Treeline 01-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 01-Oct-18
Adventurewriter 01-Oct-18
GhostBird 01-Oct-18
smarba 01-Oct-18
28-Sep-18

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
A person who encouraged me to give sculpting a try is someone I actually met here after we became friends over art and kind of planted the seed to give it a try. The missing Buff skull was the catalyst. I have posted a few sculptures in the past and humbled to be featured in an magazine like "Sporting Classics" and is the current fall "Hunting and Shooting" special and on the new stands now. . I am up to over 30 pieces now and have lots more ideas. The last piece that is at the foundry right now three Cape Buffs abreast full of posture and attitude, a cracked mud pan, a buff and lion skull sticking out of the mud, the name of the piece is "The Good_The Bad and the Ugly' you know a graveyard like the last scene in the movie....This is just plain fun!!!!! As is stated in the story I will always consider myself a hunter first...artist second. Almost all of my pieces are inspired by hunting and my deep connection to the animals, the pursuit and the wild places they call home. I'm all in an it has been a crazy journey and its tons of hard work but I love it...this year as last I will be in Safari Club...Dallas Safari club.... Sheep Show....OVIS....so stop by and say hi....

28-Sep-18

28-Sep-18

28-Sep-18
Also thanks to Dale Lahotka fro help me convert this file ;)

30-Sep-18
What an artistic talent you do indeed have man.

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

30-Sep-18
Beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us.

30-Sep-18
Being the son of an art teacher who was also my hunting mentor and best friend, I've had a life long appreciation and respect, bordering on pure awe, of that incredible gift.

I should add that, sadly, my dad's talent skipped a generation. If the wind's right, and I've got a ruler, I can draw a straight line...lol.

Anyway, my most prized possessions are the five wildlife oil paintings adorning my walls. Moose, Alaskan brown bear, whitetail bucks, mulies in a mountain snow setting, and a herd bull elk hearding his harem. I've given three others as gifts to a cousin and my two kids.

I'd watch dad sit cross legged on the floor staring at a canvas, and watch him swipe here, dab there, and "poof"...a deer would magically appear! I also know the hours involved in such creations.

Beautiful work there, my friend...good on ya, mate!

30-Sep-18
Nice! Find your gift! Everyone has one!

30-Sep-18
Beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us.

30-Sep-18
I love Sporting Classics,,,, nice art work, appreciated by all

30-Sep-18
Thanks guys you have no idea how much I enjoy doing it.. I just started about six years....the pages posted are hard to read....and of course I would encourage any one to pick up a copy of Sporting Classics but the picture are hard to read the text....and if you like here it is really a crazy journey and the driving passion is my love for hunting, those animals and those wild places that are such a part of my life...and it is more detailed in the article..hunters will understand where I am coming from and my inspiration....its the hunt...

Ted Schnack’s life as a sculptor began in a rather abstract way— in the red dirt of east Africa. He was pursuing a lifelong dream to hunt Cape buffalo. After what he described as “a running adrenaline dump of dirt, blood and flying brass,” his life was changed that day. “Little did I know then the affect that old, mud-caked, battle-scarred bull would have on me,” Ted told me recently. “I wanted to spend the rest of my life looking at that Cape buffalo skull as a daily reminder, but that just wasn’t in the cards. There was a whole different game brewing.” Ted had left the skull behind to be prepped, packed and sent to the States. But in the sometime swampy waters of African mail and international shipping, the skull never arrived. “I finally resigned myself to the fact that it was never coming,” he admitted. “But I had this nagging desire to have something to put my hands on. Then the wheels began to turn. “I have always felt deeply connected to art and fascinated by the power and three dimensions of bronze. So on a whim, I decided to try creating a fist-sized bronze art of charging Cape buffalo changed ted schnack’s life and made him into a sculptor. bust of the buffalo to commemorate the hunt. I never would have tried it if the skull had arrived. It was fate that a lost Cape buffalo skull changed my life.” It was likely the same type of fate and creative spark that took hold of Ted after a do-it-yourself bighorn sheep hunt in his home state of Colorado. That experience drove him to the keyboard to share the story. Ted went from never having written anything longer than a letter home, to having a number of adventure stories grace the pages of Sporting Classics. Ted has been a lifelong lover of art so when he began working in bronze, it was like a beast inside had been unchained. He was 52 when he cast his first piece—a late start for such an undertaking. To add to the challenge, Ted’s day job did not afford much time to sculpt. Ted was spending 70 percent of his time dodging bullets and bombs in the Middle East. His “cushy vacation” spots included Iraq, Pakistan, Kosovo, Jordan and Bangladesh, where he served as a Tactical Police Instructor for the Department of Justice. “It was good money and challenging work,” he said. “Half our wages were hazard and danger pay, and we earned every cent of it. But no, not exactly a place to start a career in art.” Ted knew he would eventually leave the overseas life behind because it was too hard to concentrate while trying to sculpt in dicey locations behind the front lines. One of his first creations was a full-bodied elk, Rut Strut, that was the size of a schnauzer. “I work in an oil-based clay, “which gives me the ability to sculpt any time I want,” he explained. “But it’s also extremely easy to damage before the mold-making process. “I had to get my sculpted clay piece out of Pakistan without damage, getting arrested or causing a panic at the airport. It was going to be a little tricky. “I cut the elk in pieces, froze them to firm up the clay, carefully packed them and hoped for the best. “The armature is a made up of metal, with wires running out to help support the legs. Imagine what that looked like coming through the airport x-ray machine,” he laughed. “I saw it on the screen and it looked like a plastic bomb pronged with detonator wires. The old, slump-shouldered cop watching the screen sat straight up and pulled the bag aside, although he didn’t reach for the AK-47 leaning against the table, which I took to be a good sign. “This was the moment of truth. He called over several more cops and, after my song and dance, they congratulated me on the elk and sent me on my way.” As a self-taught artist, Ted realized that he had to trust his artistic instincts. “The more I do, the more I realize I have to see things, both good and bad, and sense opportunity in the work. Once those whispering voices have quieted, and the opportunity is realized, you know the piece is done and ready for casting. “As an artist we are influenced by all our experiences of life,” Ted noted. “And I consider myself a hunter-artist. Notice I put hunter first. I have found that the best wildlife artists are hunters. Bob Kuhn was a hunter and has had the single-most effect on me as an artist. “Kuhn understood gesture and character and finding ways to bring subtle power to his paintings to best show off the animal. He was the master of the whole spectrum of nature, from the most nuanced of moments to full-out action and everything in between. He said ‘nature gives us the raw materials . . . it is up to us as artists to find the art.’ “I can tell by looking if an artist is a hunter. I can sense it in their work. The hunter understands gesture, character and slight nuances of animals on a much deeper level. As an example, a 7-year-old bighorn sheep carries itself differently than a 13-year-old ram. Look at a 25-year-old and a man at 60. “I’m not looking to make animal replicas or focus on what will sell. I’m looking to drill down and find the character of the animals. I am keeping true to the anatomy, yet using a loose enough sculpting style to give the bronze a chance to show its true power.” Ted went on to say that hunters engage with the animals on a much deeper level. “Through the whole array of emotions,” he said, “I’ve lived around these animals my whole life. We see and feel those animals through a much more personal optic.” According to Ted, sculpting is another way to manifest his deep connection with the animals and the wild places they call home. “You’re out there in the grit and the grime, in blizzards and scorching heat, precarious cliffs and other challenges that can easily kill you. We battle through exhaustion and the struggles just to see them, to smell their musk, to possess them, to consume them, to touch them, and imagine where they have been, what they’ve done.” Ted considers himself a storyteller in bronze. “Some of the stories are obvious. The vintage hunter (The Cliff Hanger) hanging by his fingertips, dropping a rope to a bighorn ram that has been shot and crashed over a cliff. It leads someone viewing it to ask: ‘What the heck is he going to do when he lassoes that ram?’ “I like drama and I like action—trying to capture a moment. A moment of importance in that animal’s life, because not every moment is worthy to be captured in a piece.” It’s the slight gestures and nuances that bring Ted’s pieces to life. The face of an old ram with his battered horns worn by time and battle. The slight head cock and wider eyes of a mule deer buck about to blow out, the deep wrinkles of wisdom of the Cape buffalo, nose up, eyes burning, looking for trouble. Or a more obvious story – a cheetah running down its prey—a balance of grace, momentum, inertia, that moment of life and death. The timeless story of nature. “Considering he is self-taught and has only been at it for six years is astonishing,” said Sporting Classics Editor-in-Chief Ryan Stalvey. Ted’s unique work has a bold voice that has turned me into a fan and personal collector.” Putting his life and future on the line, Ted Schnack decided to dive in and not look back, taking the ‘calculated risks’ that have brought him countless times to the wilderness or war zone. “For me, the best of life is a little close to the edge,” Ted concluded. “A little risk is good for the soul.” n Editor’s Note: For more on Ted Schnack sculpture, visit schnackcreative.com.

30-Sep-18
We have a lot of talented guys on Bowsite. You certainly qualify for that description. Capturing realistic images of wildlife is a real art. I would be interested in seeing some bigger and better pics of your sculptures.

30-Sep-18
Congratulations. I didn't know SC would run any articles about people who were still alive.

30-Sep-18
Bowriter ahhahah...hope that isn't a prophecy!!! Drycreek Love all the animals but particularly obsessed with Sheep and Cape Buff....so much character to work with as and artist...this is the face of my first sculpture and the one that changed my life....he is standing over a broken shield and spear...

30-Sep-18

30-Sep-18

This is based on a Bull i was on my knees full draw 7-8 yards away while he showed off to some cows..Strutting its called "Rut Strut" a net of willows prevented the shot and the wind shifted and you know the rest of the story but now I can skulpt I get my hands on him and when I look at it I remember that moment

30-Sep-18

This Is based on a pheasant hunting machine lab I had "Cool Hand Luke"....

30-Sep-18

I've done several lions including a maneater actually in the process of eating a man....based on a true story lions are just bad ass!!!

30-Sep-18
Wow incredible!!!

30-Sep-18
Fantastic stuff, Ted! Thanks for sharing this with everyone.

01-Oct-18
Great stuff!!!

01-Oct-18

Thanks all Lou not all fur and horn...

01-Oct-18
Amazing talent, Ted! You have certainly been blessed.

01-Oct-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hey Ted, and here I thought you were inspired by Mr. Wonderful. See you shortly in the duck blind. Paul

01-Oct-18

Paul I am looking forward to it....and although the jumping lab was sculpted before meeting "Mr Wonderful" it has the same spirit.

Tavis you touched on a HUGE part of this journey any ability I have is a blessing...I work really hard on it...but a blessing for sure...this is an area I am also working in.....their piece is done but I only have picture during the working stage now....

01-Oct-18
Fantastic work... really beautiful. Congratulations on your new found talent and a great magazine article.

01-Oct-18
Awesome Ted! Thx for sharing!

• Sitka Gear