darkhollow1 03-Oct-18
South Farm 04-Oct-18
sleepingbear 04-Oct-18
LKH 04-Oct-18
Ben 04-Oct-18
Buckhunter 05-Oct-18
palisa23 05-Oct-18
28-Sep-18
I'm looking for easy meals to prepare before the hunt to eat in camp. So far I have hot dish, spaghetti, stew and brats.

Any other ideas for easy to reheat meals when you return from hunting all day?

28-Sep-18
Looks like you have 8 days covered already

28-Sep-18
Are you vacuum sealing these?

28-Sep-18
No I was going to cook at home, put in plastic bags, freeze then take them out the morning I plan to eat for supper.

28-Sep-18
I do the same thing. Freeze meals in tupperware containers, when you get back from hunting start a fire in the wood stove, transfer dinner to a disposable aluminum pan and place on top. Dinner cooks while you unpack/repack and relax.

Other ideas: sloppy joes, burgers, and some kind of mexican dish like carnitas or shredded chicken you can easily throw in a tortilla with salsa and sour cream.

28-Sep-18
Almost any meal can be made to freeze and reheat later very easily. Whenever I make dinners, I make enough for two meals. Pretty much anything; all kind of meats, stews, pasta, anything. Seal the extra meal in FoodSaver Heavy Duty Heat-Seal bags. They can be reheated by just putting them in boiling water. They reheat faster if you thaw, or partially thaw first. The water stays clean to be used again the next day or for dishwashing, if water conservation is desired. We always have a bunch of these meals on hand for all types of camping, or for when we don't feel like cooking that night. Just use a steamer basket in the bottom of the pot to keep the bag off the bottom and in the water.

28-Sep-18
Sometimes when rushing to get ready I grab a couple of the family size chili buckets from Wendy's and freeze them in Tupperware. 4-5 servings per container.

28-Sep-18
I do exactly like Ziek. I have a little portable gas grill for steaks, pork chops, hot dogs, etc., too. Idy's pepperoni, salami, and cheese sandwiches wrapped in foil go good on the grill as well. Cnelk's sausage and cheese on a tortilla is another good foil wrapped meal for the grill.

28-Sep-18
So far the best thing I've eaten in camp is a green chili burrito cooked then vacuum sealed. Boil for about 10min and enjoy. Super easy, super clean and super delicious.

28-Sep-18
Instant mashed potatoes require no refrigeration, are easy to make, fill you with calories and go with many meals.

28-Sep-18
You guys are great. I wish I could be as creative as you with meals, but my hunting partner has a less refined pallet off flavor and taste. He is very basic when it comes to eating and it makes it hard to prepare meals.

28-Sep-18
The best I had last year was my hunting buddy's smoked pulled pork sandwiches. One of the best meals I've ever had after a long day hiking up and down the mountains.

28-Sep-18
Good info.

28-Sep-18
Shit-on-a-shingle, aka, hamburg gravy on toast, or potatoes, always tastes great and is super easy to reheat and serve. I could eat that "sheet" for days! Not sure if it gets any more simple...

28-Sep-18
Easy to freeze about anything and reheat. Enchiladas, Mexican casserole, lasagna, spaghetti. About any casserole dish could be reheated and the recipes are endless. Borrow your wife’s/girlfriends Pinterest account for a few hours and go nuts.

28-Sep-18
We pre cook any type meal preferred. Pasta, stew, Mexican, casseroles. We put them in 2 gallon zip locks. Freeze them flat so they are about 1.5” to 2” thick. They stack better in a cooler then thaw quicker than a 6-10” thick blob. Carried into wilderness this year in a soft sided cooler and they kept for 7 days.

28-Sep-18
Baked potatoes. Pre-cook and wrap in foil. If partner wants simple, toss him some salt and pepper. For yours, top with chile(red or green), cheese, taco meat, pulled pork, roast, chicken.... Good carbs and easy.

28-Sep-18
KFC chicken Maui ribs BBQ ribs Sliced roast beef sandwiches Mac n chs Scallop pots Chicken n noodles

28-Sep-18
We tried making meals at home such as venison American chop suey, sausages with meatballs, and chili and froze them in Zip lock gallon freezer bags. At camp we heated water in a roasting pan on the Coleman stove to heat the freezer bag meals, worked great and NO clean up when used with paper plates.

28-Sep-18
For when you want a quick mess free no clean up meal, I make PP&J sandwiches and transfer the PB into a squeeze tube like the grape or s/berry jelly and have hot coco in a paper cup I can burn in my camp fire. Great calories and tastes great too.

28-Sep-18
I do what Ziek does. Shrimp fettuccini, stroganoff, lots of possibilities that can reheat right in the Foodsaver bag in boiling water.

28-Sep-18
I hunt hard starting early and staggering back to camp long after dark. I’m lucky I can stay awake long enough to eat and I sure don’t have the energy to wait for food to heat let alone clean any dishes. So all of my meals are precooked.... by Mountain House!

28-Sep-18
PBJ sandwich, spam, precook bacon and put in zip lock(for a BLT sandwich)

30-Sep-18

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Meal prep is just part of the hunt. Super easy and zero clean up. Here is 10 meals . I like stew pasta and chili for quick and easy.

30-Sep-18
I do the freeze and boil method on most everything as well. Lots of meats and I'll use Idaho mashed potatoes on the sides for those. Another thing I've been doing is pressure canning breakfast meats. Both sausage and bacon. I rarely eat this and eggs on the mornings I hunt but, its a way to go hunting for 2 weeks and not worry about it spoiling in the cooler for mornings you can't hunt. I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing since we can now hunt 7 days a week in WV on public land but, dumping a pint jar in a big skillet, heating it back up, then add eggs to scramble in it, makes a fine supper that takes about 4 minutes, Works good on those mornings after you filled your tags too. I actually can brats and meats too if its hot so I'm not a slave to running out for ice.

30-Sep-18
The dehydrated hash browns that come in a little milk carton work great for adding to any meal. Add hot water, let sit, drain, and fry like normal. Taste good and we throw all sorts of stuff in the pan to make a meal.

30-Sep-18

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Snack!

01-Oct-18
Don’t know if this was already said but this year I just bought mountain house and tortillas. Made breakfast burritos out of the breakfast stuff.

I’m never going grocery shopping and pre prepping meals again.

03-Oct-18
Stir fry strips of chicken or beef in sweet chili sauce mix with rice and place in vacuum seal or zip lock bags. We usually cook a canned vegetable to go with it. Quick warm up meal.

03-Oct-18
Lasagna - my wife normally pre-makes it (from scratch of course - I'm spoiled) - vacuum seal, freeze in serving portions - as said above, drop in boiling water - no mess. This year wife didn't have time to make it so I just purchased the "Stouffer Lasagna" - I did get some feed back from the guys, it's good, just not as meaty as the home made.

I also make chicken pasta primavera, with extra alfredo sauce - same thing as above.

03-Oct-18
Last year I requested everybody in our group bring pre cooked meals so we could do the boil in a bag thing. Some foods it worked well and some not so much. For a group of 4 if the food was frozen it took a while to boil and to warm up the food. Some foods they became over cooked because it was already cooked and then boiled too long. Example was shrimp alfredo I brought along. To me its just as fast to use Knoor alfredo and pre cooked shrimp and make it from scratch which is 10 minutes or so. 2 years in a row we had lasgna and that was good doing the boil in a bag method. Meats are ok like ribs but better to make the sides fresh like instant mashed potatoes. Old stand by for a fast meal is large hot dogs or bratwurst fried in a pan. Takes like 8 minutes. I even made buffalo chicken dip this year using canned chicken. Threw everything in a pot and cooked for like 10 minutes.

03-Oct-18
If I am hunting out of a truck camp I pre-make Burritos then lay them on the dash of the truck in a zip lock bag while I am out hunting. Also do the same with per-made frozen meals, works great and you have a hot meal ready to eat when you get back to camp.

03-Oct-18
Rock, That sounds like a great way to have a miserable night. Food poisoning ala dash board.

03-Oct-18
Cooked well, it is fine to do that way. I've reheated so many left overs that way while driving from location to location during work, to say it has bad results. Only thing I watch is if the meal has onions in it. Or shrimp

03-Oct-18
We typically vacuum seal portions of burgers, brats, prok chops, and steaks. Throw a meat on the grill and make a batch of instant potatoes, rice, or noodles. Takes very little effort and makes a damn good meal at night when done hunting. Normally pack 1 or 2 cold meat sandwiches for the day depending on if it's an all day hunt or not. Seems to work good for my hunting group.

04-Oct-18
Burritos!

04-Oct-18
Blackened Swordfish, Rib eye, pasta salad was our first dinner, Cajun sausage on Hoagies, miners beans(five different beans with 1lb bacon 1lb elk burger ect) second dinner. Tri Tip and garden salad third dinner, Elk sirloin, pasta salad fourth dinner. Chukar wraps and beans fifth and Elk spaghetti with toasted hoagies on the last. If iam not back packing iam eating well.

04-Oct-18
We freeze things like spaghetti , chili and lasagna in gallon ziplock bags pressed flat. They fit like cards in a deck in a 5 day cooler I have. The trick to getting everything out of the bag is to cut the bottom open an squeeze out from the top.

04-Oct-18
Every time I see you guys talk about lasagna, I think about my last elk hunt. We went to the San Juans and took one of the guys 20 year old son. On the 4th day hunting ( and a days drive to the camp, 5th day) we came in from hunting and the kid was eating lasagna. His dad said " Which cooler is the lasagna in? His son said "It's not in the cooler, it's under the front seat of the truck" The kid had been eating it for 5 days when no one was around. His dad took the last 2 pieces and threw them away before they killed anyone.

05-Oct-18
Deer meat chili!! Yum

05-Oct-18
The article is interesting to me. It is very new and useful. [url=http://www.ufa007.com]??????????????[/url] [url=http://www.ufa007.com]??????????[/url] :R

• Sitka Gear