybe a pronghorn would be attracted and come close.

14-Sep-18

The pronghorns (total 35- 40) in number but scattered in small groups, coming and going. Around 10 am most had drifted away and out of sight. Two decent buck, quite a few two-three year old bucks and the rest does and fawns.

14-Sep-18

The rut was just starting as the larger bucks were gathering does but I did not see any chasing but a few bucks did test each other. This week would be my last pronghorn hunt of the season so now I was in the "meat phase". Other than a doe with fawn, anything else was a target.

14-Sep-18
So Wed morning found me 500 yards farther up the field where I had seen a number of animals the day before. I set up the blind right next to a large round bail. No decoy this morning. I would just let them feed by naturally if they did come. About two hours later a group of animals came near which included two, 2 year old bucks. They came closer and now were feeding at 40 yards but were feeding slightly from left to right, now stopped. Bow up, draw, sight, shoot. MISS! Another day. I head home an hour later but will be back in the AM tomorrow in the same location. No need to make a chess move just yet. Shooting out of a blind in low light or in the shadows, does not allow the fiber optic pin to illuminate so all I see is a pin without a glowing head. Seems to cause me some issues with aiming. And I need to "pick a spot". Da!

14-Sep-18
Thanks Dirk. Good info. Paul

14-Sep-18

an hour later, they are back.
an hour later, they are back.
Thursday morning. I leave the house at 4 am for the hour drive as I like to be in the blind before first light. I placed the bedded small buck decoy 20 yards away. A relaxed position.

14-Sep-18
Paul are you shooting a stick bow or compound?

14-Sep-18
Keep at it, you’ll connect!

14-Sep-18
'Meat bow', my compound.

14-Sep-18
One of the young 2 yr old buck is curious and comes to 30 yards to investigate the bedded decoy. Broadside!, bow up, release. MISS! Just over its back. DAM X 100. Did not pick a spot or something like that. :)

OK time to make a chess move to another spot 250 yards away where I had noticed a lot of feeding activity. Two hours later I make the move and then head home.

14-Sep-18

14-Sep-18

So instead of setting the blind next to a round bale, the blind would become a stand alone "round bale" for Friday's hunt. The last chance to make good. At the blind in the dark and as light allowed, I was sort of surrounded by pronghorns but most were 300 yards away or more. Up feeding and just wandering here and there.. I needed one to wander by within bow range. This morning the blind was facing SE and that allowed the fiber optic pin more direct light and to glow brightly. Down to the wire and I needed a Check Mate for sure. I hope this chess move was the correct one.

14-Sep-18

I watched for two hours as the pronghorns came and went but none came within 100 yards. Almost ready to give it up when a doe and fawn came in from behind and fed to within 90 yards. Then out of no where, this buck came charging/running right up to them, and drove then off to the west.

14-Sep-18

but right behind the buck was this "butter ball buck", and after the larger buck and doe and departed he stopped and stared in my direction. No Way! Is he coming over?

IT IS HIS MOVE NOW!

14-Sep-18

From his position, this is what he sees.

14-Sep-18

and he crashes 70 yards way with a double lung, pass through hit. CHECK MATE!
and he crashes 70 yards way with a double lung, pass through hit. CHECK MATE!
Now coming closer, 50 yards, 40 yards, 30 yards, 20 yards and broadside and stopped. The single green pin my the sight is glowing brightly. I pick a spot just below the brown and in the white hair, and behind the front leg. I let out a breath, and release? I see the arrow bouncing off the dirt behind the buck.

14-Sep-18

Interesting, the game of chess, made up of many moves. Some times the correct move, sometimes not.

I had move thee different times based on my observation of their feeding habits and areas and then just crossed my fingers I would be successful. I do believe the bedded buck decoy did make a difference in this situation. I have hunted over water and do not use a decoy as the water is the decoy. I do not believe the mature bucks would be interested in the bedded decoy as he did not challenge them in anyway, but it did work on the younger bucks. The doe pronghorns acknowledged the decoy but did not come near. You many have noticed that I covered the plastic decoy with a tan and white felt cloth which I feel gives the decoy more realism and to reduce the sun's reflection.

Well the butter- ball buck made the wrong move, and I finely made the correct one. I came home, process the buck for some great table fair and now relaxing with a cold beer. Leaving for elk hunting on Sunday for the last week of the Colorado season. Maybe there might be another story in the near future.

My best, Pau

14-Sep-18
Well done Paul, great perseverance! Good luck on your elk hunt!

14-Sep-18
Great story, Paul. Congrats

14-Sep-18
Great job. Great write up. Really enjoyed it.

14-Sep-18
Another great adventure, thanks for taking us along again Paul

14-Sep-18
Congratulations Paul! Great write up! Good luck the rest of the season on the deer and elk!

14-Sep-18
Great buck Paul and thanks for posting. Now it's time for an elk to hit the ground.

14-Sep-18
Congrats Paul!

14-Sep-18
Nice!

14-Sep-18
Good work, way to keep at it...

14-Sep-18
Way to go Paul thanks for playing the game!

15-Sep-18
EXCELLENT! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15-Sep-18
Great job Paul! Love the pictures.

15-Sep-18
Nice job again Paul!

15-Sep-18
Hey John, you state,'" I love the pictures,"' They say, "a picture is worth a 1000 words". I agree. Thanks for following along guys. my best, Paul

15-Sep-18
I never take enough pictures. Especially when it’s go time. I really screwed up this year when calling for my dad. I should have had the video rolling. It would have been great footage, but I seem to go stupid when a bull is close.

Anyway, great stuff, and I can’t wait for an elk recap!

15-Sep-18
MONEY !!!!!!!!

15-Sep-18
Congrats Paul. Persistence and patience paid off !!

15-Sep-18
Great job Paul! Congrats! Thanks much for takin' us along with you.

You gonna take us elk hunting too? =D Please?

Feel like that little kid in the back seat..... "are we there yet?"

15-Sep-18
Hey Tom, packed up and heading out in the morning for a 7 days elk hunt here in Colorado. All solo hunting with a few over night hunts that I really like to do. One can learn a lot camping near the elk as to, are they in the area? Need to find and then kill an elk. " are we there yet?" "Almost!". Will be hunting elk Sunday evening. my best, Paul

16-Sep-18
Paul, well done, always fun following your hunts! Now go get an elk! Kevin

16-Sep-18
Good stuff as usual Paul...Congrats...

16-Sep-18
Never disappoint . Thanks for the read!! Hunt

16-Sep-18
Excellent work Paul! Thanks for sharing. Good Luck on your elk hunt!

17-Sep-18
Great job Paul, some good eating there.

17-Sep-18
Congratulations Paul! Another one bites the dust.

21-Sep-18
Nicely done! Thanks for the write up.

21-Sep-18
Great write up as always Paul. I look forward to your hunts and hope you have another for us soon. Congrats on the butterball! Yum. Dont think id challenge to a chess match, maybe checkers. LOL

21-Sep-18
Ah CHECK MATE love it Paul. Congrats and thanks for sharing again. Best of luck with the elk!

21-Sep-18
Congrats Paul !

21-Sep-18

Bowmania's embedded Photo
Bowmania's embedded Photo
I got a checkmate with a 26 yard shot. 74 3/4 green.

Bowmania

21-Sep-18
Nice work glad you got the bow thing fixed and got one. I got check mated ! I missed a beauty muley at 43 yards after a great stalk and then later at the water hole the nice pronghorn finally gave me a shot and as I was drawing suddenly pow and the string came of the lower cam. Then I couldnt get the string on and noticed the cam a crack in it !

21-Sep-18
Bowmania, are the limbs Borders? Cannot tell what riser you are using but congrats to a nice kill.

• Sitka Gear