Contributors to this thread:
wvbowbender 10-Oct-18
Russell 10-Oct-18
elkstabber 10-Oct-18
jerry 10-Oct-18
Lee 10-Oct-18
wvbowbender 10-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
White oaks hit really good where I live, my question is has anyone tried freezing or just keeping them in the Frig. until they are all gone in the woods, then throwing some out each time you hunt., or if anyone has tried something else I'd like to hear about. I know this may be silly? Bob

10-Oct-18
That actually sounds like a good idea.

10-Oct-18
It would probably work since deer/squirrels/etc prefer white oaks over red oaks. But you had better be familiar with your state's hunting laws because that sounds like baiting to me.

10-Oct-18
I have saved up to 15 gallons of them in the freezer individually packaged in gallon freezer bags. Make sure they are not bored into ( small hole) and have not started germinating. The white oaks germinate almost immediately but the red oaks need stratification. If you are saving them to broadcast in the spring be sure to add some water in the bag, moisture is a key element into keeping them viable. They are a great late season food as well as hickory nuts and beech nuts.

10-Oct-18
I’ve seen guys get busted for baiting doing exactly what you are asking. Know your baiting laws - it would be illegal where I live.

Lee

10-Oct-18
Baiting is legal here. Just looking for the best way to keep them for a month or so. In some cases right back where I picked them up at.

• Sitka Gear