SBH 07-Oct-18
goelk 07-Oct-18
rallison 07-Oct-18
Treeline 07-Oct-18
Z Barebow 07-Oct-18
midwest 08-Oct-18
Jasper 08-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
I feel compelled to say a few words about my elk hunt in Wyoming. I drew a very limited type 1 tag and bought the archery stamp to bowhunt the month of Sept. During an early summmer trip to Cody/Yellowstone I stopped in and did a quick check of the unit. I met a ranch family that had a guest house that they rented to me for 17 days. I've never met better people in my life.

From the time my buddy (who came along to help) and I arrived until I left 17 days later, every single person we met went out of their way to help me get onto elk. A lot of the guys either had a tag, or had a family member who had one and were scouting for rifle season. I would get a text, or someone would stop by the ranch to tell me where they had seen a good bull. A family member of the ranch, who had a tag and was bowhunting, showed me his honey hole and told me to hunt it. I eventually killed my bull there. Another bowhunter invited me to his camp and grilled me a steak that came from his family's beef ranch. Damn that was good. He was very knowledgeable about the unit, and gave me some pointers as well.

I probably met a dozen people who in one way or another were in the area to hunt or scout, and not once did I get the cold shoulder that is so prevalent in most competitive hunting situations. Thanks Wyoming for a fantastic experience, and teaching me a valuable lesson on how to treat fellow hunters. I'll try to pass it on.

06-Oct-18
That's very cool!!

Nice report but how about some hunt details and pictures ?!?!? :)

G

06-Oct-18
Greg x2....;^)

06-Oct-18
Really is nice to hear positive stories like this...thanks and show us your bull!

06-Oct-18
That is awesome! Glad you had a great hunt & met some great folks, now you'll have to extend the courtesy on down the line sometime! (grin) Good stuff!

ElkNut/Paul

06-Oct-18
Great story. I had very similar experiences in WY with residents last year.

06-Oct-18
There are a lot of helpful ranchers and hunters out there.

06-Oct-18
Cool story - thanks for sharing!

06-Oct-18
Good stuff.

06-Oct-18
I’ve found people you meet in the field, or in person, are often more helpful and friendly than people you “meet” on the internet.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing

06-Oct-18
No better bunch of people than hunters ranchers and farmers! Put them in Wyoming and it's doubly positive!

06-Oct-18
I had a good experience with some folks in Creede this season as well. They kindly invited me to stay at their cabin when they heard I was going to sleep in the back of my truck that evening. It's nice to know there are good people out there!

06-Oct-18
You can't post up a story like that, and then not add the picture of your bull. Hit edit, and add that photo buddy.

06-Oct-18
What goes around, comes around most often. Thanks for the story. my best, Paul

06-Oct-18
Very cool! I hope to have a good experience like you when i hunt WY.

07-Oct-18
Congrats on your bull. Hope To hunt Wyoming elk soon. Happy to hear nice people helping nice people

07-Oct-18
Glad to hear you had such a positive experience in WY. Good people leave a lasting impression you’ll never forget. Congratulations on the successful hunt.

07-Oct-18
Great to hear there are still wonderful people in the world these days and you had a great experience!

07-Oct-18
That’s awesome. I decided quite a while back to save my WY elk points and start putting my son in when he was eligible to get youth points. I told him I would keep them going while he was in college and we would share those points when he got out. I hope I can find us something like that in a couple more years.

Let’s see that elk!

07-Oct-18
Very nice post. My Wyoming experiences have been very similar. Great state and great people.

07-Oct-18
I've been the beneficiary of some great people myself and am deeply indebted. I try to pay it forward whenever I can. Congratulations on your hunt! I agree though, we'd love to hear the rest of the story.

07-Oct-18
Wyoming is good people.

07-Oct-18
Great people in Wyoming. One of the reasons I retired here.

07-Oct-18

Robear's embedded Photo
Robear's embedded Photo
Yep, you guys are right, I should have added a pic. I tried to edit it in to my original post but I keep getting an error message so I'll try it here. I apologize for the crappy picture. At the time I shot him on day 15 my buddy had gone home and I was by myself and it was getting hot quickly and he had died in the sun. I was in a rush to get him into game bags and in the shade. The flys and bees were on him instantly. I will do a full story on my hunt later I promise. A lot of stuff happened, so it will take a while to tell.

07-Oct-18
Congrats on the bull. Great to hear about all the kind people you met. Really makes the hunt more meaningful.

07-Oct-18
Nice bull and great story. Thanks for sharing. Way to go WY.

07-Oct-18
I hunted Wyoming from the central Bighorns to the southern Bridger-tetons, spanning from 1975 to 1999. I had nothing but great experiences with all the residents I encountered.

In particular, on a summer scouting/fishing trip with my Wyoming buddy, I had THREE flat tires on Whitherspoon Pass high on the Lander cutoff, miles off pavement. This was the summer after the Broncos beat the Packers in the Super Bowl...I had a Green Bay Packer sticker on my rear bumper near my Wisconsin plate.

We blocked it up and my buddy ran me into LaBarge to hunt down a shop. The manager chuckled when I told him my dilemma, and found a used rim when I asked for four new tires. He OWNED me! He could have gouged the bejeezes outa me, and I'd have no recourse but to grin and bear it. I handed him my credit card and he gave me the break of a lifetime! He was great! Discounted the tires and wanted to toss in the rim for free...I thanked him profusely and insisted on paying a fair price for the rim.

When we got back and pulled in behind that Wisconsin plate and Packer sticker sitting on blocks, I said, "I'll bet that got some chuckles". John said, "There's probably been some pictures taken of that!" Lol.

07-Oct-18
Absolutely some of the best people you will ever meet in Wyoming.

I have never had a bad experience up there. I was amazed my last elk hunt up there when I had problems with my truck and then my trailer how willing they were to help out and get me back on the road.

I also had a massive amount of help from a Bowsite regular the night I killed my bull. Think he may have saved my life that night. Then he spent the next day helping pack out of a horrible spot when he could have been home relaxing. Can’t thank you enough, Ron!

I keep up my membership with Bowhunters of Wyoming to continue to support the local bowhunting organization in one of my favorite states to hunt.

07-Oct-18
+2 Treeline. I have not had a negative encounter in 3 elk hunts. Last years hunt was 3 weeks. I had locals giving me all kinds of intel. (I don't know if it was because they didn't think I was a threat! Or I wouldn't draw the unit again.) It was a combo! I too belong to BOW. A great cause in a great state.

08-Oct-18
Every Wyoming resident I've met has been helpful and friendly. I'm a BOW member as well.

08-Oct-18
Awesome to hear! Well done Wyoming!

• Sitka Gear