WV Mountaineer 30-Sep-18
beckerbulldog 01-Oct-18
elkmtngear 01-Oct-18
Deertick 01-Oct-18
Bowriter 01-Oct-18
WAK 01-Oct-18
Buckhunter 01-Oct-18
30-Sep-18
Looking for a new vacuum sealer. We use ours a lot -- for game processing, but also quite a bit of sous vide cooking. I see such a wide variety of prices ... but I'm not sure how price correlates with what I need: a basic vacuum sealer that can handle frequent use. Any advice is appreciated!

30-Sep-18
What are you using now, John? I have a Food Saver that has worked for years. I read on another thread on here that several guys are recommending a chamber vacuum sealer but they are damn expensive!

30-Sep-18
Thanks, Nick. I’m using a Magic Vac now. The chamber ones would be nice but are beyond what I need. Just wondering difference in sub-$100, $100-$200, $200-$400 varieties. I have to think the basic “suck-and-seal” function is the same for all, right?

30-Sep-18
I'd go with a food saver. I have two basic ones. One food saver and a kitchen aid I believe. the food saver is far superior because it will seal liquid stuff. The knock off brand won't do that. The slightest bit of moisture it sucks up into the sealing chamber causes it not to get all the liquid out and it won't seal. Food saver just rolls on.

30-Sep-18
I also have a Food Saver vac sealer with the moist/dry option.

Works good. I have discovered to wipe the heater bar with a dry paper towel occasionally. That will alleviate any sealing issues due to moisture

30-Sep-18
Food saver here too. I found it on slickdeals for cheap! Works great. My previous food saver worked for a good 10 years before it bit the dust.

30-Sep-18
Food Saver here as well.

30-Sep-18
Food Saver it is, then! Thanks, all. Is there an argument to make for different price points?

30-Sep-18
Mine costs about $110. Works great.

01-Oct-18
Food Saver here as well.

01-Oct-18
Foodsaver. I've had several over the last 10 years or so.

When it dies, I usually just buy a new one at Costco. Generic bags are cheap on Amazon.

01-Oct-18
Ordered a food saver ... did get a recommendation for a refurb ... but didn't pull the trigger on it as I wanted some features it didn't have. If anyone is looking, though -- try the FoodSaver website. Good deals (like $25 for the one mentioned!)

01-Oct-18
Spend as much as you can afford. If you can handle it, get a commercial model. I get maybe, two years out of any Food Saver model. I use one a lot. Last year, I spent $400 and went commercial. Best investment I ever made.

01-Oct-18
Vac Master VP 215. About $600 delivered online. (Do a google search). Have had it for 7-8 years. Bags on the chamber sealers like this cost a ton less than the food saver bags. If you use it enough, you will save money in the long run bc of bag price. Plus, you can seal liquids, marinate meat in 30 seconds, etc. Also, that’s how I pack my leftovers to take to work—no Tupper ware to wash. If you can afford the initial cash outlay, chamber machines are probably the cheaper way to go.

01-Oct-18
Wak x2 I have the vac master as well and if you use a lot you will save a lot of money in bags! A bag for the food saver is roughly 40 cents a bag for the vac master is roughly 3 cents not to mention the quality of the job with the vac master is far superior

• Sitka Gear