buzz mc 15-Oct-18
Southern draw 16-Oct-18
gobble50 16-Oct-18
standswittaknife 16-Oct-18
pav 19-Oct-18
standswittaknife 30-Oct-18
APauls 30-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
Starting a ten bowhunt today!! Will try when i have service to keep this updated.. Here we go! Beautiful cold morning along the Athabasca River..

06-Oct-18

standswittaknife's embedded Photo
Was an amazing opening morning. We heard 4 bulls and saw three is them. One shooter came in befind us and winded us before I could get a shot. Also had a nice black bear at 45 yds broadside w no tag. Pic us if the two lil bulls sparing

06-Oct-18
Pic if the bear

06-Oct-18

06-Oct-18

Athabasca river

06-Oct-18

06-Oct-18
Good luck and safe hunt!

06-Oct-18
We saw five moose tonight. One shooter but the wind was wrong so we decided to back out. Weather is supposed to be nice and cold tomorrow. The rut is one big time..

07-Oct-18
Awesome! Keep us posted and shoot straight!

07-Oct-18
This morning was the tots opposite.32 degrees quite and calm. Not one moose heard or seen. Going to move a little down the river for the evening hunt..

07-Oct-18
Who are you hunting with?

07-Oct-18
NOA- Northern Alberta Outfitters

07-Oct-18

Yes northern Alberta Outfitters with Ben Cockel (coke el) . Today wa slow. Snow moved in. Tomorrow should be great.. these guys are seeing some amazing whitetails too. This place is a whitetail Mecca. Ben killed this buck on his place three years ago and was featured in bow hunter mag.. 263”

08-Oct-18
Good luck, cant wait to hear all about it!

08-Oct-18
Saw a great bull after setting up for a while. We had a boat come in on us about 300yds from our set up so we decided to move after about 30 minutes if calling and sitting. I’ll be damned if we didn’t look over our shoulder on the way out and a good bull was standing where we had been sitting.. think those hunter / boaters may have pushed him to us or he was coming in. No grunts since day one, but the snow helped today confirm moose are still in our area. Going back for one more good hunt in this particular area tonight.

08-Oct-18
It will happen

09-Oct-18
Yes sir.. Ben offers 10 day hunts on all his fall moose hunts which is nice with the extra time. Moving a little bit down the river to a different spot to see if we can find a rutting bull. Moose are in our area but going to try this spot where they have killed bulls in the past as well. Just another 5 miles from out initial spot.

09-Oct-18

09-Oct-18
Good luck Danny and thanks for taking the time to post your hunt.

09-Oct-18
Don’t know how the guides there do it, everyone is different but we wear black and call in the open, not wearing Camo and sitting in tight cover like most bowhunters think they should. Just a little tip. Good luck!

09-Oct-18
Thx mike, he’s basically doing the same. We’ve been using a Montana decoy that he is sitting behind and calling from. How’s the moose season your way? No moose this morning but more tracks in the snow. They are there just need something to react.

09-Oct-18
Keep grinding and you will get your opportunity!!!

Mark

09-Oct-18
Good luck, Danny!

09-Oct-18
In for the ride, good luck bud!

09-Oct-18
Had a great night and almost let an arrow go but the cow spooked at the wrong time. Saw a giant on the way out going into then area we had come out of. Some good sign in the snow. Still can’t get one to grunt for us but plenty of time left.

10-Oct-18
Had a small bull at 35 yds w a cow. Just to small though i was tempted to fill my freezer. Saw a lone cow.. 26 degree high today. Was the first day my hands froze on me but having fun

10-Oct-18
Good luck! Sounds like it's just a matter of time before it happens!

Shoot straight!

11-Oct-18
No moose tonight. Was spitting rain and cold as hell. Tomorrow morning taking a boat to float the river. Here’s to a change of pace and views.

11-Oct-18
Took off on the boat today and had a blast. Had one good bull that we tried to call in but he didn’t respond. Think he had a cow in the timber with him. Saw two bulls and three cows total. Also saw a good herd of elk with a nice bull along the river. Headed back out now to the cut blocks for the evening hunt.

11-Oct-18
Good luck, keep us posted

12-Oct-18
Tonight was a busy. No moose seen at all. Don’t understand these moose. The first day we were here they were grunting and since the cold snap and two inches of snow dead silence. One hunter did kill a nice bull with a rifle yesterday. Supposed to be Rainey all morning then turn to snow in the afternoon. Sucks to hunt in weather like then but when in Rome..

12-Oct-18
How many more days do you have

12-Oct-18
I have four days left. Ben’s hunts are all ten days which makes it nice. Today could be a crap shoot as it’s raining like hell supposedly turning to snow this afternoon. Trying to get out this morning could be fun but we are giving it a go. Moose have no issues moving in this weather so... lots of giant deer still being seen. Crazy how many big deer are here..

12-Oct-18
Dream hunt. Thanks for taking the time and good luck!

12-Oct-18
I day year is an eternity when the right hunts happen and you have four days. It will happen.

12-Oct-18
12th of October perhaps the rut is winding down?

gone back to feeding to put on some fat for the winter.

12-Oct-18
Usually the ruts best time according to the guides should be this week. Bulls are still w single cows when we see them.. who knows. Headed back to the river where we encounter the giant 2xs. Can’t say enough good about this Kuiu layering system. This cold of weather and been very comfortable the entire time. Base layers, guide pants, snap shirt, Kenia jacket all below a guide jacket. Been amazing so far.. saw a ton of deer this morning while driving and three really big deer in the 160-180 range.

12-Oct-18

Two of the bucks killed this week in camp if i can get them to post

12-Oct-18

12-Oct-18
I'm in Alberta and last evening, while bowhunting for deer, ran across a nice 40" bull with a cow and a calf. The cow stuck like glue to the bull as they made their way away. An hour later spotted a 35" bull 300 yards out. I have a moose tag and was in an area where I can use it but have a freezer full of elk so no need to shoot a moose. Cow called to the bull to see his reaction. He came right in. The rut is definitely still going.

12-Oct-18
Where those deer killed with bows?

Good luck on your last three days!

12-Oct-18
Yes both bow kills.. couple guys from South Carolina.. the whitetails up here are amazing

13-Oct-18
Headed back to the area we saw the mister bull a couple days ago. The department of redundancy department seems to be kicking in, but this section of the river is really holding moose so here we go..

13-Oct-18
Good luck

13-Oct-18

Went into a beautiful lake are. Some fresh tracks and two hours of calling to no avail..

13-Oct-18
Devastation set in tonight.. i finally got the opportunity of opportunities. We bailed into the timber off the river where we had seen the big bill and got to a somewhat of an open area. We set up the decoy and after the first call set a cow worked through to our left. I moved to jimmy’s (guide) left towards and a bull started grunting where the cow had come from. We called a couple times and he came on in a string. Only problem was he was walking straight to me with no shot. At thirty yards he stopped looking at me. Finally he didn’t like what he saw and turned to walk to my left, exactly where i needed him to walk. I drew and he hit actually stopped without me having to stop him in my lane at 30 yatds.. I left fly and the arrow was perfect until at about 25 yards it deflected on that fn twig we have all encountered and deflected.. Inactiallu collapsed on the ground and 8 hard days of hunting and blew it.. total devistation buy holy hell we had fun! Two more full days left. Weird thing happened. The weather temp increases and the sun came out like it was on the first day. Been in the 25-30 degree mark all week until today. Both of the warmer days the bulls were grunting and full rut mode.. the cold still days, nada.. don’t get it, but it’s supposed to be nice the next two days.. gotta love this stuff huh?

13-Oct-18
Dang twigs! Hang in there, Danny! I killed my AY bull on the very last spot of the very last day. Git er dun!

14-Oct-18
You still have 20% if hunt left

.............But when I said it would happen for you I only was promising you’d get a chance not what the outcome of the shot would be. Lol

No guarantees you get another but easy guarantees you will have fun trying........ good luck

14-Oct-18
Headed out now.. another bull was grunting last night that didn’t want anything to do with the big bull i decided to miss, and he never did spook after the shot. Very impressed with the Montana decoy so far. We had it up in the timber with us when i shot and he calmed down. So maybe another chance at him or another bull. This was the third time that big bull reacted to a call (we think the same bull) so maybe he’ll come back in..

14-Oct-18
Good luck today!

14-Oct-18
Hell be back. No wound no worries. You’ll get another chance. Redemption is sweeter than scoring the first time anyway.

14-Oct-18
Dang I hope you get another crack at him! Good luck man! Rooting for ya down here in Colorado!

14-Oct-18
Danny can sure tell a story!

14-Oct-18
Well u got one chance hang in there it’s not over till it’s over good luck.

15-Oct-18
These short reports are kinda exciting. Makes ya want to read more.

15-Oct-18
Today is the day!!

15-Oct-18
Good luck!

15-Oct-18
Guys i have to confess that i have had the best of moose hunt you can. Yesterday morning we took off back down the river where i missed the night before. As soon as we hit the bottom land we spotted an absolute giant at 100 yds. We were stuck in the opening and decided to simply grab the Montana decoy and walk straight at him grunting. He stood his ground staring at us until we hit 63 yds(i ranged him) i needed twenty more yards to get a clean shot. Unfortunately he had a cow bedded with him and she jumped up and moved away. We tried to call him back in to no avail.. we contributed down the old cut road and hit the side creek where we spotted a nice bull in the timber staring at us. He had us pegged but the guide was carrying my decoy out in front of him. We had literally a 15 minute staring contest. I think he was making sure all the grunting he heard earlier had nothing to do with the cow in front of him. After the second good cow moan he committed to come in. I got down to the left on my knees and ranged the two spots he would pop out. He did exactly that at 26 yards. I drew and he stopped qtrd to me. Not going to take that shot on any animal, let alone a big bull moose. We counted in the video how long i was at full draw. To was two minutes. I finally had to let down. He didn’t care much and wanted to cow. It was pretty cool watching him lick the air and he finally turned broadside and slowly stared walking away. I drew and put the pin right where i needed it and let go. In my mind i saw the arrow zip right through his chest. He took a couple steps and stood for a little while. I couldn’t get another arrow in him for insurance until he slowly started moving away. His me stopped at 30 yds broadside and i drew again. This has never happened to my but i felt the arrow fall off the string and looked down. My nock was in there string and had come out of the arrow. Panic set in as i had to get the arrow nock off and a new arrow on. Finally i did and he moved out to what i thought was 50 yds. I drew and shot him again but too high in the hump. He took off and i was disappointed in the last shot but saw the arrow pass through him. We waited about an hour and a half befor trailing. We stood where he was standing and found the back 6” of my arrow in the ground. No blood but some where he was standing where my arrow fell off the string. We watched the video that my guide was recording while the bull walked in on his phone over and over and by god it appeared that i hit another small branch 3 yds in front of the bull and the arrow deflected down and more or less hit him in the brisket. We followed him for miles and jumped him once. He bled pretty good but as he kept going up hills my heart sank. We never found him and honestly I’ve never been this sick archery hunting. Almost want to put the bow down but know better. Ok both shots it wasn’t like i was shooting through a bunch of crap praying to make it through. I took my time, waitied for the right angle and opportunity and really ended up looking through and never saw these branches. We went back to where the moose was standing and sure as sh*t there was a little crease in the dead twig showed exactly what happened. I have a hole in my gut that doesn’t want to leave.. this hunt was amazing. We saw 14 bulls in 9 days, had great opportunities and loved it. My buddy and co- worker killed a great 10 point mainframe last night that we recovered today. Perfect shot and a great buck, I’m yhe only idiot in camp this week to not fill my tag. Three big whitetail bow kills and one nice rifle moose. Ben should have been 100% but i fd it up.. my dad is here now and it’s time to pack up and on the road tomorrow. Back to Colorado.i will post the video and pics later.. northern Alberta Outfitters is a class operation. We will be back at some point.. thanks for hanging with me and sorry to disappoint all.. by the way, decoying moose in timber is heart stoppingly fun.. best.. Danny

15-Oct-18
Good on you for giving it your best. You have great memories and it’s on to the next adventure. It will happen someday. Thanks for sharing

15-Oct-18
You may not have made a kill, but you had one awesome adventure. Future revenge will be sweet ! Thanks for taking us along with you. Your story kept me on the edge of my seat and I was constantly checking to see if you had updated your posting. That's good stuff.

Safe travels home.

15-Oct-18
Not disappointed at all. Loved the story and appreciate you bringing us along.

16-Oct-18
Enjoyed following along keep after it then you will appreciate it even more.

16-Oct-18
Not to worry Danny, you’re the 2nd best hunter I ever met...... you’re Dad is the 1st. You’ll be back!

16-Oct-18

Tim’s buck

19-Oct-18
Congrats on the adventure....and now you have a very good reason to go back!

30-Oct-18
bump for pat

30-Oct-18
Awesome hunt! Awesome storytelling!! Sorry it didn’t work out to plan that happens in bowhunting sometimes as much as we prepare

• Sitka Gear