Stoneman 01-Oct-18
axle2axle 01-Oct-18
Treeline 01-Oct-18
goelk 01-Oct-18
ElkNut1 01-Oct-18
24-Sep-18

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Oh ya, sometimes you need to be so focused that it takes everything you have to hold your ground & composure, this was the case 2 days ago for my son, it was awesome! Here's his story of how things unfolded! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know that I can’t do this call in justice. It was unreal the amount of adrenaline that coursed through my body after I touched the trigger. We had to do a couple set ups on this bull to get (as we say) his temperature to start rising. After about 30 minutes of working him we are now within the magic 100-150 yard mark. We make a plan and I go up and get in front of a tree. ElkNut drops back a little to get into some good willows for some raking and calling. I see in front of me two ways the bull could come in. The one to my right would be a straight line between him and my dad and would bring him to about 20 yards broadside.

The other one he would have to side hill around a tree and then he would be facing me at 40 yards. ElkNut starts his magic and you can tell the bull is not happy as he screams back a warning. He is even a little closer then the last time we heard him. My dad starts doing some raking and this is really making the bull commit. A couple more bugles and a few cow calls and I see a flash coming across the mountain heading for that tree I had talked about. It was a rainy morning and the ground was real soft so I could not hear him coming but he is at a full trot.

I have about a half a second to get my bow drawn back before he is going to round the tree. Somehow I get it back before his first eyeball comes around the tree. He has not slowed down and is coming straight at me from 40-30-20 all I can think is that any second he is going to stop and start looking for the other bull (my dad) but there is no stopping. Through my peep all I see are pins and hair coming at me fast. At about ten yards I remember opening both eyes for a spit second and thinking yep I'm dead center in the middle of his chest. As soon as I closed my other eye I saw all pins right where they should be and squeezed the trigger on a frontal shot. The bulls skid marks were FIVE YARDS from where I was kneeling. He hit the breaks hard and took a 90 degree turn. My heart about fell out of my chest. He ran 20 yards in open sight and stopped.

I thought he was going to turn back and try to figure out what just happened but instead both his back legs started quivering and gave out. With hardly any leg kicking he was dead on the ground. I do not know how to describe the feelings that I was going through at that moment. I have been in a lot of elk encounters but none that compare to a not so happy bull running straight for me as if he was going to go right through me. I’m 90 percent sure that he would not have hit me running by but still about sh** my pants. Oh my gosh what a rush!!!! My Dad comes running up from the willows 25 yards below me and was like he was right on top of you. I was like you have no idea, I had a bit of the shakes.

ElkNut/Paul

24-Sep-18
Nice!!!

25-Sep-18
Awesome!

25-Sep-18
Sweet! Congrats.

25-Sep-18
What a massive animal.. congrats

25-Sep-18
Holy smokes. Great bull great story.

25-Sep-18
Sounds like a rush. It's amazing how much more intense hunting is the closer they get and that seems to just continue all the way up to arm's length. I love bowhunting.

25-Sep-18
There is a reason we keep going back! Congrats on a great bull, way to keep it all together!

25-Sep-18
Nice job, sounds like a very memorable hunt!

25-Sep-18
How awesome is that! Congratulations!

25-Sep-18
Congrats!

25-Sep-18
Nice story - I could envision it.

Do you go by 'lil nut?

25-Sep-18
Ha Ha, heck he's bigger than me, he goes by Paul Jr.

Thanks guys for checking it out, it was a great one that sits at the top for us, I love hunting with my Son, I wish both shared that same enthusiasm for elk hunting!

What was priceless for me was the look on Paul Jr face once I saw the arrow fly, I was below him Bugling/Challenging this bull to stay away from my cow once I knew he was inside 75 yards, (this was our 3rd setup on him) I knew this by sound as I could not see anything happening above the small bench Paul was on. At the shot I saw antlers flash in front of him & knew the bull was close to him but not that close! (grin) I can't even describe the look on his face when he turned to look at me, it was one I had not ever seen before. I knew there was something special about this encounter, man you gotta love calling in bulls! I was just paying him back, he called one in for me a few days prior to 15 yards!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Sep-18
Good work guys!

25-Sep-18
Congrats

25-Sep-18
How exciting! Thanks for sharing.

25-Sep-18
Heck yeah, boys! I've shot a few from under 5 yds and know the feeling. Nothing compares. Except maybe doing it with your Dad watching. Congrats!

25-Sep-18
Day.

UM!

That’s a Hoss!

Public? Private? Pref points??

25-Sep-18
Where did that arrow end up? I don't see it juniors quiver. Congrats!

25-Sep-18
GF, it's an OTC public land DIY bull.

Guys, the unusual part of this call in that was a huge adrenaline rush for Paul II was how it happened. He saw the bull turn at 50 yards from the trees coming right to me at a full trot, the bull had to pass Paul II to get to me, the bull stayed at the full trot never breaking stride from 30-25-20-15-10-5 yards, he shot the bull at full trot right in the chest at 5 yards, he didn't want the bull to get by him or no shot would have taken place. Having a bull trotting straight at you at that range not having a clue you are there can be a bit unsettling! (grin) It's the most excitement (in a controlled way) I'd ever seen him show at 40 years old! It was a very rare situation! -- A bull will generally slow some or even turn a bit as he gets close to the calling giving the shooter a chance to pick a spot or even stop him for the shot, this bull tossed all caution aside & barreled in straight at him! It all happened so quick too on that 3rd setup! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Sep-18
Haha awesome! My butthole was puckered reading the story. I called a bull in last week and watched my Dad whack him. Nothing like hunting with my old man! Way to go!!!

25-Sep-18
Congrats to Paul Jr., helluva bull, and a super intense encounter! The epitome of team elk hunting!

25-Sep-18
Awesome!

25-Sep-18
That is awesome congrats

25-Sep-18

As found!
As found!
GBTG, good catch bud! It's right here in this photo, it's exactly how it was retrieved from the bull. We thought it to be unique during autopsy so opened him up & found this! The nock was 6"-8" inside the bull, that's some serious penetration there with a 420 grain arrow! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Sep-18
Awesome calling sequence!

Way to hold it together and make the shot count Paul Jr.! After that, he might need the nickname “Big Nut!” ;-)

The adrenaline rush of having a big bull elk in really close is as good as it gets! Have had to dodge flaying hooves a few times on call-ins and lean back once to keep a bull from knocking my arrow off the rest then shot him at about 3 feet. Actually went “Mano y Mano” once with a bull that wouldn’t give up after two broadheads thru the heart (hell of a rush - not recommended)...

Them guys shooting elk at long range (over 20 yards) are missing out on all the fun!

25-Sep-18
Dudes are legit!

25-Sep-18
Congrats Sir ! Now......time for a thread on what handgun to use to stop and elk charge ! :-)

25-Sep-18
No gun necessary when shooting Ironwills! (grin)

Tavis, that's some good stuff right there! I'll pass on the flying hooves at point blank range! Ha Ha!

ElkNut/Paul

25-Sep-18
Very nice, I'm guessing you have more pics to share???

25-Sep-18
Treeline, you’re making me feel bad about this year!

Elknut, great story!

25-Sep-18
The only thing that would make this story better would be if it was on video! I would love to watch that video! Great memories! Congratulations!

25-Sep-18
Don’t ever feel bad about elk season Ucs! Just being in elk country in September is a blessing - getting an elk is icing on the cake!

Dodging those hooves and not getting hit is worth the price of admission, Elknut! Getting smacked around by a pissed off bull’s antlers and actually having those hooves connect is not something you want to try!

26-Sep-18
Nice!

26-Sep-18
Treeline, you got that right! (grin)

No video on this bull, sometimes we have a simple camera but most occasions we do not. Too much of a pain, we would actually need a dedicated camera guy because we pretty much get too caught up in the encounter to do any good! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

27-Sep-18
*raising hand* I'll be your dedicated cameraman.

27-Sep-18
I'll second that motion!! Congrats Paul and Paul jr.!!

30-Sep-18
Ha Ha, thanks guys. We had another awesome encounter yesterday that would have been top chart stuff, this call in was freaking amazing too, sure wish I had it on video, fun stuff & it keeps me coming back! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

30-Sep-18
Straight up elk killing machines. Seems to be quite a few of those on this forum. Good stuff men.

30-Sep-18
Congrats on a nice elk! Thanks for posting.

01-Oct-18
Craig, you bet!

Justin, yes there sure are, that's what makes Bowsite so interesting! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

01-Oct-18
That's what makes us keep coming back! Even if we are just reading about it this year. Well done!

01-Oct-18
Awesome!

01-Oct-18
Paul,

You could probably charge good money and have a waiting list for guys willing to come out and just follow you around in September with a video camera!

And I bet the results would be a heck of a lot of fun!

01-Oct-18
Awesome!!

01-Oct-18
Tavis, ha ha! Videoing some of these hunts would be fun as long as the cameraman understood his position, it's tougher that some may think but with the right guy it could be awesome! I'm sure others such as Huntman, Otcwill, Yourself, etc could have some great footage from some of their hunts as well! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

• Sitka Gear