MK111 10-Oct-18
Pat Lefemine 10-Oct-18
grubby 10-Oct-18
jingalls 10-Oct-18
Mac5 10-Oct-18
fshafly2 10-Oct-18
drycreek 10-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
The farmer who farms my ground is going to use daikon radishes for a cover crop this winter. How well will the deer use daikon radishes as a food source?

10-Oct-18
jf,

After having overseeded (into beans) and planted straight brassica plots for 6 years, my first reaction is certainly a positive!

Deer are browsers and like variety. Sometimes it takes a year or two for deer to "really hit" a new food crop in their area.

Let us know how it turns out!

Mark

10-Oct-18
It took 1-2 yrs for the deer to just pound my radish-turnip plot. IMHO it takes deer awhile to learn to eat a new plant.

10-Oct-18

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Radishes get eaten first before my other brassicas then get abandoned when they get mushy in early winter. Turnips hold on better in winter but they are lower preference until 2-3 hard freezes. That’s been my experience anyway after 10 years of planting them in northern New York.

Pic was taken last week. I had ten deer hammering radishes and stepping over the turnips and rape.

10-Oct-18
radishes have been my best food plot both in deer consumption and In growth.

10-Oct-18
I mix radishes in with my turnips and the deer pound them early and then late winter they will dig up th tubers and eat them.

10-Oct-18
My farmer did the same exact thing this year......He planted winter wheat after he harvested the beans last year, then planted Radish's as a cover crop after he harvested the wheat....I was very skeptical at first, but am very please to see how the deer have taken a liking to them! Last night I watched 7 bucks and 14 does walk across 5 acres of food plot, to go eat on the radish field!

10-Oct-18
Although the whiteoaks are dropping big time around here in So MD, deer still are browsing my radish/rape plots. -fsh

10-Oct-18
I got a few radish seeds mixed in something else and they were eaten immediately and down to the ground. I had to use google to even figure out what they were. I planned on planting some this year but forgot.........:-(

• Sitka Gear