MarkU 11-Oct-18
APauls 11-Oct-18
Caddisflinger 12-Oct-18
Mr.C 12-Oct-18
No Mercy 12-Oct-18
Bulldreamer 14-Oct-18
Bulldreamer 14-Oct-18
10-Oct-18
My son is considering going to college in Moscow. He is a very avid bowhunter and outdoorsman. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area? Public hunting, otc tags, small game, fishing etc... Any information is appreciated. Thanks

10-Oct-18
Don't base college on location. Worry about location after he gets a great degree.

10-Oct-18
Lots of opportunities around Moscow . From big game to upland to steelhead. Nice part of the world. Hunt

10-Oct-18
Might be better off going to school somewhere with crappy hunting and fishing. If you can find one without girls or beer, that may also be a good idea. Hunting and girls derailed a lot of stuff I "should" have been doing at that age. :^)

10-Oct-18
I agree with you CAS, let me explain a little more. He will have his associates after this year. The college he is at now doesn’t offer a bachelors but has agreements with a handful of other colleges where he can further his education. Moscow is one with a great natural resource dept. He has it narrowed to moscow, one in Minnesota and West Virginia. Just trying to get as much info as I can. I want him to love the experience as well as a great degree. Thanks

10-Oct-18
Idaho was heaven!!!! Then I found Alaska :)

11-Oct-18
If he likes to party, WVU is the place to go. I live 20 min. North. My son graduated from there. At one time it was named the number one party school in the Nation. Not sure about now. The town completely shuts down when there is a home football game.

There is a 3 buck limit in the state with several does licenses allowed. The hunting absolutely sucks in the local area, unless your a poacher.

11-Oct-18
The Palouse is nice.

11-Oct-18
I went to WVU 20 years ago. When it had the number one party ranking. I had what I thought was a lot of fun at the time. He’ll find what he looks for though. No matter where he goes. The only thing I’ll add is the hunting was incredible. Unbelievable actually. Times may have changed because it’s grown exponentially. But, my friends who still live there, kill things just like they used to.

If it were me, I’d choose Idaho. The east has nothing to offer me in comparison. Got a good bud In Idaho who is a mill manager for a big sawmill. If he is in the wood industry, I could put him into contact with him.

11-Oct-18
nice area tons of fish and game ,lots of agriculture land wheat/bean fields and whitetail all over, elk ,pheasant, coyotes...he might not want to leave when he's done ......GO COUGS lol best of luck to him

11-Oct-18
Thanks for the input. It’s an exciting time in his life. He is going into wildlife management, I think a western experience would be good on the resume myself. He has done seasonal jobs with the Ohio division of wildlife, now I believe he needs to be a little more rounded to open up some doors.

11-Oct-18
Bull Dreamer, I got my AAS in Ag. Science, and then transferred to Montana State U. Every credit I ever earned transferred. Even a 6 weeks night course in Physics, which transferred to a full year of Physics there. Awesome! Montana State has a great natural resources (Fish and Wildlife) program. I went there, it is even better now.

11-Oct-18
I thought the Cougs were Washington State, not Univ of Idaho...

11-Oct-18
the wildlife program at U of I is in a pretty good place right now with some great new professors. I think the west would do him a lot of good for experience and resume. Moscow is a pretty cool town and atmosphere. Hunting and fishing right around area are fair. Lots of opportunity within a couple hours drive.

11-Oct-18
You’re correct. Idaho Vandals & Washington State Cougars. WSU is a short distance from Moscow which I assume explains the reference to the Cougars.

11-Oct-18
With the way the #MeToo movement and false college rape accusations is going....send him to Moscow. The American college system is broken.

11-Oct-18

MarkU's embedded Photo
MarkU's embedded Photo
Franklin, I think he means Moscow, Idaho.

Two of my kids graduated from there, and they liked the area so much they bought homes and stayed. My son is a fisheries biologist for the Idaho F&G, and my daughter went back and got a nursing degree and works at the hospital in town. The picture is her cleaning a deer skull from a buck she shot last fall, and there are about 180 elk in the background.

11-Oct-18
Not sure if it's compatible but there is a Game Warden school in Lethbridge, Alberta. Residency status in Alberta equals a hunters dream plain and simple. GIANT WT, Mule deer, sheep, elk, bears, the list never ends.

12-Oct-18
Having gone to school at u of I, I can tell you that there is ample opporunitunity for elk, deer, upland , steelhead.....it pretty much has nothing that a city boy would enjoy!!

12-Oct-18
...the Cougs compete with the vandals in sports! I think the schools are only 20 some miles apart...I plan to retire in that general area,im tell n ya the kid wont wanna leave ..its a outdoorsman's paradise IMO and your only 6 hours drive from the pacific ocean for saltwater fishing good luck

12-Oct-18
Well said Glunt! HAHAHA

14-Oct-18
Scoot, Crookston MN, a branch of U of M. Thanks for all the replies. We are planning a trip on his winter break to see both MN and ID.

14-Oct-18
Scoot, Crookston MN, a branch of U of M. Thanks for all the replies. We are planning a trip on his winter break to see both MN and ID.

• Sitka Gear