Jaquomo 11-Oct-18
Bou'bound 11-Oct-18
Bowriter 11-Oct-18
Ironbow 11-Oct-18
APauls 11-Oct-18
ground hunter 11-Oct-18
RD 11-Oct-18
11-Oct-18
Any body have any suggestions on how get rattling heard from a ground blind? My granddaughter is coming to hunt next week and I planned on having her hunt out of a double treestand with me but she is afraid of heights so a ground blind it is. Rattling has worked well in this particular location but I don't know how well it will be heard from a ground blind, anybody done it ?

11-Oct-18
Hey RD. I did this last year by putting the horns on the backside of the blind outside of the entrance to project the sound. Rattled in a couple that way.

11-Oct-18
Hold your hands/rattling antlers out the window? Is this a trick question?

11-Oct-18
Considering a deer's superior senses, I wouldn't worry about it. A couple I've grunted and/ rattled in from a par 5 across a field never ceases to amaze me not only on the deer's ability to even discern the sound during his normal movement, but to dead on pinpoint my location.

I dunno...maybe it's similar to spring turkey. A wise hunter once told me it's best to call too quiet than too loud, and too seldom than too much.

11-Oct-18
No sitO, no trick question, thought about that but afraid I'd get caught with all the motion out the window.

11-Oct-18
I do it all the time and you'd be surprised how far away they can hear it, especially on a cold, quiet morning. I hunt open country and can watch their reaction. They may not always respond but they sure hear it.

One important tip - hold the rattling antlers loosely in your hands. The sound resonates much better, especially the higher frequencies. If you grip them tightly, as many do, your hands will absorb and muffle the sounds you're trying to produce.

11-Oct-18
Bang them louder maybe?

From a stand I dangle mine on a rope and let them hit the ground the leaves etc. it is a very real sound that adds to the ruse

11-Oct-18
Overall, probably better than rattling from a tree...if the blind is in the right spot. In rattling, location is rule #1. But, is it time to rattle? Maybe you mean sparring. Seems to me, it is tad early to start rattling.

11-Oct-18
Rattle inside the blind and don't worry about it. I have rattled bucks in that way. They WILL hear you.

11-Oct-18
Rattle from outside and break sticks etc then jump inside the blind. Buddies and I were having fun one time we put one guy in a stand and the two of us horsed around like crazy each holding a set and "fighting" one another. Made all kinds of ruckus and snapped branches etc. Buddy on stand killed a nice whitetail minutes later coming in to investigate. Truth is when you hear real live whitetails battle in the bush they make a TON of noise. That's what I hate about rattling from a tree. Can't make enough auxiliary noise to make it realistic enough.

11-Oct-18
Your over thinking it,,,,, I am sure there are dozen of outdoor articles on this ad nauseum..... just go do it, and you will be fine...... were not talking anything complicated here...... good luck and have fun

11-Oct-18
Thanks for everyone's responses

• Sitka Gear