Contributors to this thread:
Bowfreak 30-Sep-18
Aspen Ghost 30-Sep-18
WV Mountaineer 30-Sep-18
Bowfreak 01-Oct-18
cnelk 01-Oct-18
Bowfreak 01-Oct-18
30-Sep-18
I have a fridge I've been using for deer meat for a few years. It works great but I'm wanting to rig it up with a couple of meat poles across the top so that I can hang quarters whole. I'm pretty sure elk quarters will fit too based on some measurements you guys gave me in the past.

My thoughts were to make a simple wood cleat with a couple of half circles cut out to allow a piece of rigid conduit to span across the top of the fridge. My question is....are there any coolant lines or anything of substance that is on the sides of a newer fridge? I don't want to drill a few holes through the fridge and ruin it.

I can get pics and model information if that helps anyone?

30-Sep-18
My understanding is that there are not coils in the wall of modern side by sides. They have the coils in the back of the freezer side and just blow a certain amount of air into the refrigerator side to cool it.

I don't know if units other than side by side are the same. If you look up various repairs for your model on the web (there seems to be endless amounts of repair videos for refrigerators) you can probably figure out where the coils are on your model.

But would be pretty easy to attach the wood cleats without drilling into the side. Could use vertical 1x2s or conduit to hold the wood cleats at the right height and as horizontal cross pieces to hold the cleats against the walls. Probably a good epoxy adhesive would also hold them in place.

30-Sep-18
I gotta agree. I have no idea if drilling one would work. But, I’m pretty sure epoxy the cleats would work. Especially if you reinforce with the horizontal pieces. Good luck and God Bless

01-Oct-18
I didn't think about Epoxy. That's a good idea. I originally was going to support them with a wooden frame but due to the funky shape of the fridge bottom I started leaning toward just drilling through the side. I think if I add epoxy and the vertical supports it would be sufficient.

01-Oct-18
Mark - if you use some PL400 construction adhesive on the vertical supports, that will hold them, especially if you wedge the horizontal pieces tight to hold in place until set.

The shear strength is only a downward motion, so if the vertical pieces rest on the bottom of the frig and glued to the sides, the horizontal pieces will stay in place

Good luck

01-Oct-18

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
I bought my daughter a new bed earlier this year and saved the slats for kindling. They worked perfect for a frame. All I need are (4) 26" pieces to span in between the braces (front and back at bottom and top) and some conduit or something to span the top for a meat pole(s).

• Sitka Gear