Huntcell 26-Sep-18
Huntcell 26-Sep-18
TrapperKayak 26-Sep-18
Huntcell 26-Sep-18
BigOzzie 27-Sep-18
Zbone 27-Sep-18
26-Sep-18

Scrappy's Link
Looks like this one ended a lot better than the one in Wyoming.

26-Sep-18
The only thing higher on the food chain than a grizzly is a person...... with a weapon........ that he knows how to operate.....

26-Sep-18
We are only higher on the food chain if you see the bear charging in time to get your gun out and put the bullet were it counts. If not the bear is on top of the food chain everytime.

26-Sep-18
Call me chicken, but I'll never hunt in grizz country. Ain't worth the nagging anxiety to me.

26-Sep-18
Kodiak...I gotta agree! And I used to hunt griz country when I was younger. I loved the country, the hunting was great, but I was always on edge...the unknown was constantly gnawing in my head.

My best buddy lives in Wyoming and hunts the southern portion of griz country...he's seen two. He's been hounding me to come back out, but two things are stopping me.

One...retirement on a fixed income. I truly can't afford it anymore.

Two...left knee replacement 3 years ago, and the right in need of same. Vertical real estate is no picnic with bum wheels!

But I told my buddy I know why he wants me to hunt with him again...I'm the PERFECT companion for a griz country hunt...I can no longer outrun ANYBODY!!! :^)

26-Sep-18
Bears are big and bad, bad news if you find yourself in conflict with one but, exponentially more so, is a tractor trailer. Or any vehicle for that matter. Yet, most of us will venture among those hundreds of times a year without dread.

26-Sep-18
Is that near Yellowstone? Hunted the Crazies in 2015 and did not worry about Griz. However, I am hunting the Sapphires next year so I am will be diligent. My understanding is that the Griz may be branching out from the Park and closing the gap with Canada? I got a bum knee too so running is not an option.

26-Sep-18
Owl - “Yet, most of us will venture among those hundreds of times a year without dread.”

I consider bears like dogs, there are good one and bad ones and read once where a retired wildlife office wrote - “There are good bears and bad bears”...

Working service daily in people homes, I’ve encounter literaly thousands of dogs and ran into my fair share of bad ones… It only takes ONE bad one to turn into a incident, and knowing my luck would be my turn… Just saying...

26-Sep-18
marktm250

no way north and way west of yellowstone, most likely on the eastern edge of glacier park, what the locals would call the eastern front of the rockies. In my opinion the eastern front of the rockies has likely the highest density of bears around. GreatFalls, Browning, Choteau, Augusta, Lots of bears they were showing pictures of up to 10 Griz in one picture last fall. In the area where this likely happened.

I am going to guess it happened on the north end of the front, if it was midway down they would have gone to Great Falls hospital, and further south Helena hospital, to go to kalispell they must be close to Browning. oz

26-Sep-18
"Working service daily in people homes, I’ve encounter literaly thousands of dogs and ran into my fair share of bad ones… It only takes ONE bad one to turn into a incident, and knowing my luck would be my turn… Just saying..."

- First, good analogy. And as someone who worked in a boarding kennel for years as a child, I learned to read canine body language exceptionally well. I apply those lessons to bears, too, because it works. That stated, the "all it takes is one" rationalization can be applied to vehicular accidents, as well.

26-Sep-18
The difference being the simplicity of avoiding large carnivores while living in the modern world. The same cannot be said for vehicles. For most, it would require a drastic life alteration to be able to avoid vehicles/drivers.

Has there been any more news on this one? Glad it turned out for the best from what we can tell.

26-Sep-18
"Call me chicken, but I'll never hunt in grizz country. Ain't worth the nagging anxiety to me."

And that's why I hunt Grizz country - because many others won't.

26-Sep-18
Eating lunch with a view of the Absorka mt to SE. on moose hunt have bear spice strapped to my chest.

26-Sep-18

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Yesterday
Yesterday
Pic

26-Sep-18
Looks like where I was last week, in the Paradise Valley.

26-Sep-18
Yes Bear canyon trail

27-Sep-18

BigOzzie's Link
Looked a little bit this a.m. this is the only info I could find that added anything to yesterday's story

oz

27-Sep-18
"had just killed a moose and was preparing to move the animal when the bear attacked"

Yeah, sounds like this one was waiting on the dinner bell... There needs to be a season on them to put the fear of humans in them, hope Liz Chaney can get this accomplished...

• Sitka Gear