Mule Power 09-Oct-18
buci 313 09-Oct-18
drycreek 09-Oct-18
Reid 09-Oct-18
Sidekick 09-Oct-18
dmann 10-Oct-18
smarba 10-Oct-18
09-Oct-18
I've seen quite a few threads about clothing but what are you guys wearing for gloves? I'm hunting from northern Michigan to southern Ohio to western Kansas. Hard to keep hands dry in the morning with heavy dew covering everything. Usually when I'm on stand I wear a thin pair with a muff and hand warmers. Neoprene makes for sweaty palms ;-)

09-Oct-18
And um no... I'm not buying a pair of $85 Sitka gloves

09-Oct-18
I'm running bass pro glove-mits for colder temps and just cheep fleece for early season days afield

09-Oct-18
Everyone of us has likely bought 50 plus pair of gloves in our years because we can not find a single solution. Best I can come with is multiple pairs while hunting to switch out as needed.

My best series of glove solutions are Sitka gloves!

09-Oct-18
$5 military surplus wool glove liners. If you really want to be cool, you can cut the fingers out for the pair you use after you get in the stand. Or, you could go buy the FL or other name brand ones for $45 shipped.

09-Oct-18

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Cotton jersey gloves...
Cotton jersey gloves...
Wool liners...
Wool liners...
Wool liners, with a frozen protein bar. :)
Wool liners, with a frozen protein bar. :)
Early season I'll use a jersey glove with fingers cut out like shown. As it gets colder, I use wool liner type gloves, again with index/thumb cut out. When it gets REAL cold, I'll combine the wool gloves with a good waist type hand warmer. I can't use the large bulky gloves.

09-Oct-18
Fuzz, I bought a cheap pair of ski gloves, around 20 bucks at Wal-Mart. They are waterproof to get to stands in dewy wet grass/reeds in the mornings. Once im in the stand I use a hand muffin with chemical hand warmers. I have a thin cotton glove on my bow hand. I keep my release inside the muffin and hot from the warmers so come time to draw my fingers stay warm for a long time.

09-Oct-18
I've never found anything better than glomitts for cold weather hunting.

09-Oct-18
Jersey gloves plus a hand muff with warmers.

09-Oct-18
I never used a muff 20 years ago.... and it was always a battle to keep my hands warm. I also never hung my bow up back then.... always holding a frozen bow.......

In cold weather now I wouldn’t think of going out without a muff with a couple of hand warmers in it....... while my bow is hung up.

Gloves are not important ..... Like others posted here.... jersey gloves or inserts.... cut up to accommodate my release.

09-Oct-18
Through experience I've come to find that through most of the season my hands do better with regard to temperature control and sweating when wearing a light-mid weight pair of fleece gloves. My go-to pair is a set of real cheap ones I bought at Wal-mart years back for like $5. I think they were the Outfitters Ridge brand, but not sure. I wish I would have bought 10 pairs and I don't know what I'm gonna do when they bite the dust. I was gifted a set of Sitka gloves and I have some others that aren't terrible, but I always gravitate to that one pair. Having said that, real cold weather in the late season brings out the glo-mitts.

Gloves not important? Try going afield without them for a season.

09-Oct-18
As long as I have a muff with hand warmers in it then ratty old gloves like Embry posted are all I need..... I probably have a dozen just like his with the right hand side being all cut up for my release....

And yes.... I could hunt no problem without gloves in the UP of Michigan with a muff and hand warmers.... gloves provide camo though...... The fact that your go to gloves are a pair of $5 cheapos illustrates my point..... I see on line that Sitka gloves run anywhere from $35 to $150........... I wouldn’t spend $150 on a pair of gloves if you gave me the money...(Unless it was to hunt muskox or polar bear or something like that).... but that’s just me. To each his own.

09-Oct-18
I keep several pair and weights in my pack I change if needed

09-Oct-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I am with some others, Army surplus green wool gloves. Take two pair, wear one and put the other one next to your chest to keep it warm as a spare. If real cold, I do put on a pair of very loose fitting mittens over them but will slip them off when shooting. Just do not drop them on the ground when a deer is approaching. my best, Paul

09-Oct-18

Vids's Link
I bought a pair of these Seirus gloves about 10 years ago and they work great in most weather. These were the solution I found after years of searching for a glove that kept my hands warm and I could still have enough dexterity to shoot.

When it's too cold for those, I switch to a thicker skiing type of glove with a hand warmer inside. Mittens with a hand warmer work too. The only drawback is you have to take one off to shoot.

09-Oct-18
I wish I could find the knit hob knobs you used to buy everywhere for like $2.50 I used to stock up om them and now the stock is depleted and I cant find them. The hunting gloves I see today need to be sold with KY jelley to ease the pain of the price. No way will I pay that for gloves.

09-Oct-18
Thanks fellas.... you basically reinforced what I already knew but was hoping there was something I didn't lol! I'll just keep on keeping on with the muff and cheapy gloves.

09-Oct-18
I only wear gloves to and from my stand. I don't like shooting with them on, especially my release hand, so I don't usually have them on while on stand or in the blind. I use a muff to keep warm until the time for a shot arrives.

09-Oct-18
If it’s extremely cold, I’ll wear a heavy mitten with a hand warmer tucked inside, on my bow hand and just a fleece or cotton jersey glove with a hand warmer inside along with another hand warmer in my release side pants pocket as well. If it’s just chilly out, I just go with the fleece/cotton jersey gloves and hand warmers.

09-Oct-18
I am a "jersey glove" guy myself....I have slash hand warmer pockets on my coveralls and if it gets really cold a muff. I practice with a gloved finger so no need to cut it off.

09-Oct-18
I usually don't wear any gloves but one of my more savy hunting and fishing partners swears by the jersey gloves. Because I can't seem to hang onto both gloves ever this is the route I would go if I were using gloves. I am more of a pocket and handwarmer guy gloves seem to always be in the way and I think I lose them because I can't stand to wear them and the are always ending up in my armpit.

09-Oct-18
Same as Embry. Those muffs with a hand warmer are amazing.

09-Oct-18
Light pair of merino type gloves inside of WOOL glomitts seems to be the best I can do. Have tried all kinds of stuff it gets too cold here, waiting for global warming to lend us a helping hand...

09-Oct-18
for me, fit is what counts most. Doesn't matter how nice the gloves are, if they don't fit well, they are horrible to wear. Too tight, and my fingers go numb, even if it's 50 degrees out. What I end up wearing most are a cheap pair of gas station gloves I bought at random. They are comfortable, they don't pick up a bunch of thorns/burrs, and they are just loose enough that I can take them off quickly when I need the dexterity of bare fingers.

09-Oct-18
I like the muffs for sure with a good pair of mid layer knit gloves when it’s time to shoot.

09-Oct-18
Kuiu gloves and a muff with hand warmers.

09-Oct-18
Thin fleece gloves then hand warmers as the temps drop.

09-Oct-18
In cold weather applications (where you don't want to buy separate gloves), through a small heater pack in the glove and keep them in a muff warmer until the shot opportunity.

Mark

09-Oct-18
"The fact that your go to gloves are a pair of $5 cheapos illustrates my point..."

Actually it doesn't. I consider that $5 pair a very important piece of essential gear. Important gear does not have to be expensive. If gloves were not important, I wouldn't wear them. I guess you feel differently.

09-Oct-18
Call me crazy but I really like my military wool inserts better than anything, warm even when wet, can wipe my snout without ripping it off my face, quiet, and cheap.

09-Oct-18
The only glove I've found that I can shoot with without it affecting my shot, while providing any significant warmth are the thin Kuiu merino wool gloves. I put them in my waist strap hand warmer thing with chemical hand warmers. For when it's truly freezing, Guide Gear makes a huge mitten that I've used down to -30 with wind chill and been comfortable.

09-Oct-18
I use fleece liner gloves and a hand warmer

09-Oct-18
US Military wool glove liners - olive green or black or Wintersilk brand silk liners

If its real cold I wear the silk liners under the wool liners.

If it is really, really cold I use a duck hunter hand warmer strapped across my stomach with a 6 hr. Hot Hands inside of the warmer.

09-Oct-18

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
I wanted waterproof so I looked in the Field and Stream fishing section. I love these Simms ExStream foldover mittens. Super soft fleece inside. They sell for $65 Sierra Trading Post has them for $30 right now.

09-Oct-18
I like the glove liners used for ski gloves. Light, breathable and warm.

In extreme cold a muff and a disposable heat pad / warmer work wonders.

09-Oct-18
I can't decide if I like the gloves that come with the peanut butter Snickers or those that come with a heavy antlered buck. Decisions, decisions............

09-Oct-18

Reid's embedded Photo
Reid's embedded Photo
Very Similar to Pat's - I tried different cheap thin combinations for about ten years and but have fallen in love with the mid weight Sitka $30 glove with a knife cut on my texting/shooting finger. Doesn't seem to get sweaty in hot temps and has to get close to freezing before I need the muff/handwarmer. I use mine year-round and buy a new pair before each hunting season. Not cheap, but not $85 either.

09-Oct-18
Jersey gloves if temps are around 50. Rag wool glovemits if under 45. Handwarmers in the jacket pockets once the temps drop to about 35. I frostbit my hands pretty badly when I was a kid so my hands get cold quickly. I also cut a hole in the palm of my shooting hand glove for my release so I don't alter my draw length.

10-Oct-18
I wore icebreaker sierra merino gloves all last season, down into the 20s some days. Just kept hands in my pockets with hand warmers when it got real cold.

10-Oct-18
For me Sitka Ascent (mainly) or Core Lightweight provide ultimate dexterity for shooting with gloves on, protect my hands from sun, temp swings, brush, rocks, slips & falls. Sitka gloves may cost a little more than other options but they fit like second skin and keep the shine of my hands concealed during spot & stalk hunting. They also wick and dry quickly. When it's colder I used these as a base layer underneath something else until it's time for a shot. Yes they wear out over time, but they are my preference over numerous other alternatives that I've tried over the years.

I don't wear anything cotton for hunting. Ever.

• Sitka Gear