Trial153 19-Oct-18
kota-man 19-Oct-18
nehunter 19-Oct-18
Trial153 19-Oct-18
PAstringking 20-Oct-18
Lone Eagle 20-Oct-18
Keco 26-Mar-19
02-Oct-18
Heading for Newfoundland next year and wondering how the moose herd is doing. Would like to hear how everyone did this year. Post your pics and tell us how your hunt went.

02-Oct-18
excelt question.....i also have a moose hunt scheduled for 19 !

02-Oct-18
I hunted with Ironbound in 2017 and we saw a boatload of moose and caribou . Not sure how this year has been , however .

02-Oct-18
Th place has always been loaded with moose and they will still be there when you go next year

03-Oct-18

Fuzz's embedded Photo
Fuzz's embedded Photo
Just finished my 1st hunt there. I hunted near Deer Lake the week of Sept 16th. I saw a lot of moose during the week even though we had a few bad weather days. The guys that were in camp the week after us caught the rut and went 8 of 9. With the 9th guy missing a moose late in the week. There was quite a bit of pressure, including from the locals. There was also a lot of talk about how the new power line, bisecting the island from north to south, has really opened up previously unhunted ground. Along with that, the uncertainty of how it will affect future hunting. I heard there were huge roadless tracts that have now been opened up with the power line right of way. There's some friction between the fly-in outfitter contingent and the locals that now have access to a lot of new country.

03-Oct-18
On a side note, I saw close to 20 cows but only 2 of them had calves. I'm sure some were seen multiple times during the week but, the camp overall, saw few calves. No one really had an explanation other than it's probably from the coyotes.

03-Oct-18
I hunted an hour east of Deer Lake Sept 24-28. Saw 35 moose and about 75% were bulls. They were starting to be interested in calls but not committed yet.

Saw a few good bulls, 40+”, I the distance with cows but couldn’t get on them. We filled 5 of 6 bull tags plus 1 bear. I didn’t fill my tag. The largest bull was 39” wide and 12 pts. Weather was mainly good although mid week warmed to upper 60s. Thur has torrential down pours and high winds in the AM then nice in the PM. Mainly saw singles and doubles. Big bulls had several cows.

03-Oct-18
sounds like you had a decent hunt Rob, who did you go with?

03-Oct-18
Moose populations are very strong in NF

03-Oct-18
We went with Buck Lake Adventures. Roger Sheppard is the owner.

One guy carried a bow for a few days but all kills were Rifle.

03-Oct-18
Got you. I am, heading back up again year, graded a woody tag as well. Looking forward to it.

04-Oct-18
Hunted near South Branch week of September 24. We went 6 for 6, all taken with rifles. 5 Bulls and 1 cow. Largest bulls were a 20 point and 17 point, both about 45” wide. Got my bull the 1st day at 9AM, it was the 7th moose I saw.

04-Oct-18
Hunted near South Branch week of September 24. We went 6 for 6, all taken with rifles. 5 Bulls and 1 cow. Largest bulls were a 20 point and 17 point, both about 45” wide. Got my bull the 1st day at 9AM, it was the 7th moose I saw.

04-Oct-18
Sounds like moose population still strong. Wow, 20 Points and 45 inches sounds like a really good bull for NF. Post a pic if you have one.

04-Oct-18
I'm there right now with 3 friends...............OH, WAIT..........NO, I'M NOT. I had a detached retina two weeks ago and had to cancel my trip. Hope the other 3 are doing well. Three years of prep and anticipation shot to hell.

04-Oct-18
1st picture is the 17 point, Second is the 20 Point

04-Oct-18

PABuckChaser's embedded Photo
17 Point
17 Point

04-Oct-18

20 Point
20 Point

04-Oct-18
that's a long was from Washington ,but I gotta go so I can get all 4 subspecies 'of moose ,ive got 2 already the Yukon and the Canadian great bulls everyone

04-Oct-18
If you have the Canadian already Newfoundland is not necessary. What is the fourth species you are seeking to find

04-Oct-18
Awesome Bulls, congratulations!

06-Oct-18
nice bulls im so looking forward to next year!

09-Oct-18

PAstringking's embedded Photo
Just got back.... had a good week

09-Oct-18
Bou... SCI splits western and eastern Canadian moose. So an Alberta Canadian moose is different than a Newfoundland Canadian moose.

09-Oct-18
Thanks did not know that. Never considered sci

13-Oct-18

Bill S's embedded Photo
Bill S's embedded Photo
Bill S's embedded Photo
Bill S's embedded Photo
Bill S's embedded Photo
Bill S's embedded Photo

13-Oct-18
6 of us hunted a flyout lodge and 6 of us took bulls w/ rifle. Ranging from 6 points to 17 points. 3 of the bulls were over 40". 44 in, 43 in, 42 in. Mine was 44 shot on the last day. I saw 6 moose 15 caribou, and 2 bears in 5 days.

13-Oct-18
Newfoundland is a great place to bow hunt too!

13-Oct-18

tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
tunes's embedded Photo
Yes, It is a Great place to bow hunt--

13-Oct-18
I saved for years to go to Newfoundland back in 2004 with a few friends to bowhunt. One friend had a shot and missed, while the other got relatively close but didn't get a shot. I only saw one moose the entire week and that was the first night from the top of a tall rock outcropping. On the ferry ride back, we talked to other hunters who had much better hunts. I would like to do it again, but would like some recommendations on outfitters/guides that get you into moose......not just walk you around bogs.

13-Oct-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Woody!
Woody!
Son Matt!
Son Matt!
Agreed Tunes! 8 times there and got animal(s) each hunt!

15-Oct-18
I just got back last week. 0 for 4 on a remote Camp. Only one hunter saw a Bull with antlers. I was so disappointed, walking for miles each day. No sign except when it was time to turn around and head back to Camp. I was on the most Western/Northern part of Newf.

15-Oct-18
The northern peninsula, according to fish and game, is basically devastated. No caribou and very few moose. Buyers beware

15-Oct-18
How much for a decent guided hunt?

15-Oct-18
I think a hunt with Ironbound is about 6200$ right now . I think .

15-Oct-18
Will be back at MVO next year, cant wait.

15-Oct-18
Good hunts are going to be between 5500-8000 depending on where and what is included.

15-Oct-18
Thanks for the info

15-Oct-18
Caribou season closes in area northern Pensinsula after this fall.....May never open again. Still lots of great areas on the island that offer Trophy Woodland Caribou hunts.

15-Oct-18
Ironbound has been killing some great bulls this fall.....remote areas with several camps to chose from. TH

18-Oct-18
Mr Bound Shiras is one and Im hoping to draw that at home. The newfoundland/Labrador is the other im thinking! maybe its considered the eastern I looked it up ive found 9 Alaskan, siberian ,west Siberian, east Siberian, Shiras,european,eastern,northwestern now im really confused lol I thought there was only 4.........Yukon,shiras ,eastern and western....someone will set it strait MikeC

19-Oct-18

Lone Eagle's embedded Photo
Lone Eagle's embedded Photo
I got this one a few years back with Tuckamore Lodge.

19-Oct-18
Don't know what happen , sorry about the picture.

19-Oct-18

Mr. C and Bou... here is what SCI has listed

19-Oct-18
Mr. C: There are 3 species only in NA. SCI has more categories so guys will spend more money.

19-Oct-18
And to prove Charlie's point...SCI has 38 animals listed for the North American 29. You just pick the 29 you want to shoot...SCI has an award and category for everyone! Their "record keeping/awards program" make my head spin. They are however a great conservation group.

19-Oct-18
Checklists can be so confusing

19-Oct-18
I would just go with GSCO list of NA 29

19-Oct-18
At least the GSCO list pretty much mirrors P&Y and B&C with the exception of some boundaries.

19-Oct-18
Lone Eagle. You hunt from Main Brook or the remote camp?

19-Oct-18
Agree Cory, the continuity makes sense to me.

20-Oct-18
Yep that’s totally it Charlie.... so accurate.

And Kota... that is not correct. You can’t just pick 29. There are required animals.

20-Oct-18
nehunter, Main Brook... Junior was my guide.

26-Mar-19
I was on bowhuntig season, from 24th august to 3rd sept. We were 3 hunters, and went with Victoria Outfitters. After 6 days, we didn´t see any bull. Some cows and some caribous. I will try on 2020, but we will change the outfitter.

• Sitka Gear