WV Mountaineer 16-Mar-20
Glunt@work 16-Mar-20
Ben 16-Mar-20
eBike John 17-Mar-20
12yards 17-Mar-20
PO Cedar 17-Mar-20
Tennhunter 17-Mar-20
09-Oct-18
I have the Kuiu packable rain gear for backcountry hunts. It's great, other than a little noisy. I'm looking for a little quieter rain jacket for day hunts, where I'm ok packing a little extra weight. What do you guys suggest. I am willing to spend money for good rain gear, as I look at it as a priority. thanks

09-Oct-18
I have a Kuiu jacket too but for day hunting when I need less noise (whitetails) I use a Core4 Element rain jacket. It has a brushed outer layer that can get saturated and heavy but I do stay dry. I think Core 4 is no longer made but Black Ovis used to carry a Sylo brand that looked identical.

09-Oct-18
Sitka downpour kuiu Yukon

09-Oct-18
2 Things: HUK raingear for fishing is awesome. Love there bibs and all the features they have on there rain gear. The Jacket from HUK is awesome as well. I have Kuiu as well, but I also have an Under Armour Gore-Tex camo rain suit that I fricking love. It is super quiet, bomb proof, I always have it with me.

09-Oct-18
So the Under Armour is quieter?

09-Oct-18
Sitka thunderhead or downpour

09-Oct-18
Is the sitka rain gear quiet? I've heard otherwise

09-Oct-18
I've also used the Cabelas MTO50 rain gear in the past. It's quiet, but it doesn't stay waterproof very long. Looking for durable and quiet.

09-Oct-18
If you can wear a large, and are interested, i have a couple of Rivers West jackets/pants I would sell. Waterproof fleece and very effective! Scored very high on Bowhunter magazine rain gear reviews in the past. Since i have several different sets, some are like new still. Mossy Oak breakup country pattern. Just message me if so.

09-Oct-18
I find my Kuiu Chugach jacketto be quite quiet. I have Yukon pants and they are definitely louder than the Chugach. Sitka downpour is quiet, but loads up, and I have pants in the first pattern so they are essentially black when they are wet.

09-Oct-18
I haven't had much luck with run jackets with the soft outer fabric. Its by design; the outer shell wets out and then the jacket loses its effectiveness.

The best stuff I've found is the Kuiu, eVent, and in cheaper stuff the Marmot PreCip. GoreTex has been a HUGE disappointment on multiple garments.

09-Oct-18
I see the sitka thunderhead is advertised as quiet rain gear. Has anyone used this in the field

09-Oct-18
my downpour is loud, my nimbus was quiet, I used my helley hanson impertech on my moose hunt, it was quiet, its awesome stuff, and cheap

09-Oct-18
I have the KUIU chugach. Pretty good, but not as quiet as wool but better for wet weather!

09-Oct-18
I have the Sitka rain gear. Pants and jacket. It is relatively quiet, in my opinion. It is rain gear material so not totally quiet. Worked great in the few times I've actually hunted in a "real" rain.

09-Oct-18
I have the Sitka Thunderhead system. It is as advertised. It is very quiet. I have not been in an all out Coastal Rain Storm in it but have been in some wet conditions and it kept me dry. Most of all, it is extremely quiet.

09-Oct-18
Yes, the under armour gore tex is quiet. It has like a brushed camo on the outside. Super soft and quiet, the liner is Gore-Tex. I use it for a ground cloth to sit on when I am elk hunting. It is durable and quiet. I like my Kuiu but it is a bit noisey for elk and whitetail hunting. Other good feature is the pants on the under armour unzip past the knee so you can actually strip off and put on easily.

09-Oct-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
In the Sitka, SubAlpine pattern it would be the “Thunderhead Jacket” and Pants. In the Elevated 11 pattern for Whitetails it’s the “Downpour”. The two are very similar just different pattern.

09-Oct-18
Mine isn’t quiet, but usually when I decide to wear it the rain isn’t quiet either. So I don’t worry about it.

09-Oct-18
Nothing ever made that is water"proof" will ever be quiet.. Never. Now, water "resistant" can be quiet for sure,, but it doesnt keep the water out :)

09-Oct-18
None quieter than Rivers West. But you need a place to dry them out every night, the fleece outer will hold some water. You can DWR it and it's better, but still soaks up some. You will be dry and warm. Maybe too warm. They do make several weights of it.

I really love they KUIU Yukon, WRT hard shell raingear it's fairly quiet,but the RW is quieter. The Yukon is better for pack trips and really wet continuous weather. RW you need a wood stove or something to dry each night in those conditions. Had a love/hate relationship with the RW over the years.

09-Oct-18
Charlie noted the quiet Sitka options. They are best for hunts where you can dry them out overnight because the outer brushed face will hold water and become damp, which can also reduce the effectiveness of vapor transfer out. But they are very quiet raingear options.

09-Oct-18
X2 SD BuckBuster

16-Mar-20

Bowman's Link
I think Columbia makes the best rain waterproof jackets.

16-Mar-20

Bowman's Link
I think Columbia makes the best rain waterproof jackets.

16-Mar-20
I got the mid weight Rivers West jacket and had great results. Hunted in a driving rain this past season and didn't get wet at all. Will get the pants next.

16-Mar-20
My sitka rain jacket is very noisey, worked great on Kodiak keeping me dry but for whitetail hunting here at home it stays in the closet.

16-Mar-20
Peter Storm. May not be available new.

16-Mar-20
If you really want quiet, I suggest Rivers West. You will not get wet in it. It feels almost like fleece. If it gets wet, you will need a place to thoroughly dry it out at night like a cabin with a fireplace or stove. It also gets very heavy when it comes a hard rain but not too unbearable.

16-Mar-20
Don’t know if it’s still available but I have some cabelas MT050. I’ve had it for several years. It’s pretty quiet and kept me dry on a wet Alaska moose hunt.

16-Mar-20
If it is actually raining, all the hard shell options should be quiet enough. Hunting in any rain gear, hard shell or with a quiet outer layer, when it isn't raining makes no sense to me. None of it is warm against cold temps, None of it creates a comfortable climate between them and your skin. Why would anyone wear a rain coat when its going to be dry? Which means if its really rain gear, its going to be loud.

16-Mar-20
I use Cabelas Space Rain. Not quiet but if its raining hard enough to wear it, noise isn't a factor. Packs down tiny.

16-Mar-20
I have worn mine multiple times when it is not raining but, So windy and cold I used it to stop the wind and stay out longer.

17-Mar-20

eBike John's Link
I read this about quiet clothes for hunting, it might help

17-Mar-20
Quiet rain jacket is an oxymoron. LOL. At least in my experience. I wear my noisy stuff hoping there's enough noise in the rain that an animal won't hear me.

17-Mar-20
I second Peter Storm...

17-Mar-20
Just bought Plythal rain gear and there full rut extreme jacket on sale on Camofire with the recommendation of a buddy that lives in Alaska great price for some great looking gear he’s had his for about four years now and swears by it he was formally a Kuiu guy

• Sitka Gear