GregE 12-Oct-18
t-roy 13-Oct-18
Jaquomo 13-Oct-18
Jaquomo 13-Oct-18
NorCalVineyards 13-Oct-18
NorCalVineyards 13-Oct-18
Adventurewriter 13-Oct-18
05-Oct-18
Starts tomorrow and I’m not sure who’s more excited, me or my 13 year old. Let the games begin.

05-Oct-18
I feel your excitement Tony. My nephews (hes 12) rifle hunt starts next Saturday in an area where I have been pretty successful archery hunting. Hopefully he can get one of the big boys that gave me the slip this year. Good luck to your boy!e

05-Oct-18
GL to both of you! Good times.

05-Oct-18
GL to the youngsters! Please come back and post their trophy pics!

06-Oct-18
Have fun be safe and enjoy!!

Good luck, Robb

06-Oct-18
Go get em! Hope the boys have a great hunt!

06-Oct-18
Good Luck! Looking forward to reading the story.

06-Oct-18
Where you guys at?

06-Oct-18
Good luck!!

06-Oct-18
Tony, I hear ya sir, I remember taking my Sons out at that age & I know the feeling with your enthusiasm over flowing for the hunt, I hope you never lose it! I'm pulling for You & your Son!

ElkNut/Paul

06-Oct-18
Good luck!

07-Oct-18
Thanks fellers!!!!we got into an elk sandwich first light yesterday morning, really fun experience and my sons first bugle in the wild, almost got it done but we set up looking the direction of two bugles and another bull came in from behind, just before it was light enough to see good out of the scope (a nice frame though)...And with public land, the hunting pressure in that area was high, and we assumed the elk would be pushed out, so we worked a different area last night but just seen some cows... this morning the wind was howling and we heard a bugle at first light, but, we couldn’t pin point the location as there was three drainages funneling down to where we were. We guessed wrong and never heard the bull or any other bulls this morning ( but the high winds were the likely culprit.)

It’s raining hard now and this afternoon it’s looking to be a soaker with some booms and bolts. Tomorrow the temps drop significantly and maybe some of these boys will paying attention in English class (ha just kidding - kind of)... no shot opps yet but soon. My sons putting some miles on the boots and we thankful to be out here in the Gila.

07-Oct-18

NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo
Elk hunter

07-Oct-18
So far so good, only a matter of time! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

07-Oct-18
Keep after it!! Good luck.

09-Oct-18

09-Oct-18
Holy smokes! Congrats!

09-Oct-18

09-Oct-18

09-Oct-18
Congrats. Heck of a bull for anyone, especially a youngster.

09-Oct-18
Sweet! Congratulations Tony! I think that monicker up above may stick (or elk killer) :-)

09-Oct-18
Awesome bull Son! Story?

ElkNut/Paul

09-Oct-18
Congrats!!!

09-Oct-18
Great job!

09-Oct-18
Way to go!

09-Oct-18
Grats!

09-Oct-18

Just heading back tbrough Flag, check out this view!.... thanks for the positive vibes guys. My son and I appreciate it.... there’s a good story to go with and I’ll throw it up here when I get to the hotel tonight.

09-Oct-18
Pretty sure both of you have silly grins that will stay stuck on your faces all the way home!

Looking forward to hearing the story!

09-Oct-18
Congratulations great bull

09-Oct-18
Tavis you know it :-)

09-Oct-18
That’s so great. Congrats to the both of you. Way to go Dad!! Hunt

10-Oct-18
Thanks Hunt! Crazy how much pressure can mount for dads on the youth hunts. It happened so fast, as they often times do and will be an experience both of us will not forget for a long time.

11-Oct-18
Thats fantastic Tony!! Congrats to your boy! AND you!! He's gonna someday deliver a great eulogy!!!! HA!

11-Oct-18
Very nice! Congrats to you and your son

12-Oct-18
Standing by for the Rest of the story.......

G

13-Oct-18
Wowzer!! Congrats to the both of you!

13-Oct-18
Wow! What a memory for the rest of your lives!

13-Oct-18
Wow! What a memory for the rest of your lives!

13-Oct-18
My boy and I been shooting his rifle this last September in anticipation for the great tag he had in his pocket. I've only killed one rifle big game animal in the last 15 years, archery has been my focus. We focused on a 100 yard zero and the hash marks on his scope were pretty accurate with his 143 grain ELDX Hornady out to 300 yards.

Fast forward to opening morning - we get off the quad and immediately hear a hunter bugle to our right ( really?!?) - So we move into the wind to our left in the dark - chilly this morning, has to be in the mid 30's. After a few hundred yards in the dark, we stop, we can see it start getting light, we let out a bugle and three bulls erupt around us :-). Two in one direction one in the other - we set up in the direction of the two bulls and the other bulls sneaks in behind us - I can hear him walking and so can my boy. Unfortunately we are posted up on a log over my pack looking the wrong direction. With the bull so close, I decide not to swing around and the bull comes to 35 yards behind us, rips a bugle, stands there for about another min, and turns back the way he came. I never saw his head gear just his body ( it was still a little dark and he was in the oak brush)... My boys first experience with a bugle/elk.

We chase a few more bugles that morning but about 8:30am they shut up and we run into a few other hunters. We decide to go to a different area in the evening to get away from the pressure but we don't find any elk.

Second day we went to a new area and heard a bugle right away (still dark in the am). We try and locate that bull but never do and the morning is pretty much a bust. We did find a nice elk shed that is now resting on our bar. For the evening hunt we snuck up on a spike but never heard a bull. Later that night, back at the hotel, we ran into a kid and his dad who shot a really nice 7x6 ( main beam on the right was broke after the sword) - still a massively heavy trophy. They told us where we shot the bull and we headed up there the am of the 3rd morning....

It was super cold on the morning of the 8th, foggy and quiet. It had rained the night before the storm was out of Alaska. We didn't hear one bugle in the morning but by 11:00am we cut a bull track across our tires tracks from earlier that morning... We get out and follow the tracks and soon enough, spot a bull bedded across the drainage. My boy got to 220 yards of this bull ( a nice 330-340" 7x6), finger on the trigger, crosshairs on the bull, but we needed one more second to make it happen and he followed his cow out of the shooting lane. My son wanted to shoot as he turned and followed his cow but I held him off ( thinking we would catch back up to him - which did not happen)...

Later that day, we moved to a new area and we glassed up that bull my son shot. The bull bedded and was facing us at about 120 yards. My son got on the sticks and broke his neck, and his shoulder. He blew up out of his bedded and made it about 20 yards. The rest is all smiles and one punched tag.

Special thanks to - Splitlimb13 - for all his help on this hunt.

13-Oct-18

Little rest dad and I’ll be ready to roll again.

13-Oct-18
Awesome!!!

• Sitka Gear