IdyllwildArcher 16-Oct-18
ELKMAN 17-Oct-18
Brian M. 17-Oct-18
Bake 17-Oct-18
Brian M. 18-Oct-18
10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I first discovered Lefty back in 2016. He broke all my rules about getting excited over a 2 year old. Lots of times, I don't even pay much attention to 2 year old buck pictures, because I can't differentiate between 100 inch 8 points. And lots of time, they disappear.

Lefty, however, was a little exciting to me.

This picture is the first picture I ever got of Lefty back in 2016. Notice the notch in his right ear, that will confirm he's the same buck throughout the years

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I never saw Lefty in 2016. I wouldn't have shot him, but I would have tried to get some cell phone video or pics

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
More 2016 pictures . . . .

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Lefty in 2017
Bake's embedded Photo
Lefty in 2017
On to 2017. I was interested to see Lefty show back up on camera. Again, notice the notch in the right ear. Again, I never saw Lefty in 2017. I didn't hunt the farm much in 2017. Maybe just 10-12 hunts on this farm. I was concentrating on a couple different bucks on 2 other farms, so I didn't hunt my normal farm much.

I was really excited, and hopeful that Lefty would make it through the 2017 season.

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Couple more 2017 pictures. I did get some daylight pics of Lefty in 2017, but not a lot. I got the sense that Lefty spends a lot of time off of this particular farm. I believe he actually spends a lot of time on a different part of this farm that I don't hunt, because the landowners spend a lot of time on that portion, so I kinda stay away from there and give them their space

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Lefty in 2018
Bake's embedded Photo
Lefty in 2018
So now it's 2018. I pulled cams back in January, and actually, Lefty had disappeared off the cams after November. I was a little worried.

I had some limited summer cams out, and got a couple really bad early pictures of Lefty still in velvet. Don't have them on this computer, so I was excited to see he made it. But I had no idea what he'd be this year.

I haven't hunted yet this year. I had my gallbladder removed on September 24th, and my surgeon said no lifting (or pulling a bow) over 15 lbs for 6 weeks.

10-Oct-18
So... You need someone to come in and take this Lefty character out?

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
So my 6 weeks will almost be up around Halloween, and that is when I intend to start hunting seriously for Lefty. I intend to use this thread as a live journal over the year of my hunt for Lefty. if I'm unsuccessful, which is most likely, I will continue into 2019, if Lefty makes it . . .

This is a large farm, mostly hardwood ridges. I have 8 prepared stands that I feel Lefty is most likely to walk by. I have about 20 other stands on the place, some of which I'll undoubtably hunt throughout the rut, as he could walk anywhere. But actually I believe if I kill him, it will be out of one of 3 stands I have in mind for him.

I also have some ideas for mobile setups on different parts of the farm as well that I believe him to be using. So it should be a fun year.

I may not hunt Lefty on every hunt. I have a couple other farms where I don't run cams for theft purposes, and also because they have far smaller security cover, and I believe intrusion is a much bigger deal on those farms. I could potentially find a bigger buck on one of those farms and forget all about Lefty this year. We'll see

10-Oct-18
Lefty is 4 years old this year, I believe that with about a 90% certainty based upon the last 3 years of pics. I'm a sucker for a talented 4 year old. Just not quite to a place in my hunting career that I can pass a mid-140s 4 year old.

I'll check back in around Halloween, with my first hunt for Lefty. I'm literally counting the days. . . .

10-Oct-18
Good luck Bake! I’ve never hunted a specific buck but it seems like he’s “the man”!

10-Oct-18
You're gonna kill him. I have faith in you, Blane. Look forward to seeing more reports. Good luck!

10-Oct-18
good luck, we want pics when you connect... how about a blood trail challenge ?? ;0) ... ... and here I thought this was about that pot smoking nut case that was on the CF a while back before being "poofed" by Pat....

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Quatro in 2016
Bake's embedded Photo
Quatro in 2016
I had another 2 year old on the farm in 2016 that I was REALLY excited about. . . Quatro. But he disappeared after 2016.

I keep hoping he'll show back up. But who knows what happened to him. Dead on the road. Sickness. Or just pulled up stakes and moved. Wish he'd come back

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Besides finding another buck on a different farm. Another thing that could derail the hunt for Lefty is if “Tex” walks by. Tex is 5. He needs to go. He’s looked the same almost every year.

I’ve passed him up twice. Once in 2015, and once in 2016. He won’t be safe this year if he walks by :)

10-Oct-18
Man, the way this thread started, I figured you'd arrowed him early season. Come to find out you're gonna pull a Scoot on us!

JK. I look forward to following along. GL Blane .

10-Oct-18
Ditto Ike! You can't start a thread like this with "Killing"! Interesting stuff, good luck.

10-Oct-18
Maybe a little wishful thinking in the thread title :) :)

10-Oct-18
Good luck on your quest, Bake. It’s very satisfying when you can close the deal on a deer that you have a history with.

Also, it would sure be nice to know what happens to some of those “up-n-comers” that disappear.

10-Oct-18
Good luck bud! Glad you're getting healthy at prime time!

10-Oct-18
Maybe we’ll get lucky and Tex will trot by first! Give us another year for lefty!

10-Oct-18
"Come to find out you're gonna pull a Scoot on us!"

Ya know, for a bunch of bowhunters we sure have an impatient group of guys around here. If waiting half of a day was that tough on people then Bake is definitely going to cause some fatalities with this one! Lol

Good luck Bake! I will patiently wait for you reports and won't piss and moan about when you are able to find time to give us them! Bwahaha

10-Oct-18
Good luck Bake. I have a similar story about a buck named Stuby. It all worked out and I killed him in 2016 as a 4 1/2 year old. Funny thing is after you put so much time into a specific animal, when I walked up on him where he lay, I’ll admit, I did have a moment. Good luck and can’t wait to follow along!!

10-Oct-18
"Ya know, for a bunch of bowhunters we sure have an impatient group of guys around here."

There's a huge difference between being patient WHILE hunting and being patient FOR hunting :)

10-Oct-18
Good luck!!!

10-Oct-18
"I haven't hunted yet this year. I had my gallbladder removed on September 24th, and my surgeon said no lifting (or pulling a bow) over 15 lbs for 6 weeks."

I know your frustrations, I don't have a great buck to chase ( that I know of), but on the sidelines as well. Detached retina in left eye, surgery 9/21. Patiently waiting for clearance to drive and lift more than ten pounds. Already missed a full month of the season. Good luck with Lefty and recovery.

10-Oct-18
Good luck Bake. May all your dreams come true!

10-Oct-18
Good luck Bake!

10-Oct-18
Good luck Bake late October is a great time to be in the woods. I had shoulder surgery and that's probably when I will start as well.

10-Oct-18
We're all getting old ! Too damn many ailments during bow season. I have to have my pacemaker replaced next Monday and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm gonna make my first bowhunt of the season this Saturday and that will be it for at least a week after surgery, if then. I'll have to ask the doc.

Good luck with Lefty Bake, I hope for dead deer pics !

10-Oct-18
Good luck! Those deer that you have history with, are always more fun. Sometimes more challenging too!

10-Oct-18
I will be following this! What a cool buck - it has to be "lefty" or I want a refund! Looks like he had his biggest jump I growth 2016, although a little more in 2017 but not that quantum leap bucks get around age 5... I think you are looking at a 6.5 year old buck IMHO. Good luck!!!

10-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I’d like to feel good at this game of hunting one specific buck, but the fact is I fail more often than not. I chased Ocho, pictured above, pretty hard for two seasons until he disappeared as a 5 year old. I saw him 3 times over 3 years. Missed him once the last year he was around, and he went missing right after. I believe he followed his doe that day onto the neighbor and was killed.

10-Oct-18
Funny. Ocho disproved the night-time scrape theory more often than not. I have a couple hundred pics of him working scrapes. Most of them during the day. Some of them were field edge scrapes he was working in mid to late October as a 5 year old.

At least one of these scrapes was in a high traffic area for gun hunters and cattle checkers. Scrape was on the ATV path. Didn’t matter. He’d check it and work it during the day. Sometimes just hours after an ATV had passed by.

11-Oct-18
Cool thread. Thanks for taking us along and good luck

11-Oct-18
Very cool thread, I will definitely be following along!

11-Oct-18
Cool thread. I'll be following along.

11-Oct-18
Good luck

11-Oct-18
"...when I walked up on him where he lay, I’ll admit, I did have a moment."

I would likely be the same way.

Good luck, Bake!

11-Oct-18
I'll enjoy following this.....good luck.

11-Oct-18
Great stuff Bake!!!

Good luck and thanks for bringing us along!!!

Mark

11-Oct-18
Good lookin buck, great history, good luck! I had a doe that was missing a chunk of ear and had socks, called her Molly, I'd see her almost every time I sat... sadly she was a little too smart for her own good.

11-Oct-18
Good luck! Looking forward to getting to tag along in this thread. Hunting specific bucks is special.

11-Oct-18
What do they say, concerning the JOURNEY and not the destination. my best, Paul

11-Oct-18
Stupid question. Why is he called Lefty when his right ear is missing the tip?:)

11-Oct-18
Good luck with him Blane. I would love to have a specific buck to hunt right now, only happened for me 3-4 times. Good looking buck.

11-Oct-18
One of my favorite whitetail seasons I ever had I chased one specific buck. It was a great chess match and it just seemed whenever I juked, he jived! Late one day in the season I set up in the perfect place and at the perfect time and guess what- he never showed! LOL He won the chess match and I loved every minute of it. Bake, when you set up in the perfect place at the perfect time, I hope he shows up! Good luck and have fun!

11-Oct-18
I named him for his wonky, at 2 years old, left antler. Lefty just sounds better than Righty too

11-Oct-18
Agreed. Lefty sounds better. Now you need a deer named Poncho to go with lefty

16-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Don’t rat me out to my doctor bowsite . . . I just couldn’t handle it. I’m in a stand I call the Y set. Because it’s where a old road through the timber splits. Lots of acorns on the ground. Wind is perfect. It’s on the edge of where I think Lefty travels. Probably won’t see a deer. But it’s fairly low impact, and the wind is great. We shall see

16-Oct-18
Get him Bake!

16-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
I thought about it. Easy place to drag one out. But probably better not break doctors orders for a doe. It was tempting though. I want some snack sticks

16-Oct-18
Kinda regretting that decision. Would be really nice to have some snack sticks for all day November sits. . .

16-Oct-18
Snack sticks are good...........

16-Oct-18
2 does and an armadillo. Pretty standard October sit for this farm. It was nice to get out though

16-Oct-18
Well, guess I'll be making snack sticks tomorrow. Still got some venison from last year that needs to be eaten. Best of luck, Blane!

16-Oct-18
Glad to see you made it out Bake. Looking forward to following this thread. Good luck!

16-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Starting about now, I stop checking cameras unless I happen to walk by them while walking into or out of stands. Checked two cameras tonight. . . . Here’s Lefty!

16-Oct-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
And one of those young up and comers that you hope make it another year or two

16-Oct-18
You're on him. Lefty's down to double digit days of life expectancy.

17-Oct-18
Very cool... Get im!

17-Oct-18
You cheated Bake...I wish I had too. My doc says I can resume normal activity on Sat. with no restrictions. I asked if I can shoot my bow right now. NO, wait till Sat. :o(

Not really a choice anyway, my truck fuse box burnt up AND my wife's trailblazer blew the tranny. Both vehicles had to be towed yesterday. When it rains, it pours.

Since you cheated.....I'm rooting for Lefty. ;o)

17-Oct-18
Brian M., I didn't technically cheat, because I never drew my bow :) Really, it's the bow drawing that they don't want me to do.

But Idyll pointed out to me that I'm probably good to go, and to breathe while drawing :) So I figure I'm good

Good luck with your vehicle troubles, and I hope you can get out hunting soon

18-Oct-18
Truck is fixed, Trailblazer is junk. Wife already looking at a Jeep.

And Saturday be damned, I'm heading out to a stand in the morning.

• Sitka Gear