Bowfreak 19-Oct-18
Mr.C 19-Oct-18
Copperhead 19-Oct-18
wyobullshooter 19-Oct-18
ki-ke 19-Oct-18
11-Oct-18
Truly sad! very nice bull.

11-Oct-18
See what happens when they untie them from the trees!!!

That was a joke!!!!!!

11-Oct-18
Non-typical elk if I ever saw one. That's too bad, regardless of the circumstances.

11-Oct-18
Sad. Beautiful antlers on that one!

11-Oct-18
Let's take picture instead of putting it out of its misery. Stupid people

11-Oct-18
How was the lady?

11-Oct-18
removed comment.

no pic no need for comments

11-Oct-18
Sad for the elk, sad for posting this pic.

11-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

11-Oct-18
scrappy,

It is a bit rude to call them stupid people. I have no idea who took the pic, but you are assuming they have the necessary tools to put it down. Also, in my home state it is illegal to shoot an animal in this circumstance we would need to call the state police or fish and game to dispatch the animal.

11-Oct-18
How do you put down a live elk if you don’t have a firearm, spear or bow with you. I don’t think hitting that one on the head with a hammer or cheater pipe is an option. I guess the onlooker should have just wrangled those daggers until she broke his neck? Smh ;)

11-Oct-18
If you put down an injured animal in CO you are in big trouble. Plus, since thats Cali, likeky nobody had a gun anyway.

11-Oct-18

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Yep. Like I said it was a series of pictures. Could have been a video that the Dept of natural resources picked photos out of. In Ca you don’t dare kill an animal even if it has to be put down. I witnessed a doe hit with a broken back in the road bellowing. A woman was there crying and screaming to get animal rescue out there. The sheriffs deputy was there but afraid of the repercussions in shooting it. It’s a stupid world we live in.

11-Oct-18
Why even post this?

11-Oct-18
Guy hit a cow elk in front of us one night with a Corolla.

We put her down and the CPW guy had no issues with it. Wasn't in Boulder...

11-Oct-18
because some live for antlers and it's show me big antlers under any circumstance.

11-Oct-18
Charlie +1. From the thread title, I was expecting something far different. Could have done without this.

11-Oct-18
Tend to agree, why would someone take a pic at that point as well as actually send it to someone. I absolutely live for hunting but have zero interest in seeing a picture of an animal waiting for the grim reaper crippled up on a road, regardless of what's on top of his head, it's depressing not something to show off. Oh hey look a giant huge elk sitting mortified in the middle of the road waiting to be shot, I'd better get my camera!

11-Oct-18
What’s the big deal it’s an animal, @&#* like this happens ......everyday. Hell we post pics every day of the shots we made or tell stories of how we took the shot and hit one but can’t find it or how good the bh did. It got hit by a car while being on a highway......Called life.

11-Oct-18
Why post it?

It’s a result of cell phone use while driving!! So it’s ok to show a picture or video of an animal being shot with and arrow that takes 10-30 minutes to die? Some on here did not believe the bull shot on the Tejon Ranch a few weeks ago was free range. This is proof they are. Sorry if blood offends you. If he had an arrow in him no one would complain I guess.

11-Oct-18
"What’s the big deal it’s an animal, @&#* like this happens ......everyday."

Because most of us actually care for the animals we hunt. That was an absolutely assinine statement. Seeing an animal that was shot fair chase is a damn sight different than one laying in a friggin' road. If you don't understand the difference, I feel sorry for you.

11-Oct-18
Ban the car........

11-Oct-18
“Ban the car......”

Cute.

11-Oct-18
Wow, what's with all the bitchy posts? Is hunting season over already? Reading this thread makes me think it must be March around here already...

11-Oct-18
There, now there’s just a dead animal just like ones posted on here everyday that were shot.

I have great respect for animals. Think about the next time you pick up your cell phone when driving. Maybe it’s a shock to some but a lot of people end up like this too and for the same reason. This was totally preventable. I’ve also seen a bull that was shot with 6 arrows in this shape and still alive.

Hope no one has nightmares tonight.

11-Oct-18
Well, I would get out the popcorn, but I'm full of wild turkey right now. (The bird, not the whiskey)

11-Oct-18
Yeah, but we don't post pictures of "a bull shot with 6 arrows in this shape and still alive" here.

11-Oct-18
My grandma hangs out with a tougher bunch. What do you want us to do stick our head in the sand and pretend stuff like a big bull getting hit by a car doesn’t really happen? It’s a fact of life , some die from hunting and some die from accidents. Happens around here a couple times a month. Maybe the lady that hit him should have washed him up, propped him up against the car then taken a pic.

11-Oct-18
It’s a big bull that got ran over. I agree.....that’s life. Some of you have too much estrogen

11-Oct-18
Wow, you never know what might set somebody off anymore. We kill animals constantly and show them dead in pictures all the time on this site. Videos also where the animal is going through the dying process but an animal hit by a car and dying is a no no.

11-Oct-18
Some people have empathy. Others have genetic empathy defects that allow them to look at an animal, in great pain, struggling for life, and feel nothing. At this point in my life, I try to avoid those people as best I can.

11-Oct-18
I just picked up a nice car kill, where I live. The deputy had no time to come, I just called it in....... end of story

11-Oct-18
Got this from a friend.

My uncle saw a big bull hit in OR years ago and he put it down w/ hand gun. State Troopers came along and asked him why he thought it was his duty to shoot it and asked him to surrender his weapon. He refused, knowing his rights, being a CCC, and interstate truck driver. They eventually backed down.

11-Oct-18
That photo was not a hero shot. I am sure there are some great photos around of that bull alive. The photo was in poor taste, not necessary. The picture of the bull dead on the highway would of been the one to post. I also find videos of guys giggling and high fiving while a bear is giving a long death moan of poor taste.

11-Oct-18
If people had empathy for the animals they hunt they wouldn’t be using a bow. Sooner or latter you will make a poor shot too far back. We know what happens next. Yet you go out with full knowledge knowing it might happen. Every bow hunter on here will tell you that it will eventually happen to you.

11-Oct-18
It's happened to me. I've also spined a deer. I didn't take and post a picture of them lying there suffering.

12-Oct-18
This was a result of illegal activity. If it’s shocking and disgusting? GOOD!! Everyone needs a gruesome reminder what cell phones and driving can do. And please don’t anyone say they’ve never done it.

12-Oct-18
Really... this is a public service announcement for using a cell phone while driving?? This is BOWsite... not interested in roadkill. Ed F

12-Oct-18

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Since we are sharing check this one out. Lucky driver.

12-Oct-18
I didn’t see the pic of the animal suffering. Must’ve been removed. Only one I saw was a dead elk on the highway

12-Oct-18
Real news-some can’t handle it!

12-Oct-18
"its just an animal" is the sadist thing I've read all year on this site, ....the hunting gods are going to make you pay for that someway somehow

hard to see such a majestic beast get taken out that way! don't text and drive you never know who's life you may save

12-Oct-18
Good Lord, snowflakes, get a grip! :) Was it probably a photo that should have been posted here? Probably not......but it was. Cowboy up and deal with it. If it really causes you that much distress then you probably have other issues to address. JMO

12-Oct-18
Hey Boubound, that bull was hit in southern Minnesota, which is highly unusual since there are no elk herds there. Interesting, must've migrated from northern MN...or possibly the Black Hills.

12-Oct-18
Did the lady driving the car get any death threat comments made toward her for killing the elk like the young boy did in the other thread where he posted a pic of his bear?

12-Oct-18
BOHNTR x2

12-Oct-18
Nice bull. Apparently nobody had the tools needed to dispatch the animal. Stuff happens. And happens every day. Likely no worse than being eaten alive by a wolf, that happens every day to. That I see it or don't see it, makes no difference. Majestic? Could have been a doe, a bovine, a coyote. Happen to have a rack that many admire or even covet. So what. Lets not fall into some unicorn worshiping goop. It's an elk. Got hit by a car. Find the will to live on.....

12-Oct-18
Yes it’s a public service annocement also. That elk could be a member of your family on the road. We take hunting road trips. The drive is more dangerous than not wearing a safety harness in a tree stand. Had a friend die Last year from cell phone use and driving.

12-Oct-18
Bou'bound - Dang, looks like some pretty flat country for elk, is that a Tule too?

12-Oct-18
Neither of those elk are a Tule

12-Oct-18
Gutless method, shortest pack out ever, done.

12-Oct-18
Rocky Mountain elk.

Since she broke the law in speeding and texting she should have to pay restitution for the animal that was killed. I’m tired of all these anti hunting/enviro Nazis ragging about killing animals. I would just love to hear about a PETA member paying for killing an animal. Years back my brother knew a fella that went off the road and hit a large pine tree. Judge made him pay restitution.

12-Oct-18
I'd say she learned her lesson.

12-Oct-18
Wow. Glad no one got hurt. Great bull. Hopefully passed along alot of his Genes. I know in utah we are putting up a ton of wildlife fences to funnel them across tunnels and land bridges. One area that was a death zone is now about nonexistent. Peace.

13-Oct-18
This site is becoming more and more like AT with all the winey people. Great bull , shitty scenario, move along.

13-Oct-18
deleted the 1st pic, Then should delete the entire thread . Comments and thread doesn’t make sense without . Oh ! Hunter sensitivity , carry on

13-Oct-18
Grow a pair.

18-Oct-18
mR bowhnter or whatever you call yourself .....the pictures and how it all went down does not bother me at all (cept the cell phone part) the statement made by someone "its just an animal" botherd me and shows no respect for animals that's all I ways saying ...so if im a snow flake for that so be it ...but id rather be that then you good day sir

18-Oct-18
Good thing some of you weren't with me one time when a car in front of me hit a deer. I stopped to help them, and the deer lay in the ditch struggling to get up and run away. It couldn't with three broken legs, so I looked around, and there happened to be a concrete block laying there in the ditch. I picked it up and dispatched the struggling doe, ended her life and 'suffering'. My cousin, a woman two years older than me, was my passenger and she did not like what she saw but she sure handled it well and not like some crybaby lib snowflake. She understood how it had to be. I bet many nowdays would take me to court over such an act of 'mercy' killing. What we as a society are turning into is pathetic, and reality is no longer king, but fantasy has taken over the reigns. It is sad. I do not like to watch anything die, and I feel bad this elk died, and the doe too, equally bad. but it happened, and I am not faint of heart in helping put it out when it is necessary. They shoot horses don't they? get real folks, and yes, man up in real situation. This picture should not offend us, it should open our eyes to reality, and to do the right things, with resolve and strength. Bunch of weak minded attitudes these days. 'Don't show it' is not how it should be. Its real, it happened, deal with it, and work to prevent it.

18-Oct-18
bou'bound, that bull looks strikingly similar to one somebody posted as having shot in Indiana last year. Right down to the almost 6th point on one side.

18-Oct-18
I have hunted there....my company bought a big chunk of property from them for a distribution center. I have had some first class meals at that main ranch house up on top of the grapevine.

18-Oct-18
Yep, you respect them so much that It drives you to put an arrow through it and kill it for sport. Unless of course your so broke and starving you have no choice.

Like some have said, we live in an emotionally charged world.

18-Oct-18
If you're honest with yourself...... it is "just an animal". We kill thousands, millions, every day. Some to eat. Many because they are pests. Some by accident. But they are all "just animals"..... they are not humans. If that lady had been killed, there are those that would shed a tear for the elk...... and ignore the human death, even root for it. THAT is sick. Not the other way around.

If you're one to anthropomorphize or even as some do and place animals on a higher level than man..... then it may be you we should feel sorry for, having lost all connection to reality.

God gave man dominion over animals. To use them for his purposes. They are not human. They are "just animals". We kill them for our own purposes. We can even make them pets and "friends", family even.... we can respect them, love them...... but they are all still "just animals".

Some need to embrace some reality and work a day or three on a kill floor. Then remember that next time you're chowing down on a hamburger or fried chicken. Maybe shake the hand of those who do the dirty work and appreciate them for it rather than do your best to ignore it like most. Pretend that steak just grew from nothing and magically appeared on your plate. That elk was no more special life than the steer on the floor. That's a fact. One many would prefer to ignore, but fact none the less.

18-Oct-18
A.M. TD

18-Oct-18
Trapper, it's great you put that doe, laying in the ditch with 3 broken legs, out of suffering and took the chance of being ticketed for illegally taking a deer. If it was laying there and had a nice rack, would you have taken a picture and throw it up on social media while waiting for the authorities to arrive and put it down? Probably not, and that is what some of us are saying is wrong. We are not crybaby snowflakes, we understand reality. We kill animals. We get it, some here don't.

19-Oct-18
Pete, you're right, most here do get it, but society in general is trending toward not getting it. I wouldn't post a pic of an injured animal I dispatched, doe or huge racked animal. I generally keep my actions to myself (maybe I'll start doing the same with my opinions).

19-Oct-18
Exactly TD.

19-Oct-18
TD I agree with you....I just think im being misunderstood and im terrible at trying to make a point ..that is all

Thanks

19-Oct-18
One time when I lived in Jackson County, Missouri. I got a call from my cousin who said a co-worker of hers had hit a deer on the way to work and it was still alive. I called the game warden and he told me he was too busy at the time and gave me permission to go dispatch the doe. Well it was just inside the city limits of Kansas City so I knew shooting it with my .22 was not a wise choice so I took my 22 ounce framing hammer. I had to strike it twice in the head to finish her off. There was traffic so I tried to time my strikes while there were no headlights shining on me. It was gruesome but I knew it needed to be done and I was able to salvage some meat which provided food for my family. What was surprising was that she had been there for almost an hour before I could get there and no police were there as she was struggling in the ditch and cars were driving past. I suppose if there were reports the police may have talked to the game warden and he told them I was on my way, I'll never know.

19-Oct-18
Exactly PECO.

19-Oct-18
TD x114

• Sitka Gear