Glunt@work 15-Sep-18
spike78 16-Sep-18
Ucsdryder 16-Sep-18
Zbone 17-Sep-18
W 17-Sep-18
spike78 17-Sep-18
IdyllwildArcher 17-Sep-18
15-Sep-18
Wouldn’t have known except out of the blue today on local Cleveland OH TV news they showed a short video of wildlife officials relocating 300 goats in Washington state from one state wildlife area to another using helicopters… I guess nothing unique about that but I found it interesting to make the news all the way here in NE Ohio from all the way out there…

Sounds like Washington state has a healthy population of Rocky Mountain Goats… Cool...

15-Sep-18

Zbone's Link
Wow, I just Googled it and know now why it's making national news... They're removing all the goats out of Olympic National Park, and the ones they don't catch, they're going to eradicate... So sad, why won't they allow hunter to do so, that sux...

" Authorities in Washington have begun using helicopters and trucks to relocate hundreds of non-native mountain goats from Olympic National Park. The effort is designed to move the animals back to a nearby region where they are native. The process will rid the park of the dangerous animals, which have attacked visitors, killing one in 2010. Officials also say the animals have a negative environmental impact. Crews used tranquilizer darts and net guns to capture several animals this week at the park, located west of Seattle. The goats are among the first of an estimated 375 that will be captured, examined and reintroduced to the wild in the North Cascades, located in northern Washington. The Seattle Times reported on early relocation efforts on Thursday. Some of the goats were sedated, loaded into harnesses, dangled from a helicopter, then loaded into a truck. They received care from veterinarians before beginning the journey to their new home.

The relocation project is estimated to leave between 275 and 325 goats in Olympic National Park. Those goats eventually will be shot and killed, according to park "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/09/13/goats-removed-olympic-national-park-helicopter/1296770002/

15-Sep-18
Wow, the costs of relocating goats has to be high! Would love to see that number!

Bet it runs into the 100’s of thousands.

Seems silly not to make money by using hunting to remove them.

Oh well, our National Parks love to spend our tax money!

15-Sep-18
Part of the reason is that hunting is not as effective when trying to eradicate something. Same idea as using professional government trappers to get rid of problem beavers rather than relying on recreational trappers.

15-Sep-18
The biggest reason is that hunting is controversial and much easier to write a check with someone else's money than it is to deal with the drama anti-hunters would bring.

What a waste. Goats are a once in a lifetime deal for most folks.

16-Sep-18
Mountain goats are dangerous animals huh?

16-Sep-18
I thought the same thing spike. Hippie hikers have no problem relocating them and killing a bunch but holy eff if someone wants to hunt them for food...

17-Sep-18

Zbone's Link
spike78 - I guess a visitor to the park was fatally gored in 2010, see linky...

" Although the white-furred, black-horned animals look right at home on the Washington park’s stunning peaks, park officials refer to the mountain goats there as an exotic species, as well as a “nuisance.” They were introduced to the area in the 1920s, officials say, and have since gone on to destroy vegetation and erode soils. What’s more, they’ve become comfortable to the point of dangerous with park visitors, one of whom was fatally gored by a mountain goat in 2010. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/09/15/mountain-goats-are-flying-out-national-park-its-long-story/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9da60ab24d03

17-Sep-18
The various sheep organizations could help get these animals killed off in short order through hunting. Ridiculous.

17-Sep-18
I’m guessing elk in Yellowstone are a little more dangerous.

17-Sep-18
A goat killed somebody in Glacier NP a few years back too.

Olympic NP is heavily hiked by hippies and yuppies. It'd be a nightmare doing this with hunters.

• Sitka Gear