Contributors to this thread:
Paul@thefort 05-Oct-18
Ucsdryder 05-Oct-18
Paul@thefort 05-Oct-18
Scrappy 05-Oct-18
05-Oct-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Aaaaaa Yes, a distant memory----- elk camp and elk season. Just 11 month to go for another one. A pleasant memory for sure. my best, Paul

05-Oct-18
Paul did you get out this year? After the antelope story I was hoping for an elk story!

05-Oct-18

Snooze you loose cow elk
Snooze you loose cow elk
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the elk story. Short and sweet. Close encounter with a cow elk the first day resulting in no harvest. Three days later at noon just after I set up the bivy tent in the picture, I walked down an old forest road 200 yards and ran into a 4x4 bull, 2 cows and two calfs 70 yards away. We all saw each other at the same time and they were off, never to be seen again. I decided to hike down 500 yards to a natural blind I had made earlier and the edge of a long meadow 100 yards across. Being now 1:30 pm is would be too early for elk movement so I decided to take a cat nap. Bad decision! I awoke 20 minutes later to the sound of thundering hoofs and see an cow elk heading across the meadow in the opposite direction. Either she came from behind me or from across the meadow, but anyway, she knew I was there and now out of bow range.. I hunted this area for two more days and never saw or heard an elk. I came home on Sept 8 as Tricia was heading out of state and needed to house and dog sit. This is when I hunted pronghorn and was successful with the butter-ball buck. I returned to the elk woods but in a different management unit just over the mountain but found lots of hunters, few elk, dry, hot. ( I did see one bull and two cow in the next five days. I called on two sets of bow hunters on Friday, and came home on Saturday because I had no expectation of seeing or killing an elk during those last two days.

I do have two Nebraska doe tags and one Nebraska buck tag in my pocket and will head east next week to fill all three of them.

Story-- short and sweet, you bet. Maybe I will have a longer one on my return from Nebraska. Thanks for asking. my best, Paul

05-Oct-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Yup I cant wait til next Sept. My season got cut short due to a punched tag.

• Sitka Gear