buckhammer 04-Oct-18
treestandman 06-Oct-18
Russ Koon 06-Oct-18
WapitiBob 06-Oct-18
TD 06-Oct-18
Missouribreaks 06-Oct-18
ELKMAN 08-Oct-18
03-Oct-18
Just curious... how far back can you be off the front shoulder and still get lung

03-Oct-18
Very far - as long as the deer is quartering hard away.

03-Oct-18
It also depends on the state of inspiration vs expiration. Inflated lungs extend more caudal.

03-Oct-18
I have killed a lot in the rear third of the rib cage in years past.

03-Oct-18
Also depends on how big the deer is

03-Oct-18
Also depends on how big the deer is

03-Oct-18
And if your using Rage. Had to.

03-Oct-18
If its within the diaphragm, its vital in my opinion... Liver and high lung just take longer to die..

03-Oct-18
Is you hit 8 inches off the shoulder with a broadside shot would you hit lungs, liver, or stomach most likely

03-Oct-18
The buck I killed in 2010 was almost half way back but a little high. I literally hit both lungs in the very furthest spot you could hit them I think. It was a directly broadside shot and it hit through the very back top lobe of both lungs. Zbone is right though, I think it took about 15 minutes for the deer to die.

03-Oct-18
8 inches behind the shoulder on a broadside deer is gut shot. Every single time.

03-Oct-18
The guy on the video DOES overinflate the lungs, IMO. You can tell that he’s not clear on the concept when he says that the diaphragm is “concave/convex”. Nope. At max contraction, the diaphragm cannot go past Flat. It’s not like your tongue where there are muscles to pull it out/forward.

JMO, using the classic 8” pie plate standard, the x-ring is only an inch or two off the shoulder. That puts your limit at about 6” from the crease.

04-Oct-18
Sounds like a covert way to say....."can`t find a deer...now what" thread.

04-Oct-18
No... I haven't shot at any deer yet so I'm just trying to make sure I do it right and know what to do when I get the chance

04-Oct-18
the best policy is to try to hold it tight to the front leg if broadside, and avoid quartering-to shots, for slight quartering away picture where the off side "elbow" is and aim for that

04-Oct-18
Fuzzy x 2. Aim a 1/3 of the way up, tight behind the shoulder crease on broadside deer. On quartering away, try to place the arrow where it intersects the middle of the off side shoulder.

04-Oct-18
If you're gonna aim towards the back, you might as well blast the "Ham"

04-Oct-18
my plan is to hit right behind the shoulder but im just wondering that if i do hit back then i want to know if i have a chance of hitting lung or not

04-Oct-18

12yards's embedded Photo
12yards's embedded Photo
This is the buck I shot in 2010. I shot it in the morning and sat on stand for 4 hours before getting down hoping beyond hope that I got liver and not guts. This is the entrance side, the exit was similar location on the other side so almost broadside. I got the very, very back end of the top of the lungs on both lobes. He traveled quite a ways but doubled back and died only 100 yards from my stand. I thought I heard him fall about 15 minutes after the shot.

04-Oct-18
Bass master, don’t aim Behind the shoulder. Go straight up the middle of the front leg on a broadside shot.

04-Oct-18
Missouribreaks- the lungs go back just as far whether there are expanded or not.

04-Oct-18
I guess we need to define what part of the shoulder. They go back pretty far on the upper part of the chest cavity. I would have said at least 8" or more from the "shoulder" (not inferring the very back of the scapula) on decent-sized deer. This is not really a zone you want to be in though, although it can kill. Give deer shot this far back some time, maybe a little less time if the shot is high vs. low. In my opinion that high and back shot is either going to kill them within a couple hours or it simply won't. The low and back shot is almost certainly a killer, but it can take more time. Always the exception here and there of course.

I agree that going straight up from the front leg is ideal arrow placement generally, but it doesn't give much room for forward error for the beginning hunter.

04-Oct-18
Are you asking the OP? It's a good video; kinda long and drawn out though. I didn't have sound when I looked at it briefly, so I don't know if he explained the size of the deer or some other details.

04-Oct-18
“the lungs go back just as far whether there are expanded or not.”

Strictly speaking, that’s correct with regard to them being in contact with the diaphragm and the fact that it never changed where it attaches to the ribs.

But why do guys suck in their guy when a cute girl walks by? If you take a deep breath, you can make yourself look a whole lot heavier by displacing some of your internals with air.

So while a hit that strikes the ribs just forward of where the diaphragm attaches WILL still clip lung (at least on the one side), it could end up poking a hole through the margin of one lobe, rather than opening a serious gash across maybe two.

JMO, if one foreleg is ahead of the other, line up (vertically) on the rear-most of the two. That should put you off of the meat of the shoulder. Broadside or quarter-away, that’s where you want to be...

04-Oct-18
The diaphragm attaches to the rib area, however it is shaped like a dome and moves to "expand" the chest cavity.... and allow lung expansion. The lungs change in size when inflated with air, much like a balloon.

04-Oct-18
It depends.....if you are an average joe hunter shooting a fixed blade broadhead then your arrow needs to impact right tight behind the shoulder. Now on the other hand if you are a famous in your own mind bowhunter with a nationally syndicated weekly show, why then that arrow with a rage broadhead can impact as far back as the hindquarters and you can call it a double lunger I smoked him shot and find him dead within 100 yards. It must be true cause I see it almost every week and they have the film to prove it.

06-Oct-18

treestandman's embedded Photo
treestandman's embedded Photo
This was a full liver shot. Not what I though on impact. He was perfectly broadside. It was a good reminder for me!

06-Oct-18
I watched the whole video, and thought it was very informative.

I had already learned most of the things explained, through experience or previous explanations, but still found the video to have value in presenting the info on an actual deer carcass and using the inflation of the actual lungs to better illustrate the differences between the lungs as we see them while field dressing and as they are in the live animal.

I did change my ideal aiming point slightly as a result of the video, but it was shift of only a couple inches up and back from where it has been for years on a broadside shot, to make the aiming spot a better compromise between the spot I really would like to hit and the one that would give me a little more wiggle room for an imperfect shot.

That seems to be the intent of the video and I'd say it had the desired effect.

Good post, JTV.

06-Oct-18
I'll continue to shoot for the <.

06-Oct-18
Wapiti x2. Watch em go down.

If you hit back..... been my experience high and back normally turns out better than low and back. Lobes extend back more up high. More high pressure plumbing up there too, other goodies.....

06-Oct-18
TD is dead on!

08-Oct-18
http://www.seafwa.org/26Pedersen_et_al_163-166.pdf

Had to...

• Sitka Gear