BOWNBIRDHNTR 03-Oct-18
CSAL 03-Oct-18
midwest 03-Oct-18
TwoDogs@work 03-Oct-18
WV Mountaineer 03-Oct-18
HorbachJ 04-Oct-18
Franzen 05-Oct-18
02-Oct-18
Are turkeys Around your deer stand area a good sign for deer activity?

02-Oct-18
Turkey and deer have a really cool, symbiotic relationship....turkey have great eyesight and can see colors, deer have a wicked good sense of smell. When they are in close proximity to each other, it increases their odds of detecting danger quickly. I had deer and turkey in a field together last night.....and suddenly, the turkeys were gone....and seconds later, the deer ran away. Two minutes later, four coyotes ran through the middle of the field. However, I don't know if I would associate turkeys with deer activity....they simply take advantage of the situation when it presents itself.

02-Oct-18
Yes and no. If you are hunting over a very limited food source during times deer are mainly on a feed pattern, then it is a good sign. Otherwise, it really doesn't mean much.

02-Oct-18

02-Oct-18
Turkeys are usually the kiss of death for my deer hunts. I've had terrible luck with them around.

02-Oct-18
It just seems they come through and ravish the area of acorns. It’s great that they can coexist in the same area though. The area I’m set up in has a ton of turkeys, I’m just hoping they don’t deter the deer from coming through the same area.

02-Oct-18

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Not good or bad - neither views the other as a threat. If you don't like the turkeys or don't want them around - buy a turkey tag - poof they will disappear. LOL

02-Oct-18
I have watched a buck walk and feed right along with a flock of turkeys. I am sure that he felt safer with all of the turkey eyes around.

03-Oct-18
I wonder if a turkey decoy would help the hunt...

03-Oct-18
Agree with ya woodguy65, the best turkey deterrent is a turkey tag in you your pocket. They can smell, see, hear, taste and feel them a mile away!

03-Oct-18
My first "NICE" buck I shot was actually pushed to me by turkeys. It could have gone either way. I saw him come out one ridge over and the turkeys where in the tip between ridges and off to the side behind some thick stuff about 80 yards away from him. From watching him I could see that he heard them but could not see them and was concerned about what was making the all the noise. We slowly tried to sneak around them constantly looking to try to get a visual. It worked out great for me as that brought him right to my stand and had his attention focused on where the noise was coming from. Wound up with a 5 yard shot at the 9 pointer. They easily could have bumped him the other way as well though.

03-Oct-18
I hate having them around when I'm in the deer stand. Can't move and they usually spot me anyway. Puts any deer in the area on full alert.

03-Oct-18
Hrbachj; In past years I often put out a turkey decoy while deer hunting. Does and fawns would often react to it by approaching it. They were not alarmed by it. I used it to distract the does while trying to fill an antlerless tag. Bucks never seemed to pay it much attention. I did this because of how deer reacted to a turkey decoy while I was turkey hunting. I don't know why I quit. I will have to try this again.

03-Oct-18
Deers react to the decoys like cows do, around here. They curiously check it out until gaining enough courage to get close enough for a whiff. When the residual human odor is finally inhaled, they jumpnlike being hit with an electric fence. Bound off and, then snort a time or fifty. :^)

04-Oct-18
I’ve got turkeys everywhere in my hunting area, blowing up my trail camera but no deer coming through. So funny- I made a huge mock scrape and that afternoon the turkeys were all over it making a mess of things.

05-Oct-18
Can you not get a tag or six for turkeys?

• Sitka Gear