Brun 06-Oct-18
Inshart 06-Oct-18
midwest 08-Oct-18
GotBowAz 08-Oct-18
DonVathome 08-Oct-18
orionsbrother 08-Oct-18
bad karma 10-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
What is a good, reasonably priced LED battery operated lantern for basecamp? Enough to light a 8'x8' area and last hours.

06-Oct-18
I was pleasantly surprised by the one I purchased on amazon. They took 3 aa batteries and were 4 for $20. Not as bright as propane but was impressed never changed batteries the entire trip. Will see if I can find the brand.

06-Oct-18
I know it sounds cheesy, but I bought two of the atomic lanterns you see in the tv commercials. They work great. They have a hook and magnet to hang them, and I used them for a week long camping trip on the same set of batteries.

06-Oct-18
I was pleasantly surprised by the one I purchased on amazon. They took 3 aa batteries and were 4 for $20. Not as bright as propane but was impressed never changed batteries the entire trip. Will see if I can find the brand.

06-Oct-18
The ones I purchased were Vont on Amazon.

06-Oct-18
CORE lantern 500 lumen. I'm using it going on three years, about 20 nights per season, on the same set of batteries. It takes D batteries but that is ok as so does my portable shower. I really like it. I paid about $40 delivered to my home

06-Oct-18
Check out Luci lights, don't know if they are bright enough for what you're looking for, but we use two of them and they are solar charged and pretty light. Set them outside where they can get good sunlight for the day and they last several hours

06-Oct-18
Ebay has the Core 500 for 28.99 shipped. It will light an 8 by 8 on low easily.

06-Oct-18
Like MGray, I also purchased the same lantern as his, the Atomic Beam Lantern, but purchased it at Kings Soopers store for$20 here in Ft. Collins. It uses 3 2A batteries and LED lighting. With batteries, it weighs 8 oz. I use it inside my popup camper sometime in the middle of the night but it was great outside around the camp in the evening and early morning.. So far, impressed. Paul

06-Oct-18
What old goat said. Luci Lights. No batteries, waterproof, light, collapsible and compact, inexpensive. They throw good light. They'll charge well on even cloudy days. I've got some that are more than five years old.

06-Oct-18
I saw one at Harbor Freight for $22 and was 1250 lumens.

06-Oct-18
Also very happy with cheap one off the TV ad. Sister gave it to me for Christmas. Uses 3 AA batteries, very bright and last a long time.

06-Oct-18
There are a number of LED work lights at Home Depot and Lowes. I have two different varieties from Utilitech, one with batteries and one that's rechargeable, both about $20. The rechargeable one lasts approximately 60 hours on the low level.

06-Oct-18
Another vote for Luci lights. They work great, are very light and you'll never need batteries.

06-Oct-18
Another vote for the "Atomic Beam" as seen on TV - used it in elk camp this year and it worked great. Also used it in the garage a few times - same batteries and is plenty light enough.

08-Oct-18
I really like the little bit of heat you get off a gas lantern in elk camp.

08-Oct-18
Im with Midwest, I can warm up a 10 by 10 wall tent in a hurry with a gas latern. Roll over, fire it up wait 5 minutes and crawl out of the sack in a nice warm room.

08-Oct-18
Thanks guys! The heat part is nice too. I am afraid I will bump it and burn myself of other stuff.

08-Oct-18
If you're in a base camp, a propane lantern or a gas lantern is nice. Lay a baby wipe on top for about ten seconds and your "maintenance" is luxurious.

10-Oct-18
There's a light at Walmart that looks like a flying saucer. Cheap, and works well for lighting in Kifaru tipis.

• Sitka Gear