Lever Action 06-Oct-18
Buck Watcher 06-Oct-18
Lever Action 06-Oct-18
Kodiak 06-Oct-18
Tonybear61 06-Oct-18
Lever Action 06-Oct-18
Bowriter 06-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
Pro's/Cons? Cameras and 6 months worth of weekends showed poor planning on my end when I actually started sitting my stands. Half were good and half are worthless. Nothing beats time in the stand I guess.

Anyway... I have to move/add hang on stands to correct the problem. What is the wait time I should apply before setting them? Any other input appreciated.

06-Oct-18
Ughh!... How long should I wait till SITTING them?

06-Oct-18
IMO. I would hang and hunt right away! If the deer sign is fresh, there is no time like the present. Also, first sit best sit in most cases. Good luck!

06-Oct-18
I've killed lots of deer out of a stand I hung that day.

06-Oct-18
How do you know they won’t be good during chase phase?

06-Oct-18
Eagle_eye_Andy …. You are correct. There are a few that will stay (even though they are dead right now) for just that reason. But some are just not practical for that scenario and are not working now, so they have to go.

06-Oct-18
What do you mean by permanent stand? Tree stand??

Labor Day I set up a 5'x5' box blind in 3' legs for my 93 year old Dad to gun hunt out of. (He finally agreed to let me put heat in his stand - so I "had" to build an insulated one.) I already had a camera there. Every day after I set it I had buck pics. NO 4-5 year olds but 2 & 3 year old walking 20 yards from it.

06-Oct-18
Yes, tree stand. I am not to concerned with the day of but the days after leaving a permanent in the area is what I am talking about. I am sensing I have not too much to worry about :D

06-Oct-18
Overthinking(overworrying)whitetail hunting takes the joy out of it, for me.

Just do what you have to do and let the chips fall.

06-Oct-18
Why limit yourself to permanent stands when bowhunting?? Doesn't take much for deer to easily move out of range once they discover it and your presence. If you do it quietly sometimes the first sit is the best.

If wind is constantly changing (like this year in MN) you need to have stands all over the place or just be mobile.

As I have stated many times before in forums I utilize Buckingham tree climbers, I can set up quietly and quickly. A full body harness and redundant lineman's ropes I can get into any tree I can reach around, limbs or no limbs. Have shot deer while climbing and placing the stand. Also supplement with natural ground blinds I prep in the off season, may go years without using those blinds if the conditions aren't right.

Permanents have their place for those who can't be mobile but can't count the times I have shot deer just a short distance from a permanent blind, box stand etc. that is up for firearms season.

06-Oct-18
I hear you on mobile stands but this is N.E. Ohio where winds don't stay steady for more than 15 minutes at a time. One year there was 1 day when it was continuously west for nearly an hour. I will remember that day forever, I will bet. No sense in having a climber here as you may have to move within a half an hour as the wind switches. Best to have 4 stands on any one area and close to one another, so you can just climb down one and back up the other, on the other side of the entrance.

Super fun! LOL!

06-Oct-18
How soon or late to hunt a stand- Rule of twos-Two minutes after you hang it or two weeks/months. Hunt it immediately, how can the deer know it is there unless they saw you hang it? Give it plenty of time, they either forget about it or get accustomed to it. My few rut stands are always hung by mid-summer and never even seen again until I hunt them in Nov. My doe stands-some stay hung all year, some get hunted same day I hang them. But I have no cameras to worry about. That prevents me from hunting a great stand, just because I haven't got anything on camera. Most of my rut stands probably, see no action until the pre-rut. They are hung just for traveling bucks.

• Sitka Gear