Urbncwby 15-Oct-18
Caddisflinger 16-Oct-18
marktm250 16-Oct-18
Shaft2Long 16-Oct-18
petedrummond 16-Oct-18
HoytsDad 16-Oct-18
Proline 17-Oct-18
11-Oct-18
So you guys talked me out of buying a new Tundra in a previous thread. Now I'm going to study and shop for another year or so. That said I want to know opinions on a double cab Tundra vs. the crew max. Which is more important and why... bed space vs. people space? And go...

11-Oct-18
I went for bed space. Nobody that rides in the back complains about comfort.......

11-Oct-18
Edit: I originally stated this opposite, but revised. The double cab still has PLENTY of room in back seat for adults. But the bed is long enough to sleep in (or more gear). No question; get the double cab if you want to sleep in the bed. A friend bought the Crewmax, had it for a month and promptly traded it back in for that exact reason - he needed to sleep in the bed (with a topper) and the Crewmax bed was too short.

11-Oct-18
If you’re not going to get a topper that locks then the crew max fits a lot more gear in the truck which can be locked. That being said, if you’re hauling a quad or mini camper or something else, maybe you need the longer bed? Nobody can answer this question for you. It depends on your situation.

11-Oct-18
The crew max is the larger cab of the two. Get it.

11-Oct-18
I have had 2 DCs and am on the fence of trading my 2016 in for a crew max. To be honest I wish Toyota would add 6" to the rear of the DC and take 6" away from the bed and it would be perfect...for me. The DC is big enough for 2 adults but just barely on really long rides. We drive from PA to CO and a little extra room in the back would be nice since you usually have a pillow and a small personal bag along. I have 3 kids and they are fine back there although a car seat really cuts the legroom for my wife that sits in front of the car seat. I went with the DC the 2nd time around because we used it to haul our camper so had bikes and firewood in the back but we sold the camper. So I could get by with a 5.5' bed to get a bigger back seat. Comes down to how often you use the back seat vs the bed. Oh and something to think about. My first DC had a bench seat and the new 1 has buckets. When you get bucket seats the center console extends a few inches into the back seat area for the middle person. If you have a bench in the front the center console is a little smaller. One dislike of the crew max is there are no damn cup holders in the back of the center console for the rear passengers. They are in the middle of the back seat but that is useless if you have 3 kids.

11-Oct-18
The crew max is superior for cross country trips if you are taking a family on vacation or buddies on a hunting trip. The rear seat area is absolutely massive and large adults can comfortably ride long distances, with all their gear.

There has to be a trade off with that massive rear seat, the bed is only 5.5 feet long vs 6.5 on Doublecab. The payload is reduced by several hundred pounds on CM as well.

11-Oct-18
Double cab here so I can sleep in the bed.

11-Oct-18
Double cab here. If you want a pick-up truck, get the DC. If you want an SUV, well, go buy an SUV. ;-)

11-Oct-18
why would you not drive a Tundra?

11-Oct-18
I almost never have extra passengers. The extra cab room could potentially provide more room inside to keep gear out of the weather, but the extra bed length is much more valuable to me, so Double Cab for me. I can sleep in the bed comfortably, and I can put my Polaris 500 in the back and actually close the tailgate (your experience may vary). I've bought the Double Cab over again with no regrets.

11-Oct-18
I have a crew max. If it was only a hunting vehicle I would go with the double cab. As they said above you could haul more gear or sleep in the bed easier.

11-Oct-18
I have a crew max. If it was only a hunting vehicle I would go with the double cab. As they said above you could haul more gear or sleep in the bed easier.

11-Oct-18
Double. I have a 5.5 bed and wont do that again.

11-Oct-18
tuff to beat toyota

11-Oct-18
Depends on your needs/use as stated above. When I bought my 07 double cab I wanted the 6.5' bed for hauling dog crates. Now 11 years later, never more than one dog, I wish I had the crew max for passenger comfort. That being said I am hauling a twin mattress to elk camp so I guess I am glad I still have the double cab!

11-Oct-18
I have three kids, and three car seats fit great in the back of my Crewmax without them being able to kick the back of my seat (very important). I am also 6'1 and can sleep diagonally across the bed of the truck, comfortably. It would be nice to have an extra 6" of bed length but I really don't miss it all that much.

11-Oct-18
My son has a crew max and I have a double cab. We were just recently talking about this. His crew max allows us to put more soft, valuable, bow's, packs, clothes, etc. Inside the truck where some of this stuff had to go into the bigger bed of my truck. We kind of felt like it was a wash on the gear hauling ability.

I do like my double cab better though and it has plenty of room for passengers.

11-Oct-18
I've been looking at new trucks. I like the Tundra's but can't dig the low gas mileage. The F150's with the 5.0 and much better mileage seems like a better option....at least to me. Also...In the F-150, I like that the tranny tunnel does not extend into the rear compt (on the supercrew) and the back seats folds all the way up. It looks like I could fit a small mattress in there and take a good snooze inside the truck on a flat floor.

11-Oct-18
Double cab long box here. Love it !!

11-Oct-18
I have a 2008 Tundra DC with topper. I have a padded bedliner in the back which is a dream for sleeping in. For my use I would much rather have a DC with larger bed. As mentioned many times above the smaller bed may not work very well if you plan on sleeping in the back and want to haul much gear. There is plenty of room behind the front seats to haul lots of stuff plus lots of leg room in the DC. The crew cab is pretty much overkill if you ask me! It's also nice having a large bed to haul lumber and large items that I use around the house on a fairly regular basis.

I have a 5.7 liter. I average around 17 to 20 mpg in the city and just over that on the highway. Not bad for a large truck! Toyotas are pretty renown for lasting 200,000+ miles and keep ticking!

11-Oct-18
my tundra 2007 has 234,000 and I easily expect 300,000 as for miles if you drive it at 63 get a steady 22, go over 70 and she starts to drop.... 5.7 with large box 18 inch tires, Toyo Open Country at 70lbs, runs good.........

I do not drive fast, I am the guy in the right lane, just getting by, but not in a hurry anyway.....

12-Oct-18

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Bed space.

13-Oct-18
I have a 4-door Tacoma. The DC Tundra would be a better truck for most of what I do and need a truck for.

14-Oct-18

marktm250's embedded Photo
marktm250's embedded Photo
Here is my '09 CrewMax. Wish the mileage was much better and the bed could be longer, but it only has 80k on it now, so I will be hanging onto it for awhile. Since I don't put a lot of miles on it, going to a diesel of better MPG truck would take a long time to break even.

15-Oct-18
Lift kits and big tires kill your mileage...plus the big three lie like a rug when they post their expected mileage ratings.

I've put almost 100k on my 2011 tundra and only done maintenance and changed a battery. The reliability is worth way more than the 60 bucks I might save in fuel costs on an average month.

I tracked mileage for 30k miles and averaged 14.7 mpg overall. That is pulling trailers, city, highway, etc.

I really wish they made the cremax with the 6.5 foot bed, but until then I'm keeping my DC.

15-Oct-18
My 2012 tundra is the DC...the crew max back seat is huge....I prefer the room in the bed.

How do you get a quad in the back of that Crewmax? Or anything else for that matter?

My tundra has been written off and paid for for awhile. My accountant asked about getting a new truck but that Tundra is rock solid- no way. Runs like a raped date on the freeway..or anywhere else. I put the Icons on it and it feels like a Raptor....and it can beat a Raptor if you turn all of the vehicle stability off. [my buddies Raptor get 13]

Toyota makes a great truck...but they get shitty mileage. I almost choked on my coffee when someone claimed 20 mpg....maybe with the old inline 6 and a stick downhill.

My 2012, 5.7L beast of a motor and 33" Toyo open country tires I'm getting 13.6 overall. I get about the same going 80 on the freeway loaded for a hunting trip.

But then its got 90k on it and its as tight as the day I got it 6 years ago with ZERO problems.

I would get run over going 63 around here......

15-Oct-18

JL's Link
FWIW.......

15-Oct-18
I drove my crew max on a Route 66 road trip this summer. Left WV and drove to Chicago, took Route 66 to Santa Monica CA, back through Las Vegas, UT, and back across I-70. 5,986 miles. I reset the mileage when I left and it was on 17.6 when I pulled back into my driveway.

16-Oct-18

Caddisflinger's Link
Yup, very interesting. Real world is a lot different than the sticker.

16-Oct-18
I bought it used with the lift and it had 35s but went down to 33s. Definitely my last truck with a lift and big tires. Have not slept in the cab yet but driving to Kansas in a few weeks and plan to catch some z's at a rest stop so will be trying it out.

16-Oct-18
Tundra's have 4.30 gears in the diffs, thats part of the gas mileage "problem". However, those gears are what bring the torque and are worth the gas mileage. Lots of people complain about the mileage but nobody ever mentions the gears.

16-Oct-18
My crewman gets 14.7 overall. Really shined pulling a boat. Not much lost on mileage. Super power. I can pass at 85 or more real fast towing boat or trailer. Super acceleration.

16-Oct-18
I have a 2012 crewmax...mainly went with that due to having several car seats to deal with. I just rolled over 311k miles and plan to go to 400k, my brother in law works in the parts dept of the local dealer and he says he sees 300k mile trucks every week...I wanted to buy another Ford at some point but with the way this thing has lasted I can't not buy another next time I go for a new truck.

17-Oct-18
Exactly what Ziek said.

• Sitka Gear