BOWUNTR 01-Oct-18
wyobullshooter 01-Oct-18
Bou'bound 02-Oct-18
Lever Action 02-Oct-18
carcus 02-Oct-18
Woods Walker 02-Oct-18
Rut Nut 02-Oct-18
28-Sep-18
I am 41 and got my 1st bow when I was 4 or 5. I have shot dozens of whitetails and never had a pass through. Currently I am shooting a Bowtech tribute set to 68lbs with 32" arrows that are 10.3 gpi. I have shot 125 gr broadheads and even tried brass inserts. Arrow weight isn't the problem. During my life I have shot deer with all manner of broadheads and they're razor sharp. On new 3d targets it has taken 2 people to remove my arrow. I can't explain why no pass throughs. Any thoughts from Bowsite?

28-Sep-18
Can not explain why this is. Some of mine are pass thru and some not. As long as the shot is on target and in the sweet spot I really do not care. Good luck in your hunting.

28-Sep-18
Good question maybe you should play the lottery. Only thing I would guess at is that you are a really good shot and you continue to shoot an area of the animal where it does not pass through time after time. Example maybe a quartering away shot that hits the opposite shoulder. I can only speculate. If you are killing animals with no problem I would not sweat it.

28-Sep-18
Arrow not flying completely straight?

Sounds like you have enough arrow mass and momentum

Are you hitting bone all the time?

28-Sep-18
There are WAY too many people who consistently get clean pass-throughs with #40 Recurves to be able to rule out a serious tuning problem. Sounds like your arrows must be hitting sideways.....

And I can’t think of any other explanation... that set-up sounds like you could get a pass-through with a rubber blunt!

28-Sep-18
You’ve only hunted moose and buffalo? ;)

28-Sep-18
What GF said... 1st thing I thought of was the arrow must really be fishtailing.

28-Sep-18

nmwapiti's embedded Photo
nmwapiti's embedded Photo
Hot at 68 lbs with 480 grain arrows, 100 grain wac'ems. Total pass through on my bull elk at 75 yards. You should be blasting through deer. Back when I used 2 blade Magnus Stingers, I dont think my arrow even slowed down going through whitetails.

28-Sep-18
Had complete pass throughs with my 46# recurve, had one whitetail that went through the brisket and out the anus and the arrow went another 10 yrds with a 145 gr Snuffer, looking back majority have been pass throughs, maybe it is from hunting on the ground where the shots have been close in.

28-Sep-18
Where do you aim, and where do you hit?

If you are always shooting at perfectly broadside animals and aiming for "BB's triangle," it is entirely normal to hit the backside shoulder or leg and have the arrow stop in the animal. But if you have ever had too far back shots fail to pass through--think quartering toward animal and arrow flies through front lung-liver-guts and out--the above statement about a poorly tuned, sideways-hitting arrow might not be too far off.

To be honest, usually my great hits don't pass through, and my marginal hits do pass through......

Jeff

28-Sep-18
That setup should pass thru elk and anything else unless arrow hits leg bones. Even hitting deer leg you could likely get a pass through with that setup. Either you're aiming such that you're always hitting bone or something is awry with tuning (arrow striking angled/sideways).

Need more information on where you're hitting deer & how you know your bow is tuned. Also assuming you're not using some oddball extremely wide fixed blade BH or overly large mechanicals.

28-Sep-18
I also agree with GF. With your draw length and set up a passthrough on a whitetail should happen if not hitting the off side shoulder. I would make sure your arrows are flying straight. I have set up 40 pound compounds that get passthroughs on Iowa whitetails.

28-Sep-18
How many deer have you shot?

Where are you hitting?

28-Sep-18
Shoot through some paper at about five yards and see if your arrow tears a wide hole. I bet it will. I shoot a set up with similar energy as yours and get pass throughs often breaking bones.

28-Sep-18
That’s amazing, no pass throughs! I guess I’ve shot 100 give or take big game animals. I can think of a handful, less than 10, that were not pass through. I’ve shot 62-74 pounds, 450-525 grain arrows, and various fixed heads.

28-Sep-18
I'm with Dale06 on this one. Well over a hundred big game archery kills and very few did not pass through, and I only shoot 60 lbs. w/405 grain arrow. In fact, I passed through a moose quartering towards me with this set up. Arrow went in behind front shoulder and exited out rear hind quarter. I can't imagine with your set up, not passing through. Gotta be a flight issue going on there.

28-Sep-18
What Broadheads are you shooting?

28-Sep-18
He's shooting Judo points LOL. Anything else should pass through.

I agree with recommendation for paper tune test just to see how your arrows may be flying. Check that and let us know.

28-Sep-18
Gotta be tune, type of BH, or just bad luck. My wife just shot clean through a Shiras' cow moose at 33 yds. with 45# Hoyt CE, 421 gr (total weight) FMJ 500 tipped with VPA 125 3-blade unvented. She has also shot clean through a cow elk and several smaller critters with the same or similar set-ups. Of course, that's not always the case, but pretty normal unless she hits significant bone.

28-Sep-18
I have shot over 100 whitetails with a recurve(a few with longbows) and I would say I have gotten a pass through on at least 70 percent of those. I have shot anywhere from 80 plus pounds all the way down to my present weight of 47#s and I only draw around 28"s. You are either shoulder shooting everything or have a serious arrow flight issue. I shot a fairly large 6pt last year with a 44# recurve and the arrow blew through like a hot knife through butter. Something is amiss for sure! Shawn

28-Sep-18
Me thinks he’s messin with us!

28-Sep-18
What Charlie said.

28-Sep-18
Ditch the RAGE broadheads...

28-Sep-18
Quit shooting a setup for rabbits!

Bump that arrow mass up to over 650 grains with at least 30% FOC and put a good solid single bevel 300 grain broad head up front! Should do the trick!

Seriously, though. Been shooting critters from javies to moose and bison with +/- 60# long bows for over 20 years and have had a lot of complete pass thrus, even on the bison with a lot less oumpha than what you are getting. You should be blowin thru itty bitty whitetail deer!

28-Sep-18
Tuning is my guess too but I have tuned it myself and paid pro to tune (pros that I know and believe they know what they are doing). I have shot deer with thunder heads, muzzy's, nap cross fires (spinning ferule remember those), cut on contact (can't remember the brand), rage and shwackers. Rage was the worst. Ohiohunter - think you mean defending Super Bowl champs Philadelphia Eagles

28-Sep-18
After 45 and now in my 46th deer season, I can only remember maybe 4 or 5 shots on deer that didn't pass through and be somewhere in or on the ground near where the impact was made. I have always shot fixed 3 or 4 blade heads. I see on the TV shows many shots are made that don't pass through but they most all seem to be shooting a mechanical head.

28-Sep-18
You are either not shooting a Hoyt or a Rage. Let's cut through the chase !

In all seriousness, I recently got pass throughs on a blesbok, 3 impalas (2 through shoulder blades, and a blue wildebeest. Buried arrow to fletching on a quartering away, further back than desired sable (arrow passed thru stomach into lungs. These are animals that ranged from 100 to 600# animals. Five of the six shots were broadside. 52# bow with 507 gr. arrows.& super sharp COC BH's.

With your set up you should be doing some passing thru. I think you need to analyze where you are hitting & what your arrow is making. I agree with others, your arrow flight performance could be an issue along with where and what you are hitting. Perhaps you could shoot your set up with the BH's and get someone to stand behind you and slow-mo video your shooting to evaluate your arrow flight.

Just my 2 cents

28-Sep-18
Charlie nailed it!

28-Sep-18
Unless as other have suggested you are hitting a major bone mass every time like the leg/shoulder joint or the bone that runs through the scapula I can not possibly explain why no pass thru. I have shot well over 30 deer and I only recall any two that weren't complete pass thru. But I've only ever used fixed blade BH's. Of the two both were very sharp down word angles and the arrow went thru and stuck in the ground and were pulled out by the deer's movement, had they not been at such steep down angles I'm 100% certain they both also would've been pass thru. One buck I shot that although I was in a treestand, he was up the ridge from me and almost dead level with me as if I were on the ground. I was shooting a bow set at 65lbs with aluminum arrows and a 100grn T-head BH and the arrow went not just thru but I found it waist high suggesting it would've kept going some distance, in a evergreen about 20 or so yards away. That was an old early 90's PSE with a 8" BH so I'd been lucky if its FPS would've been in the 230's?

28-Sep-18
Shoot through paper,arrows must be sideways.Shot 2 Javelina,complete pass thru thought I had missed partner tagged out without firing a shot!OOPs...My name is MUDD.

28-Sep-18
I shoot a 55# recurve with a 420 grain arrow/broadhead combined weight. I use 3 blade COC heads and it's rare when I DON'T have a full pass through. The last deer I killed with it, the arrow would have been a complete pass through if it hadn't hit the leg on the far side as it went through the chest cavity. I would add that I rarely take shots past 20 yards and I'm extremely picky about the shots that I do take. I like them quartering away from me with the near side leg forward.

28-Sep-18
Even a stick bow (at your specs) would clean through a deer. I am betting it is an arrow tune issue but that's just what jumps to mind. An arrow that is wobbling losses tons of energy on impact. I had a number of bows that I thought were just fine but after attaching a lighted nock and filming over the shoulder, low speed viewing showed the arrow flexing before and on impact. Something to try if you really want to know.

28-Sep-18
Never?

Only one answer; Poor arrow flight.

Think of your arrow as a row of ball bearings......when it hits perfectly straight....all the energy of each bearing pushes to the tip. If the arrow strikes at even a slight angle.....every segment of that arrow [ like ball bearings] vectors its energy to the side- a huge amount of arrow energy is lost.

01-Oct-18
I call BS.

01-Oct-18
Me thinks Charlie is correct

01-Oct-18
your arrows have not been heavy enough

momentum is everything -trad shooters know it, compounders have forgotten it

mechanical broadheads impact that lack of passthrough too - but nothing more so than arrow weight

01-Oct-18
Troll... Ed F

01-Oct-18
32” arrows @ 10.3 gpi, 125gr BH’s, brass inserts, and his arrows aren’t heavy enough? Next you’ll tell us he needs 30% FOC. Good grief.

02-Oct-18
never had a pass-thru.............that qualifies you for your own hunting show on the Outdoor Channel.

02-Oct-18
^^^

HA!

02-Oct-18
Not possible

02-Oct-18
Bou' for the win!!!!

02-Oct-18
How many animals have you shot? I find it hard to believe unless you have only shot a handful of animals.

• Sitka Gear