WapitiBob 09-Oct-18
ghost stalker 09-Oct-18
TreeWalker 09-Oct-18
04-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
he four hunters, photographed by trail cameras, were seen packing the animal near Ferguson Road, south of Monroe on September 1, officials said in a news release. Authorities asked anyone who recognizes the men to contact Oregon State Police Trooper Zac Cochran through the Turn in Poachers (TIP) hotline at 1-800-452-7888 or 503-509-2465 or by emailing [email protected].

04-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Investigators with the Oregon State Police are asking for the public's help in identifying four hunters suspected of poaching a bull elk and trespassing on private property south of Corvallis last month.

04-Oct-18
TTT!

04-Oct-18
With the explosion in trail camera use, trespassers must be really ignorant.

04-Oct-18
May they wake with 1000 fleas each morning and lose hunting privileges for life. Poachers rarely are caught and even is less rare for them to be punished to the point it financially impacts them significantly. Those poachers are not wearing hand me down items and probably drove off in a $50K truck.

04-Oct-18
How does Oregon handle it if an animal is shot on public and then goes to private? are you legally able to retrieve the animal? is it possible this happened? no? Just askin what the laws are.

04-Oct-18
In what way were they poaching? Was it out of season? No tag? Maybe they were taking a shortcut through private property on their pack out, so maybe it's just a trespassing issue. Looks like someone took their photos on a phone, not a trail camera, and they aren't exactly clear photos. Even if they were clear photos, all they would have to do is say "that guy looks like me, but it's not me"

04-Oct-18
The OP was simply posting for help in identification, not looking for a Jury.

04-Oct-18
SD BuckBuster, in Oregon you are suppose to contact the landowner and then the game warden to gain permission to retrieve the animal. From my understanding this is a Weyerhaeuser lease they trespassed through. Their is not a whole lot of details as to if they shot the bull or bulls ( rumor is they shot a nice branch bull and then a spike ) on that piece of property and their is landlocked public ground nearby. I wouldn't go as far as calling them poachers yet as we don't know all of the facts, but they were definitely trespassing through the property.

04-Oct-18
There's lots of elk ground in OR that's no where near public. I have no idea what the story is with these guys, but there certainly is a difference between poaching and trespassing. You can do one, the other, or both.

04-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
If you shoot an animal on private property without permission to hunt there you are poaching. The ranch I hunt has had a terrible problem with poachers over the years. This was an archery kill that was left I assume because it died very close to a ranch house. Couldn’t have gone far from where it was shot. Double lung shot right near the front shoulder.

04-Oct-18
In Oregon there is no right of retrieval. Even if the State Police show up to assist you they must get permission to get the animal from the land owner. If the land owner says no there is nothing you can do.

04-Oct-18
Remember innocent until proven guilty

04-Oct-18
Cops found them almost instantly. Rumor I saw was they were just cutting across Weyerhaeuser but that seems fishy.

04-Oct-18

Ucsdryder's Link
I didn’t see anything else on this situation, but I got a laugh out of this...

04-Oct-18
WapitiBob, So the three guys whose photographs were posted earlier, have been identified? If authorities decided to press this issue, It would be pretty easy to backtrack to determine the actual kill sites......I hope that there are more follow-ups to this thread.

04-Oct-18
Rumors of poachers are everywhere. While on my last hunt an old guy i met while I was doing my laundry, who was boasting that he knew of 20 something guys out hunting the unit for elk who didn't have a tag. He said, 'they won't let the lack of tag stop them from hunting'. He seemed to be a cross between legit and full of hot air. So I didn't give it much truck, yet on the other hand I didn't see a single ODFW guy in the unit during my hunt. Though, I was probably out in the woods when the ODFW guys are cruising the roads etc...

Anyway, a lot of people say a lot of things most of it is fake news.

04-Oct-18
Med, yes

06-Oct-18
Looks like the guy in the black sweatshirt needs to load his pack a little higher to keep from leaning over so much!

06-Oct-18
Not sure what these guys did...but an animal shot on trespassed land is a "poached animal". This is clearly defined with a google search for a " definition of a poached animal. " Not saying these guys are guilty, just responding to the definition of a poached animal.

06-Oct-18
I only see three guys...

06-Oct-18
Trespassing and poaching are two different things in my opinion, at least how I define them.

Not sure of the actual facts here (doesn’t seem like anyone is) but people sure do like to make a lot of assumptions

08-Oct-18
Yeah I wouldn’t call this poaching it’s trespassing. A different but similar offense.

08-Oct-18
I think instead of cash rewards, they might get more tips on poachers if they handed out preference points....

And JMO, if you kill an animal somewhere that you’re not permitted to be, YOU are trespassing AND the animal was Poached, so both charges apply.

08-Oct-18
Are there any actual facts known about these guys? Any facts about where they hunted and when?

08-Oct-18
Agree with Bullhound - are there any facts yet?

08-Oct-18
Time will tell

08-Oct-18
Osp has identified the 4.

"Investigators had said Wednesday that the people in the photos could face charges of hunting on the enclosed/cultivated lands of another or hunting in violation of criminal trespass, according to state police."

"The investigation is ongoing"

08-Oct-18
You couldn’t hire enough COs up in Minnesota during deer season to even start making a dent in poaching due to tresspassing...

Hell! There is no such thing as tresspassing up here. Sad.

08-Oct-18
Surprised Oregon is making an effort to catch a poacher...it happens all the time there.

Certainly the most rifle shots I've ever heard during bow Season, were in Oregon.

I was stalking a muley buck in Oregon one Day, when a truck suddenly appeared from over the rim, driving right out through the middle of the Scab-rock Flat I was on. Dude in the back had a 22 long rifle, and obviously didn't see me...buck and his doe took off, and he started lighting off with the semi-auto 22 at him.

When I stood up out of my crawl, the driver saw me...they took off like a bat out of Hell.

Little enforcement of Game Laws up there, IMHO.

09-Oct-18
I've seen more wardens on a single wyoming hunt than I've seen in my entire life in oregon. Simply aren't enough of them and this point program might help a little.

09-Oct-18
GF in Oregon you can now get either preference points or the cash reward. The cash reward for a elk is $500 or you can get 4 preference points.

09-Oct-18
I like to provide incentive. Report someone in roadless area on ATV then you get the ATV and any items with that person and on the ATV. I could use some nice glass and a newer bow. Report poacher and get any points they have in that state for all species and any items with that person and vehicle if one is used. Poachers are criminals and just as shoplifters rarely shoplift a mere one time then so it is with poachers.

Willful violation of a hunting-related statute is not something can get into nuances. I support nuances if a statute was not violated willfully such as you wore your pack covering up a portion of your orange vest so fell below the required square inches during the pack out. You singed your tag in black ink rather than blue, etc. No animals were stolen from other hunters in the case of the orange vest issue or the ink color issue.

• Sitka Gear