jcurri 02-Oct-18
casekiska 02-Oct-18
Lever Action 02-Oct-18
Pat Lefemine 02-Oct-18
drycreek 02-Oct-18
GotBowAz 03-Oct-18
02-Oct-18

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I discuss my first week of deer season using my new QuietKat eBike.
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
I discuss my first week of deer season using my new QuietKat eBike.
Three weeks ago I did a review of my new QuietKat eBike. I had spent a couple of days using it, mostly on roads and trying out the accessories.

This past week I had a chance to use it in the field during the first week of deer season in Rain, Sun, more Rain and still more Rain! I wanted to give you guys my first (objective) impressions. This should apply to both the QuietKat and any eBike.

Overall it's better than I imagined it would be. I have access to all of my stands quickly. Walks that used to take 45 minutes now take 5. Saving time, not spooking game, and not getting there all sweated up. The battery life is amazing and the best part is I am flying by deer that used to hear me walking - now they can't figure out what the hell just zipped by them. I pedal only on hills and I run on power 95% of the time. Just yesterday I cruised by a doe and 2 fawns bedded 30 yards off the trail and they stood up but never ran off.

I had no problem pedaling and riding with my whitetail gear on including my big LaCrosse boots. Backpack and bow strapped to the pack was no problem except for one GIANT MISTAKE which I will describe at the end of this update.

The only downside is my own fault. Entirely due to inexperience and a long time since I rode a bike. I decided to take the bike off trail with big rocks and downed trees. Not a good experienced. I tried to go about 5-10mph in an area that I thought was a smooth trail but it wasn't. I hit a rock, lost control and crashed my bike into a tree. No harm, but I did break the light off the handle bar. It was easily fixed with super glue but I am learning how much I can push the off-road thing. The next time I took the bike I stayed on established trails and walked the last 500 yards on the rougher trail. My suggestion is you clean the trails to your stand in the off season, remove any trees and branches and especially big rocks.

So, it has limitations that you need to understand. But it is a total game changer and it's especially terrific for hot weather when everyone dreads a long sweaty walk to the stand.

Unfortunately, the eBike may have cost me a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I took my QuietKat to my 2nd further stand. It was the day I drove on the rough trail. I got off my bike and decided to keep my bow strapped to my pack until I reached the stand. As I was walking I heard a twig snap which was not natural. I looked in the direction of the sound and there is a mature black bear walking right at me. He never heard me and was just out for a stroll. I dropped to my knees and took off my pack. I could not get the bow unstrapped in time and the bear walked by me broadside at 25 yards. He stood there looking at me trying to unstrap my bow and then bolted. I have a NY Bear tag and the season is open. If I had my bow in hand...dead bear.

Oh well, not the eBike's fault. Hunter error.

Hope you found this helpful.

02-Oct-18
What kind of hills in your area? Only reason I keep himhawing about one is my area has some steep terrain (Buffalo County WI). That and they always seem to be behind and backordered when Im think I have convinced myself. That goes for Quietkat and Rambo

02-Oct-18
Thanks for the update Pat! My wife loves "her" ebike, and I think it is pretty cool as well:)

02-Oct-18
Longbowbud, I live in the central Rockies, and it doesnt get any steeper than here. My Rambo and my GF's RAD Rover will climb anything that you're capable of hanging onto a bike to ascend without tipping over backward. We went up a ridiculously steep trail on Saturday with no issues except when rocks got too big in a couple spots, and we had to walk over them. I'm sure the QuietKat will do the same.

02-Oct-18
I agree with Lou. My land is in Vermont and very steep. I have a Rambo and it can climb pretty much anything. On my property the bike is perfect and has made a huge difference.

02-Oct-18
Longbowbud, I live in the central Rockies, and it doesnt get any steeper than here. My Rambo and my GF's RAD Rover will climb anything that you're capable of hanging onto a bike to ascend without tipping over backward. We went up a ridiculously steep trail on Saturday with no issues except when rocks got too big in a couple spots, and we had to walk over them. I'm sure the QuietKat will do the same.

02-Oct-18
I found it helpful. I also found it funny as heck picturing you wreck it. Not that I enjoy you getting hurt. The reason being, my first experience on a bike after 15 years of not riding one resulted in a huge crash that left my fishing pole broke. It wasn't as easy and care free as I remembered it as a kid.

02-Oct-18
I just broke my arm on a regular bike. So pissed.

02-Oct-18
Thanks for the ebike info. I am considering one and any impartial info is good to get. One question,...so you drive it out to your stand...do you drive it right to the tree...do you leave it 50 yards away...how do you handle this? How far? Do you camo cover it? Lock it?

02-Oct-18
I think the reason you missed the bear is the better story. Same thing (sort of) happened to me last year. I didn't have a bow in my hand when I should have. I had never not had my bow in my hand and I never will do it again, when I am in a place where I could (at any moment) shoot that bow and need too.

Sorry to hear you missed out but I am sure you will have more opportunities.

02-Oct-18
Casekiska, I do not drive right to the tree. When I had the bear encounter I had parked the bike and walked the last 200. But now I am walking 500 yards since the trail is too rough. I’m on my own land so I don’t lock it or hide it. Not necessary.

02-Oct-18
I can see where an e-bike could be as useful as a cart, or even more so in some areas. I've been using an electric cart for years and would be lost without it. Our archery season is almost always so warm you just can't hunt afternoons without sweating profusely if you have to walk very far. Sometimes mornings are the same. It's not much fun to get to your stand with sweat running down your crack. I find that deer pay little attention to it unless they are really close. I have a box stand that I use when night hunting hogs and I've killed hogs just ten or fifteen minutes after driving to the stand and parking in the bushes behind it.

03-Oct-18
Thanks for the review Pat. Also thanks for the reminder with not having the bow in your hand walking to your stand. I did that once before myself packing in a mile or so. Now i carry my bow on my shoulders so that I am still hands free but capable of having the bow with easy access. Your review of the Ebike was very enlightening and I can possibly see one in my future. I have a perfect spot that I need to travel 1.5 miles to before i start a mile hike in. its all up hill which is why the ebike would work out so well but smooth traveling up to a point where i must hike in. Trying like heck to get my wife to buy into the idea. Currently she wants our house re-tiled so im not winning this battle just yet. LOL Please keep your experiences with it coming.

• Sitka Gear