Boris 07-Oct-18
goelk 08-Oct-18
LKH 08-Oct-18
Aspen Ghost 08-Oct-18
goelk 08-Oct-18
goelk 08-Oct-18
Boris 09-Oct-18
06-Oct-18
I shot a bull twice thinking i miss the first time , second arrow hit a branch and hit high above the shoulder. Long story short. I track him until i reach private property. Call owner and got premission to search for him. I jump him and he ran across a road that i did have permission to cross. Thinking the bull will survie with a shoulder wound and back out. I receive a text today from the rancher they came across the bull six days later after the season over and the bull was not doing well. He had two wounds. I dont know if he should have contact me earlier or does it manner since the season end. Im just taking this an lost bull. Im i wrong. I feel ready sick. What should have i done?

06-Oct-18
Does not sound like you did anything wrong. Hunting is not a 100% quick results, there are late casualties and he will not go to waste..

06-Oct-18
If you are satisfied that you did your best, then that's all you can do. It's good to feel bad about it, shows you're not a jerk, but don't let it linger too long. We've all lost animals, and it makes us sick, but we're not perfect. I feel for you, I hate to lose one, but from time to time it's gonna happen.

06-Oct-18
Unfortunately, it would be illegal for you or the landowner to go put that bull down. It definitely makes a guy sick. You might try calling CPW and asking to talk with a game warden. The game warden may go with you and put the animal out of his misery.

07-Oct-18
That is a bummer. Only I don't know why you'd blame the landowner for not contacting you earlier, he didn't have anything to do with the two holes in the elk...

07-Oct-18
I agree with Treeline. Don’t see any better option.

07-Oct-18
how long did you wait after shooting the second arrow before tracking the elk?

07-Oct-18
Sorry to hear that man. I think we've all been there to some degree or another. Keep your head up. You did what you could. Do everything you can to be prepared for next season and stack the odds in your favor. Even when everything goes right and you get a shot opportunity....things can still end wrong. It happens, and I'm not making light of it. Mourn it for a day, then be motivated by it and move on. Good luck.

07-Oct-18
Dirty D you right i put the two arrows in him and i blame myself. First animal I've lost in 40 years. WYelkhunter- i waited for over hour than track him to private and waited another 2 hours for the rancher to call me back and meet him to go thru his property. Thanks for your response really appreciated. I just hate to see a animal suffer. Waiting for a call back from CPW.

07-Oct-18
I guess my only question would be...what did the rancher mean when he said the bull was not doing well? The fact he was still alive after 6 days is an indication he may very well survive as long as infection doesn't set in, although he may be stiff and sore for now.

As others have already stated, unfortunately things don't always go as planned or hoped for. As drycreek suggests, don't beat yourself up too long. All you can do is reflect upon everything that happened, and be honest with yourself if there were things you could have done better. If so, do your best to learn from your mistakes, correct them so they don't happen again, and move on.

07-Oct-18
unfortunately i know how you feel. If you have really only lost 1 animal in 40 years that is quite impressive..I've lost more than that in 23 years. Elk are tough and he may survive, I relocated the bull i hit in the shoulder last year and he is doing just fine. I was determined to finish the job this year but I crossed paths with his big brother first. Guess we'll have a rematch next September. Sounds like you did everything you could so keep your head up and learn from any mistakes you feel you made and get after them again next year!

07-Oct-18
Just curious as to what the rancher`s demeanor was....was he upset, did you possibly lose access or was he understanding.

07-Oct-18
Just curious as to what the rancher`s demeanor was....was he upset, did you possibly lose access or was he understanding.

07-Oct-18
The rancher was really nice but he did stated that i could not cross a certain area because he had other hunters hunting. I respect that. I will learn from this. Yea ive been lucky to not lose a animal until this year. I ve Known the rancher for over 15 years and he give me his number in case i have wounded elk run onto his property. First time i had to call. Nice people.

07-Oct-18
I think a little thank you something to the rancher for letting you go after the bull, should be in order.

08-Oct-18
Boris Working on that already. Thinking of the samething.

08-Oct-18
The bull doesn't have an abdominal wound or it would have died in 24 hours. It may have infections. I know of a bull, tooth aged at 17, that had a stiff hind leg and when butchered yielded 3 broad heads and two rifle slugs.

It may make it through but the best option is definitely the warden. Most are very reasonable. Once I was allowed to dispatch a calf the had been caught in a barbed wire fence.

08-Oct-18
The rancher can let someone take care of the problem in rifle season.

08-Oct-18
Time will tell. There are plenty of cats around. The rancher inform me that a cat had kill 3 calf elk and a young colt in the area where we hunt.

08-Oct-18
Ya i hope the rancher clients get a chance. He a great bull a big 6x5.

09-Oct-18
If there is a place they like to eat, gift card. Or a couple of bottles of apple royal. If they drink. Just a thought.

• Sitka Gear