jax2009r 21-Sep-18
Bowmania 21-Sep-18
jdee 21-Sep-18
Boreal 21-Sep-18
PeteO 21-Sep-18
Buckskin 21-Sep-18
jdee 21-Sep-18
21-Sep-18
I wore some "waterproof" keens for my colorado elk hunt this year and they leaked pretty bad walking through wet grass in the rain. I'm looking for some truly waterproof boots for next year.

Are high end boots such as meindl, kenetrek, schnees etc. With full grain leather uppers and waterproof liner the only ones that will do the trick or are there lighter weight synthetic boots that will stay waterproof for an entire hunt walking miles in wet grass?

I don't mind spending the money for good boots if they keep my feet dry and comfortable but living in the east i dont have the luxury of trying on a bunch of different types

21-Sep-18
I suspect your boots didn't leak....but that the water was absorbed by your clothing and top of your socks which then draws the moisture down into your boots. This is common with walking in tall wet vegetation, unless you have waterproof pants and they fully protect your boot tops from any moisture.

Best solution is to wear gaiters.

If the boots were truly not waterproof, the test is to stand in water that comes up but not over the tops of the boots.......leave plenty of room but make sure the tongue and laces get covered. If water gets inside, send them back to the manufacturer as they are not waterproof.

21-Sep-18
Talk to Lathrop and Sons. They should be able to help.

21-Sep-18
I am with Jordan. Get gaiters. I put them on EVERY morning after I lace up. Even if the grass isn't wet, they help keep you warm. If the weather is cold, I will leave them on all day.

21-Sep-18
Gaiters definitely help, but I simply do NOT expect a boot to be waterproof longer than 2 years. I'm on my second fall on a pair of Lowa Renegades and they are still waterproof. So I'm happy. Maybe I'll get 3 with good care. You can also treat leather, but with my feet I always find that leather treated to be waterproof turns it into a rubber boot and non breathable which just makes my feet sweat more so then I have wet feet even when it's dry outside. Gaiters help a lot though, and also may help me get another year out of my Lowa's.

21-Sep-18
X3 on the clothing absorbing the water. Doesn't matter how water proof your boots are if your pants and upper socks get soaked.

21-Sep-18
My Lowa Tibet's are still perfectly waterproof.......bought in 2010. Unfortunately the soles peeled off this year and my field attempt to repair with shoo goo......damn is it ugly and does not inspire confidence. (note....this is normal when you leave them unused for several years.....) Glad I have a pair of Asolo's I love as replacements!

21-Sep-18
I did wear kuiu yukon gaitors every day so I know the water wasn't coming in from the top. I could feel my toes slowly getting wet and before long my feet were squishing with every step. If the sun didn't come out in the afternoon to semi dry my boots and socks I would have been in trouble

21-Sep-18
Go with crispi

21-Sep-18
I've got some Russell's that I like. Could stand it water when I first got 'em. Wouldn't be surprised if I still could - 10 years later.

Bowmania

21-Sep-18
Did you put any water proofing products on them ? I have found most boots leak until you waterproof them. I waterproofed a pair of Lowa TIbets this year and they are water tight !! Never gave them a chance to see if they were water proof out of the bow.

21-Sep-18
I have a pair of danner pronghorns that are three years old and still waterproof. I just came back from 10 days in Montana and it rained/snowed nearly every day. I treat mine every year. I remove the laces and brush them clean with a soft brush. Then rub in Obenaufs on all the leather and the seams. After that I rub on another coat and hit them with a heat gun to melt it in.

21-Sep-18
Im with Jordan on the lowa tibets. One year elk hunting it rained atleast once everyday. Out of 5 guys in camp I was the only one with dry feet. I did not have gaiters but I did have kuiu guide pants. .

21-Sep-18
Thanks guys I'll look into the boots mentioned. I did use kiwi waterproofing spray right before the trip and I was able to stand in a kiddie pool with no leaks. walking in wet grass seems to be tougher on the waterproofing though because the boot is constantly flexing and forcing the water in.

21-Sep-18
Probably not good to let the boot mfg know.... I put my boots on a wood stove and get them good and warm without hurting or melting them then rub in some good waterproofing boot cream like Sno Seal, Obenhaufs or Kennetrec . After it drys I spray them with some scent free silicone boot spray.

• Sitka Gear