Bou'bound 10-Oct-18
spike buck 10-Oct-18
Ibow 11-Oct-18
spike buck 11-Oct-18
OntarioJoe 11-Oct-18
20-Sep-18

spike buck's embedded Photo
We had a couple of extra bear tags so we booked a Wolf / Bear hunter for October 5th. I have the perfect bait site for him. Donalda bait.

Joe ( Ontario Joe ) brought his bow along with his small game broadhead for a little bird hunting.

He's getting to be a good shot with his bow!!

First Grouse was a Spruce Grouse.

20-Sep-18

2nd turned out to be a Ruffed Grouse... Allowed 5 Grouse a day, with aggregate limit of 15.

20-Sep-18

Beaver dam was as high as the truck!!
Beaver dam was as high as the truck!!

20-Sep-18

***Limit on Grouse is 5 per day and 15 in aggregate.

***Allowed 2 Timber Wolves per person per calendar year.

***Allowed 1 Black Bear per year.

If a hunter hunts Timberwolves while there is an open season for Bear Deer or Moose and wants to use his bow or high powered rifle, he must have a valid Bear, Deer or Moose license. Valid meaning unused game seal.

Must have a small game license in order to buy a single Timber Wolf seal. Can purchase a second Timber Wolf seal after you tag your first Timber Wolf.

I think we will have a successfull hunt October 5th week!!!

****Next post by Ontario Joe shows our selected Wolf hunting site for October 5th. Treestand set up for an archer can be seen in the pic...****

20-Sep-18

OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
OntarioJoe's embedded Photo
Wolves at donalda bait!

21-Sep-18
Great pics Spike!

21-Sep-18
Donalda bait is awesome hope you have someone score on a bear, and a wolf

21-Sep-18
This Spring we had a bear and a wolf taking turns at the bait. I have never seen wolves so brave as I have seen at this site. There was an abundance of fresh wolf sign yesterday when we set it up. Hope fully the hunter sticks to his bow for taking one of these elusive animals.

22-Sep-18

Livereater1's embedded Photo
Hunted with Pine Acres in 2006 and was able to get this fine 250lb BB.

Hunted wolf with them last Feb coming back next month to try to fill the wolf tag.

With the stand being in bow range to the bait, plan to use my bow for both.

22-Sep-18
Long range weather shows it to be perfect weather for the hunt...been snowing all day today!!

22-Sep-18
Im pumped to follow along and see how this plays out. Keep the updates as fresh as the bait !

22-Sep-18
We are going to keep it updated as the hunt goes on. Hopefully it all works out for the hunter. He was unsuccessful this past winter (Wolf). His tag was good till Dec. 31 and with the tags being $430.00 just to hunt wolf, I want him to fill his tag bad!! Also we need to lower the Wolf population up there.

Bait consists of dogfood and dairy ration soaked in thin peanut butter. The wolves stayed for hours eating this mixture this spring and summer. We mixed in all the entrails of the 2 limits of grouse we got that day. Poured liquid fishguts from August on the road to stop them and bring them in.

29-Sep-18
Checked the bait this afternoon....bait was wiped out by multiple Wolves. Ruffed Grouse hunted on our way to the bait site. Cleaned our birds and mixed the entrails into the bait.

There will be no problem getting the Wolves in front of the hunter. MAJOR task is drawing the bow with the wolves 20 yards away. He will have more than 1 Wolf in at a time. But Louie, has told me he is ready.

WE put 2 trail cams at the site to get different views of the Wolves...I'll have plenty I hope in the next few days.

29-Sep-18
I’m in for this sounds like a dream hunt!!

29-Sep-18

Fisher..... and his Rabbit....Sept 29
Fisher..... and his Rabbit....Sept 29

30-Sep-18
I always read and enjoy your threads Chris.....keep them coming..That wolf hunt is intriguing.

30-Sep-18
Ruffs are about as much fun as one can have, both in the woods and at the table. Love it.

30-Sep-18
Too good to eat for bear bait... I'd use the guts, wings, feet, head, tail for bait, but I'd be eating the breasts...

30-Sep-18
Rough day at work,. Lol been a long time sense you had a rough day at work! I remember a few of those but not in many years. Hope the deer hunt goes well.

30-Sep-18
Zbone, we only use the entrails, not the edible meat. The meat is too good to use as bait...and illegal too!!

30-Sep-18
I luv grouse meat, but they're now so scarse around here, hard to come by now days...

03-Oct-18

Ruffed and Spruce Grouse....1 short of a limit. October 3rd...
Ruffed and Spruce Grouse....1 short of a limit. October 3rd...
Awesome drive....shot the 10th Grouse on the way back to civilization!!
Awesome drive....shot the 10th Grouse on the way back to civilization!!
Grouse fingers...
Grouse fingers...
Ventured Northwest to check and do any last minute tweaks to the treestand and shooting lanes. There was a treasure chest of Timberwolf pics on the 2 cams set up.

Now we have our "Thanksgiving Feast" for Monday!!!

03-Oct-18

03-Oct-18

Smaller Timberwolf...most likely the female.
Smaller Timberwolf...most likely the female.

03-Oct-18

Wait till head is in the barrel to draw the bow...

03-Oct-18
Congrats on the grouse and sweet wolf pics!

03-Oct-18
Man I'm jealous, look at all those grouse breast on the hood... BTW - You cutting up those grouse breast and deep frying to eat?

03-Oct-18
Wish I was the lucky hunter that has that bait waiting for him this year.

03-Oct-18
Any bears showing up?

03-Oct-18
Wow now that's some sweet eating. I'd love to send a wooden arrow through a wolf.

03-Oct-18
Started snowing this evening. There is about 1.5 inches of snow on the ground right now and still snowing as I write this. Baits for the most part all gone each time we check it. Bears are out but getting ready for denning. The area we have set up for wolf has no deer hunting for non residents. If you use a bow or high powered must have a bear license.

Zbone, we cut them up into strips and deep fry them. They were awesome!!

03-Oct-18
Any bears showing up?

03-Oct-18
Any bears showing up?

03-Oct-18
All I see on cameras are wolves. Looks like its going to be a Wolf main game. If we are lucky a bear will be taken.

04-Oct-18
Are the bears hibernating at this time?

04-Oct-18
spike buck - Thanks... Never tried deep frying them, sounds good... Have a few quail and a pheasant breast in the freezer right now may give it a try... What kind of batter to use... Thanks again...

04-Oct-18
Hibernating...no... some are still moving and activity could change.... as soon as the weather changes. Bright side is, your main game sought, Wolf, activity is tremendous!!! Wolf activity is always high in rainy weather.

Zbone, she uses Andy's Fish seasoning.

04-Oct-18

Hung a fresh nuisance beaver given to us by a trapper. After we got back to camp we picked up a road kill deer. Got a road kill permit and now can tie it at the bait on Saturday.

Hunter can take 2 wolves here. Wolf license includes small game...including Ruffed Grouse.

04-Oct-18
Thanks spike buck...

06-Oct-18
Made it to Intl Falls will be there tomorrow. LK

06-Oct-18

Louie....Livereater1...
Louie....Livereater1...
We have tried to work out all the things that could go wrong. Its a 20 yard shot. He's ready to kill a Timberwolf!!

06-Oct-18
Hope it all comes together. Good luck!

06-Oct-18

Beavers being beavers!!
Beavers being beavers!!
A few more Ruffed Grouse
A few more Ruffed Grouse
Got some fresh wet snow over night. We had to cut our way up to the site. Got him there just after 2:00 or there abouts.

06-Oct-18

Time stamp says we just missed him. Got to the site not too long after this cam pic was snapped.
Time stamp says we just missed him. Got to the site not too long after this cam pic was snapped.
Louie had wolf activity all afternoon. No tagged wolf tonight, wolf wouldn't stay still long enough... but he enjoyed himself!!

06-Oct-18
Made it to Intl Falls will be there tomorrow. LK

06-Oct-18
Had two wolf encounters this evening. The first was seen in the thickets, very cautious and kept a 40 yd radius from the bait. I thought that it would come into the setup four times but it didn't commit. The only shot I have is at the bait site. Caught the second on my right side it cut a 35 yd half circle around the bait but would not commit.

08-Oct-18

Here is a view of the bait sight from the stand, only a narrow opening for a shot.

08-Oct-18
No wolf sightings today. Rainy and cold tomorrow. We'll see what happens....

08-Oct-18
This is going to happen. You will get it done.

08-Oct-18
Gonna be a thread of the year contender once you connect. Good luck can’t wait to see more pics.

08-Oct-18
Wolves move more in rainy weather for some reason. I wanted to keep the shooting window narrow so as not to spook the Wolves. He would also be able to get ready as he would see glimses of the Wolves coming into the bait and have time to get ready before the Wolves reached the bait.

He could've finished it the first day with rifle but wanted to give the bow a chance.

This is a learning experience for us on bow hunting Wolves!!!

08-Oct-18
No sightings today will try again tomorrow.....

09-Oct-18

Joe Tanner, Guide.... Hunter, Louis Kitcoff…..October 9th 2018.
Joe Tanner, Guide.... Hunter, Louis Kitcoff…..October 9th 2018.
Joe says " Bears are easy... but wolves are a different story!!"

10-Oct-18
Bow killed wolf...................unreal.

10-Oct-18
Wow. Congratulations

10-Oct-18

A Wolf is the Ultimate predator to take....especially by Archery Equipment. ***We had to take the Wolf by a .243 as the Wolves were not cooperating, they wouldn't stay still long enough. A major snow storm was coming through over night and is going full force as I write this, so we switched to centre fire. He shot it through a very small window at 43 yards.

CONGRATS LOUIE!!

10-Oct-18
Incredible trophy with any weapon congrats. Chris any thoughts of offering a wolf/ bear combo hunt in next few seasons?

10-Oct-18
Yes, we will be doing combo hunts next Fall starting Sept 22nd. Still have openings for the combo hunt.

10-Oct-18

Also do the Wolf / Deer hunt in November and December.

10-Oct-18
In the photo the wolf looks more alive than Louie does LOL

10-Oct-18
I think Louis was wore out. He sat from 10:00 am to dark each day since Saturday. He saw a total of 3 wolves during that time. The wolves he did see, never stayed still long enough for a bowshot. Good thing he took the wolf yesterday as the roads are closed now. Total 15 cm of snow more to come. He was very happy to be done!!

11-Oct-18
Awesome job by all involved. Congrats! It was fun following along.

11-Oct-18

October 11, 2018.
October 11, 2018.
Thanks for following along. We targeted these wolves as they were constantly chasing bear from this bait. Louis would not have been able to access his bait due to the heavy snowfall that was predicted and fell. ***Bears are all denned up and anxious to hit my baits in a short 6 months.

11-Oct-18
One piece of confusion on the bears denning up is that they hibernate. Bears do not truly hibernate. They experience torpor, which is a deep sleep with a regular heartbeat/body temperatures. Bears will wake up to give birth, feed their young, and stretch throughout the entire winter season.

Looking forward to starting our baits up next spring...although hopefully not by snowshoe again!

• Sitka Gear