skookumjt 08-Oct-18
Surfbow 08-Oct-18
stealthycat 08-Oct-18
SD BuckBuster 08-Oct-18
stealthycat 08-Oct-18
02-Oct-18

stealthycat's embedded Photo
stealthycat's embedded Photo
My brother works with the man who killed it - public land, not OTC .... its 398" and I thought it was worthy of posting because its such a great bull. Disagree with authenticity is expected, doubters etc :) just sayin, its real best I know - I do have his permission to post without face, name or location

02-Oct-18
Nice bull!

02-Oct-18
But, but, but, Colorado's OTC elk hunting is horrible. I've read it here a thousand times to know any different.

What a friggin' bull. Good for him but, I'm green here.

02-Oct-18
Nice bull! I don’t see 398” but that picture is terrible for seeing length.

02-Oct-18
Not OTC....I believe is what the man said. Key words! ;-)

02-Oct-18
It is a great bull. I'd like to see an official score though - doesn't appear to be 398.

02-Oct-18
That’s a great bull. Congrats to the hunter. But that’s not a 398 inch 6 point. Hunt

02-Oct-18
Huge.

02-Oct-18
wkochevar, I completely missed that. Let me get my foot out of my mouth now trying to be a wise cracker. :^)

02-Oct-18
tough to see more than 385 on that beast

02-Oct-18
Lol wv, you’re reading comprehension is about as good as mine!

Would love a couple more angles of that bull.

02-Oct-18
Lol. Great bull. But all the doubters on the score... sheesh. Its a darn photo. Pretty tough to judge that within 20". If it 'only' 378", can you really tell from that pic? Cracks me up. Long thirds make for high scores.

02-Oct-18
Nice Bull! I know of a 370” killed this season in a 0 point unit in Northern Colorado on opening day - the big ones can, and occasionally do, show up in areas not touted as big bull areas.

02-Oct-18
Wait, the hunter is 7'-6" tall...it's not 398 it's 498!!!!

LOL the OP posts that the animal and score are legit. From a single photo the armchair quarterbacks say it ain't so.

I have no idea if it is or isn't 398, but it's a dang, dang, nice bull. Congrats and looking forward to some more facts about it if and when they are posted.

Until then whether you do or don't see 398 is moot. Carry on

02-Oct-18
Faceless guy has tiny little feet, and huge hands!

I would expect some LONG beam/ tine lengths for 398 inches for the apparent mass, but hard to tell for sure from that pic!

02-Oct-18
Dream bull regardless of score

02-Oct-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
This ones only 2” smaller at 396”

02-Oct-18
Its a beauty

02-Oct-18
Awesome bull.

02-Oct-18
Great bull, I don’t give a rats a$$ about score. Congrats to the hunter.

02-Oct-18

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I took this one didn’t score it yet

02-Oct-18
2 great bulls!

02-Oct-18
Both bulls are soggy ol’ boys. Completely different build on each. I don’t question the scores on either without additional photos. Not a fan of the blanked out face though... Makes it look like a questionable situation from the get-go. -Just my opinion though.

02-Oct-18
Smarba you’re right it’s hard to tell from a picture. That said when you look at enough pics and score enough animals you can get close. I can usually get within 5” on a whitetail and maybe 15-20” on an elk. Barring beter pictures I don’t see that first bull going over 360”. I might be off 15-20”.....

02-Oct-18
Man, that’s amazing! A bull with a head as large as a man’s torso!

Those dog-catchers must go 2 feet!

02-Oct-18
Better check yo tape!

Great bull tho. Pic looks strange to me...the dudes right leg looks off. I dunno. Hope its legit. Stud bull regardless of score.

02-Oct-18
Thats a great 350" bull. Congratulations to the hunter!

02-Oct-18
I know Duke - I asked and he said black the face and post, don't tell the unit and I respected the request. I've asked for more photos

03-Oct-18
Nice bull....no 398" though. Shug`s 1st bull pic is more like it....not sure what the 2nd pic is....can`t be the same bull.

03-Oct-18
Wow what a nice bull. My first thought was 360ish but most of my bull experience is in the 200-300" range so I'll clam up. :^)

03-Oct-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Well, I guess the jig is up.

03-Oct-18
Don't spill the beans on yourself Nick!!! LOL!!!

03-Oct-18
Shug that’s a dang good bull in your picture. Your bull is lacking length in the brows and thirds and missing a lot of mass to get him in the 400” class but he’s a dandy. I’ll say 355” plus or minus 10”.

03-Oct-18
did I mention the guy is 7'10" and 450 pounds of solid muscle ?? :)

03-Oct-18
I killed a 350 once. I KNOW this bull is much bigger than 350. Im sure the Dinosaur units have some studs like this! Regardless, its a really nice bull. The biggest bulls in the world are typically on public land. Just hard to get a tag usually.

03-Oct-18
Dayum..........Has to be a CA bull.........LOL

04-Oct-18
Yep, looks like a big elk!

04-Oct-18
Looks like it could go 398" to me.

04-Oct-18
410 green score 7x7 that I heard of week after muzzy season. Very reliable source, but one never knows obviously.

04-Oct-18
HAHA.. Man I love how everyone jumps right on the score,, on a front facing pic for Christ sake.. The internet really does suck. I want to kick each one of you in the beanbag.

Congrats to the hunter!! Awesome kill!

04-Oct-18
Awesome bull!!! Congrats to the hunter.

04-Oct-18
SD Buckbuster, it's not about the score, it's about the misinformation. Claims are frequently made about animals being "such and such a size" on and off the internet. If it was claimed that the bull was a 7X7 or a bull moose, we'd correct that misinformation as well.

The difference in 10-15 inches at that size is very significant when it reaches that magic score of 400 because it's such a high bar that so few elk will ever make it to. And people throw around ridiculous claims of 400 inch bulls and 200 inch deer all the time that are just ridiculous.

IMO, if you're going to post up a green score that is not an official measurement, then you open yourself up to the scrutiny of your audience. Nonetheless, it's an impressive bull that just about anyone would shoot and the hunter should be proud and satisfied, no matter what he scores.

The only shameful thing on this thread is your talk of violence towards people on the internet from the safety of thousands of miles and never having to face the men you scold.

04-Oct-18
"The only shameful thing on this thread is your talk of violence towards people on the internet from the safety of thousands of miles and never having to face the men you scold. "

LOL.. The kick in the beanbag comment? C'mon bro you're better than that. I'm exagerating to prove my point here.

04-Oct-18
But I get it.. I'm sure it's tough to see guys post pictures of really nice bulls claiming they are 10-20 inches bigger than they are. Probly happens a lot. I hear ya.

04-Oct-18
SD

You clearly don’t understand the impact that the posting of inflated scores has on the lives of some guys. If you did you would not have done it I am sure. Innocent mistake.

04-Oct-18
Grant, you're such a hypocrite. If anyone on Bowsite calls people out more for perceived inaccuracies (and sarcastically at that), it's you.

04-Oct-18
So hard to tell from this angle but to me a bull pushing 4 hundo is gonna have 18” fronts or better and 16” or better 5ths. This bull doesn’t seem to have that but it’s great most everywhere else. JMO

04-Oct-18
The bull Shug posted looks bigger to me

04-Oct-18
I've learned two things on the Internet; 300 bulls are 320 and 370 Bulls are 350.

04-Oct-18
Congrats to the hunter. Scores ...enough for me any where.

04-Oct-18
Shug love the drawing can’t make it up lol. Lots better then my stick people!!!!!

04-Oct-18
I agree with Bou! Nothing worse than inflated scores or starting a hunting recap and not finishing it!

04-Oct-18
hey i get it - I see 180" bucks all the time posted that I am pretty dang sure won't break 150"

this is a big, big bull .... long everything, heavy ..... the difference in 398" and 368" from the photo I'm not so sure about that I can call it a BS score

maybe pro-elk guys can, I can't .... and sorry, I didn't get other photo's or a score card

none the less ....is what is it, and me? I love looking at exceptional animals/antlers and this one is

05-Oct-18
"You clearly don’t understand the impact that the posting of inflated scores has on the lives of some guys. If you did you would not have done it I am sure. Innocent mistake".

I've actually enrolled in therapy due to this thread, true story...............

06-Oct-18
I don't know and ain't saying one way or the other what the score is. It's certainly big and I could care less if it scored 2 points. But, something I do know is whitetail score. Two years ago, a guy posted a buck pic on WV bowsite and said it went 140". I gotta admit, I thought it was less then that but stayed quite about it. Well, I and a couple others were all that did. Most ridiculed him and, made fun of him blatantly. Well, that didn't suit him much so, he rough scored it while photo documenting it. It came to a touch over 140". Man, that shut them up really quick. I loved it!

I'm not suggesting who is right or wrong. Or saying anyone was out of line like they were on the example I provided. Only saying photo's are a funny thing sometimes. And, I agree with James

06-Oct-18
Awesome bull! Congrats! I would also agree not near 398”. Not that it matters. But a true 398” bull is a giant!

Get it officially scored and then come back.

06-Oct-18
I had a friend shoot a 370+"(official) on a hunt in a great unit. The other two guys in camp guessed it at 320"-330" like the ones they had been passing up :^)

06-Oct-18
Anyone that confuses a 370 for a 330 needs to get an eye exam. ;-)

06-Oct-18
Its a nice bull....i would shoot it if i had the chance ;)

06-Oct-18
I always get a kick out of the bowsite score arguments, especially the trail cam photo arguments. A year ago or so there was an argument going on on the Wisconsin site so I posted some pics of of bucks that I killed and had people guess then I revealed the true scores. One euro mount ten point had 4-5" G4's so based on the formula that some people use for estimating score of 10 pointers (G4x10+100), some guys were guessing in the 140's. Funny thing was that it was only a 2 year old that scores around 115" but the angle of the photo made it look bigger. I think I proved a point and opened some eyes with that thread.

06-Oct-18
X2 Mike! There's realistic scores & then there's Internet scores!

X2 Willieboat, I wouldn't pass him up either!

ElkNut/Paul

06-Oct-18
I've posted a few "guess the score" threads with bulls that have been officially scored, and the guesses have had up to a 50" range.

Willieboat, why don't you post up a pic of your 398" scored bull just for comparison? ;-)

06-Oct-18
Jaq....why bother :)

06-Oct-18
Ya bs on the first, 350-360,

18" first 5, mass 9,8,7,7. 55" main beams 60" spread is right around 400.

However the second bull is in a totally different class.

06-Oct-18
CM or INCHES???

Haaaa

06-Oct-18
.....and we wonder why folks no longer post photos as often as they used to.

07-Oct-18
Glunt- the other two guys in camp were exaggerating. They weren’t passing up multiple 370’s, unless they were “hunting” in a pen

07-Oct-18
Hunters never exaggerate :^)

07-Oct-18
I think Shugs pics are a perfect example of why people shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on one front facing pick. His two pictures hardly appear to be the same animal. Most people would score the pics at least 50-75" different.

07-Oct-18
Heck of a Co bull regardless of score.

08-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This is an otc, public land DIY . Musta poached cause there’s no tag. Score this one. Rampolo Bull.

08-Oct-18
Nice bull DL, but his thirds only look to be 4 or 5 feet so...

08-Oct-18
Beautiful bull, but that is an internet/bowsite score. Shugs is the real deal. Congrats to both...

08-Oct-18
Does anyone really care? Nice bull regardless!

08-Oct-18
Seeing a thread with the state and the score is basically like saying "Let's increase the number of license applicants by 200% next year." Awesome.

08-Oct-18
Yeah, because people plan their hunts based off one picture on the internet. That's like playing the lottery with last week's numbers.

08-Oct-18
Chasewild, yes, I bet every limited draw in the state will see double the number of applicants just because some guy put a pic on the internet of a good bull...I bet it was taken in Unit 76, or maybe 61? Everyone should apply for those ones!

08-Oct-18
"bet it was taken in Unit 76"

right there at the tower on Wolf Creek pass - you guessed it !! lol

08-Oct-18
I would love to see a profile of this bull.. Please post a profile so others can stop snipping.

08-Oct-18
I've tried to get another photo - so far no luck, maybe the guy just doesn't want to crap that goes with it all, I dunno.

• Sitka Gear