Fired Up!
CO_Bowhunter's embedded Photo
Fired Up!
Another Wet Wallow
Another Wet Wallow

CO_Bowhunter's Link
This may be the best wallow I've found in more than 25 years. Many of the other wallows in this area are now dry due to the hot weather. It was 80 degrees at 10,500 feet today. Crazy. Don't miss the bugling at the end of the clip. Beautiful bulls. The first bull has a scar or injury from the rut.

14-Sep-18
That poor tree. What did it ever do to that bull. Cool sequence. Thanks for your contributions. They are awesome. Question. Are your trail cam videos/pics in an area you can hunt?

14-Sep-18
Fantastic. I think I would be living at that wallow.

14-Sep-18
Where's the tree stand?

14-Sep-18
Awesome!

14-Sep-18
I would say the bull's testosterone level has risen a bit, like 100 %.

15-Sep-18
Very cool!

15-Sep-18
I think he took ALL the little blue pills

15-Sep-18

CO_Bowhunter's Link
Yes, I've created a few natural ground blind locations at this wallow, to take advantage of thermals, cold air drainage and the prevailing wind. To keep from being busted I'll slip into this area midday when the bulls are bedded down and I'll hunt until 6 p.m. I don't hunt after that because I don't want to be tracking or taking care of an animal after dark. It's got to be a no-brainer 16 yard shot or less with my recurve or I'll pass. I hope to see one or more of these 7x7 bulls.

Here's a clip of a Black Bear cub in the same meadow, curious about the camera, and has plenty of energy as well. Maybe it's something in the water.

15-Sep-18
Why wouldn’t you want to take care of an animal in the dark? It’s more comfortable, no bugs, and the meat cools fast. I’ll take an evening kill over a morning kill any day! Last 3 years I’ve killed them within 30 min of sunset. Usually have them hanging by midnight. The next morning they feel like they came out of a cooler with a great crust!

And 16 yards? I think those elk are getting that big for a reason! Seems like you’re putting a lot of restrictions on yourself...

15-Sep-18
Where I'm hunting at 10,800 feet, there are few bugs this time of year. It's comfortable all day long. I just prefer not to shoot anything right up against dark. Personal choice. I'm five miles from my vehicle, hiking through deadfall.

Regarding the 16 yard preference, again, it's just a choice and preference. I've never shot an elk over 18 yards. I find it isn't necessary.

15-Sep-18
Weird. I hunted 10k feet this year and between the flies, bald faced hornets, and yellow jackets, I’m surprised there was any elk to take home.

5 miles through deadfall solo? I don’t think it matters what time of day you kill it, I don’t see how you get it out by yourself.

15-Sep-18
Awesome footage....thanks for sharing.

15-Sep-18
The lack of insects may have something to do with being very close to timberline. Who knows. It takes me four trips to take an elk out. I've done it many times from this area. Forty miles later and I'm using new holes in my belt going in the right direction. It's not for everyone.

15-Sep-18
If that footage doesn't get an elk hunter fired up, nothin' will...those bulls are the embodiment of masculinity. Thanks for sharing

15-Sep-18
Ooweeee that’s some serious frustration built up lol Great video!

15-Sep-18
So cool, thanks again for sharing all of these!

16-Sep-18
what camera is that?

16-Sep-18
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

16-Sep-18
Great videos....in the "Sixpoint bull elk wallowing" video, I see a second camera across the wallow from the first. Do you set up two cameras at each wallow that you find, to increase coverage?

16-Sep-18
I'd do anything I had to do to get that 7x7 !!

16-Sep-18
Your videos and hunting are what dreams are made of, and I admire your "restrictions," I have a few myself. I like Elkman would like to know what kind of camera you have, it does an excellent job.

16-Sep-18
He's a badass little bull. Makes you wonder what the other bull looks like. Great video !

16-Sep-18
Awesome video, gets you pumped up for sure!

16-Sep-18
LOL that 6x looks like he was about to breed a cow, and then the 7x came and kicked him off and bred her right in front of him and now he's so mad he doesn't know what to do with himself lol. Awesome video

16-Sep-18
Thanks for the comments. Few of us would ever see something like this in person. Almost impossible regarding our scent blowing around and the luck of timing.

The camera I used is the Browning Recon Force Extreme. They don't make it anymore but you can still find plenty of new ones on Ebay, Amazon, BHPhoto and others. For a camera that retails for $179, it captures decent footage, especially when the lighting is great. The night footage is some of the best among trail cameras of any price. I believe the Browning Recon Force Advantage replaced this camera. It also records video at 60fps which really makes a big difference for daytime and night video. I hope to have some footage from the Advantage camera soon.

Please note, I only use these cameras to capture video. I have no idea what the still images look like. I create my own still images from the video, using Adobe Lightroom.

The technology has come a long way. One of the first decent videos I captured was of an elk yearling in a wallow. This clip has been viewed over 50 million times. It was captured using a homemade trailcam with a Sony MiniDV tape video camera, a control board and the entire system in a Pelican case. Here's a link to this clip: https://vimeo.com/21108434

17-Sep-18
Thanks for the info. Your footage is absolutely awesome.

18-Sep-18
Freakin awesome video!!!!!!

18-Sep-18
Dude! Amazing!!

18-Sep-18
It still amazes me every time i see it that those big bulls know exactly the size and shape of their headgear...they can swing thru the forest and hardly touch a limb...even on a dead run! thanks for sharing that!!

• Sitka Gear