stick n string 29-Sep-18
pa10point 29-Sep-18
Bowriter 30-Sep-18
stick n string 30-Sep-18
Firsty 01-Oct-18
GLP 01-Oct-18
Lever Action 02-Oct-18
29-Sep-18
2 hours till departure for the tree stand. The wind is perfect and very light at 2mph. Something has changed over the last few years, where I am not thinking/feeling the same about deer hunting and I cant say why it is but I have been hearing a lot of guys saying the same thing. I think it might be due to age. Pretty sure of it. But then again, it could be due to the fact that it is hard to get pumped up about hunting when it is more a matter of luck than skill when you actually see a deer. Ohio sucks for deer density and therefore, sucks during deer season. I wonder if I would feel different if I were not here. Maybe it is nothing more than knowing luck is required as opposed to just the requirement of time on the stand. Of course, there is the physical limitations that have changed also. The pains don't go away anymore. They don't really subside either. Climbing trees is soon to be a thin of the past and ground blinds a necessity, if I want to keep hunting. Making the act of being lucky even more remote than it already is. I find the old line about the challenge of the hunt to be lost on me. At least here. There isn't a challenge to sitting on the side of the road, waiting for an accident ….if you are a tow truck driver who is sitting in the middle of a desert. Could it happen? sure. Is it likely? The property I have access to is loaded with Turkey and the thought of going after them seems much more desirable than going after the few deer I have seen. This makes me believe that it is a percentage of opportunity that makes me want to hunt and a lack of opportunity that makes me want to stay home. I don't even like turkey hunting. It's boring and a pain in the ass to my thinking. But yet... I would be all for it because it has a higher chance of success. That's why I believe it may well be where I live that has changed me as opposed to how old I am but who knows. Anyway.... Here I go again. We will see what this year brings.

29-Sep-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
LOL-I hunted yesterday morning, saw 8, including a buck I thought I wounded last year, passed up shots on a doe with triplet fawns and two small bucks. Came home, mowed the yard and went back out yesterday afternoon, saw three, including the same buck, (probably 135-140 class-big for around here.), got down at dusk with full intention of hunting this morning. Got up about 1:30 with every muscle in my body screaming. I have a lot of deer, won't be hard for me kill three for the freezer. The season has been open exactly one week and I have hunted a total of seven hours, seen 22 deer. Just how, how I ask, can simply sitting in a stand, make you so dang sore? Last time I felt like this was when I tried to drive the motorcycle through the stone wall. Think I'll sit back and read.

29-Sep-18
We never heard of the buck you wounded last year John....you holding out on us?

29-Sep-18
I agree with low deer densities in Ohio. It’s an all or nothing game. I hunted Kelly Harris’s property and deer were pretty scarce. It was as much about the social hour afterward as anything. But there was always a chance of getting a crack at a nice buck. Maybe you need to add a partner to liven things up a but. It’s nice to text back and forth to see what’s going on in another spot. If you just want to see more deer maybe make the trip to Pennsylvania. Higher numbers over there. Or maybe you’ve just lost the drive to kill. It happens.

29-Sep-18
I agree with Mule Power about the hunting partner. For me, it helps to share the excitement and misery with others

29-Sep-18

This is the picture I posted.
This is the picture I posted.
Starting feelin better and left the house at 7:15. Walked right into a mess of turkeys and started feeling bad, again. Walked back in the house. Put me a bunch of cutlets in marinade and smoked me some. Reckon I won't starve until I feel like killing something. Hmmm, where the heck did that picture come from? That aint no turkey. That picture is not mine, have no idea where it came from.

Now, about hunting partners. All mine have been gone for several years. I have hunted alone for the last 12-15-years and rather enjoy it. In fact, have passed up a few hunts rather than put up with some folks. Although the loss of a hunting partner can be a problem, it doubt it is near as big as getting old. At some point, you may just say to yourself, "I have killed enough." I realized that at the end of last year. It was quite costly...made me buy a new camera and lens. But that still aint my sidwise bear picture.

29-Sep-18
We never heard of the buck you wounded last year John....you holding out on us?

No, rifle shot at some distance, through some brush. Found couple drops of blood and that was it. Still not 100% if I hit him or it was multi-flora rose. Either way, he is still kinda like me, hobblin around on all fours. Not a monster but pretty big for this area. BUT...my barber showed me a picture of one behind his house that is a legit 185+ typical. Probably be a new state record if he kills him. He killed a 173 two years ago and this one at least 15" bigger.

29-Sep-18
It was opening day for us here today, but I was on my tractor at daylight this morning. Been too wet tp plant u til this week so I spent yesterday and today planting wheat, Austrian winter peas, and medium red clover. I hope they appreciate it........

29-Sep-18
I dont believe for a second that people dont line up down the street to hunt with you, John

29-Sep-18
See Matt ANderson threads from Ohio hunting the last couple years. Seems ok to me

30-Sep-18
Oh, I actually have quite a few fans, Stick and Fling. Some of them even use traditional equipment. But they are not so hypocritical. :)

30-Sep-18
In case there may be any confusion, i’m not a fan. And just as you like to turn others’ thread into a look at you thread, i just enjoy getting my thoughts about it out there. :) :) :)

01-Oct-18
Hey John can you lay off the negativity a little ,some of us still enjoy life.......

01-Oct-18
Live in Ohio. Seen 13 deer Saturday morning. This was way above average for me. But don’t have a problem seeing deer. My son hunts public and has no problem finding deer. Yes there used to be more deer. But still good. Last year, after filling my tags, I drove through some public land and counted 11 out of state hunters and not 1 Ohio plate . I will just keep hunting and smile. Greg

02-Oct-18
I have a hunting partner. I hunted alone until 10 years ago and actually, I never understood the idea of hunting with someone else. After I got together with her, that all changed. Now I have less drive if she is not with me.

So....

The first two days turned out better than I ever could have expected. I saw 3 deer in two days, which is more deer (per day) than I have seen in 7 years. My attitude changed 100% I guess it is all based on deer numbers after all. Now I am looking forward to hunting the good days.

• Sitka Gear