Bake 05-Oct-18
Bake 05-Oct-18
oregonbowhunter 05-Oct-18
Cheesehead Mike 05-Oct-18
Whocares 06-Oct-18
05-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I need some ideas for new boots. I have two pairs of the UA Ridgereaper I believe, but they don't make them anymore, and I ruined one pair recently on a sheep hunt. Need another backup pair. I will wear them for everything. Everyday wear. Deer and turkey at home. Elk hunts, etc.

I CANNOT wear Lowa Renegades. I've tried them on. They don't work for my feet.

I don't need insulation. Prefer non-insulated.

Waterproof is optional.

MUST be light. Must be low or mids. Can't stand a tall boot anymore. 6" or smaller.

Can be a hiking type boot. I've looked at Merrels and things like that, but have never pulled the trigger. But something like that would be fine. I've been known to wear tennis shoes on elk hunts, so my feet can handle it.

Does anyone have any ideas for brands to look at?

Thanks

05-Oct-18
Salomon 4d

05-Oct-18
Crispi Thor might fit the bill Bake...Lately I've become a huge fan of Crispi boots. I have Thor's, Summit's, Nevada's and Guides. What is your foot shape?

05-Oct-18
I don't know that I have a special foot shape. Maybe a little wider than normal in the toe box.

One reason I love the UA boots is they're not stiff at all, and they fit like a glove. No slipping. I'm really ticked off I can't find a pair of what I've been wearing.

05-Oct-18
Why would you wear a $350 pair of boots for everyday use. A quality pair of hunting boots like some are recommending aren`t for everyday use. No boot will hold up to that abuse very long....plus they must be maintained just like any other piece of equipment.

05-Oct-18
Why not wear the ones you showed til they wear out!

05-Oct-18
I wear my expensive boots (currently Lowa Camino's) everyday because they are comfortable, give me the support I like and can take any abuse I give them. Yes, they have to be maintained but even a boot worn only for hunting must be maintained. Leather can dry out sitting in a closet too. Better chance of me taking care of them if I'm looking at them every day....JMO.

BTW, sorry, didn't offer any real advice to the question. The Camino's are my first pair of shorter boots and first Lowa's. I have a plate and screws in one ankle and typically don't like the feel of a short boot. The Camino's felt great initially and then I started to have some buyer's remorse as they were irritating me where I have screw in my ankle. I was about to give up on being able to wear them and suddenly the irritation was gone. I wore them on my Arizona deer hunt and everyday since. Love the fit....but it took close to a month.

05-Oct-18
I don't necessarily need a $350 pair of boots. Those UA cost about $140 and the broken pair gave me 3 years, and the unbroken pair are on year 4 (and probably their last year). I'm perfectly happy with that. 3 or 4 years on a boot that I wear a LOT is perfectly fine with me, as long as they didn't cost $500 :)

I want something that will work for all my uses, which is easy, because I'm perfectly happy in a very light boot in pretty extreme terrain. My sheep hunt this year was what I would call extreme terrain, and the light boots worked fine, and I had no foot problems, other than the boots started to come apart the last 2 days

I like the look of those Crispi Monaco's. May have to try them. . . .

05-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Whocares, maybe hard to see in that pic, but the stitching is shot on the side of the boot

05-Oct-18
Another vote for salomon 4d

05-Oct-18
I tried the Solomon's but they didn't fit my feet whereas the Lowa Renegade does so maybe the Solomon's will work for you...

06-Oct-18
Was kidding Blane. I tend to wear mine all year and wear them out. needed new ones this year so I bought Salomon 4D for the first time, Lowa Renegades, Vasque GTX. and Kenetrek Bridger High. Liked the old Kenetreks, but this years version went down in quality so returned those. Kept the other three. Yah, overkill but use them a lot. Wore them all summer breaking them in. Like all three I kept. Have worn many pairs of Vasque and they are great. Lowas are very comfortable. Like the Salomons a lot but during the September hunt the left boot developed an audible squeak to the point I could't wear it elk hunting. If it would sound like a cow chirp might have been good but wasn"t! Not sure what I'll do with that. Maybe contact the company. At any rate, can recommend all three of those as comfortable, light, and reasonably priced. All uninsulated, with Gortex, and good Summer/ Fall boots.

06-Oct-18
I wear orthotics, so boots mentioned here will accommodate. 5+ pairs of danners treated me well, but I switched it up after a bad pair. Merrell held up good but my feet were sweaty and they seemed bulky for a smaller boot. I have kenetreks that I wear on demanding terrain or serious hunts or heavy pack days. Kenetreks provide incredible support, durability, dry feet, no sweat, etc for a cool$475. But my new pair that I've been working in and hunting in are SALOMON 4D... ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. got them on sale $140. If they hold up, I'll be buying more for sure. Light weight, dry feet, breathe great, incredibly comfortable, minimal break in. Just my 2cents.

• Sitka Gear