Hawk Helium Climbing Sticks Question
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Dagwood_55 01-Oct-18
Aces11 01-Oct-18
Dagwood_55 02-Oct-18
South Farm 02-Oct-18
01-Oct-18
I've been using LW climbing sticks for years, but as I've gotten older the single sided steps have been harder for me to use. So I got the bright idea to switch over the Hawk Helium steps. I bought 4 sets or 12 sticks. But after using them for a couple of days, not sure I really like them. My problem is the bottom part of the stick does not stay locked down on the tree. So as I climb up or down the lower step I grab is moving away from the tree whereas the LW sticks are usually rock solid.

Am I doing something wrong?? Or maybe it really doesnt matter and I should just get used to them.

01-Oct-18
I use the hawk helium with no issues. I did put the lone wolf versa buttons on the hawk sticks and they are very solid.

02-Oct-18
I've been using LW climbing sticks for years, but as I've gotten older the single sided steps have been harder for me to use. So I got the bright idea to switch over the Hawk Helium steps. I bought 4 sets or 12 sticks. But after using them for a couple of days, not sure I really like them. My problem is the bottom part of the stick does not stay locked down on the tree. So as I climb up or down the lower step I grab is moving away from the tree whereas the LW sticks are usually rock solid.

Am I doing something wrong?? Or maybe it really doesnt matter and I should just get used to them.

02-Oct-18
I have a set, don't use 'em much any more as I tend to ground hunt more and more, but when I did use them I had to make sure I pulled the wrap-around strap nice and tight and then when you go up them give just a little bounce of weight so they draw down and dig in...if the strap is too loose they won't dig in. Also, as you descend never use the bottom step of each stick as your hand-hold...use the middle one as it's less likely to pull away from the trunk of the tree.

• Sitka Gear