spike78 10-May-19
DPowers 23-May-19
DPowers 23-May-19
trophyhill 23-May-19
GLP 23-May-19
DPowers 23-May-19
DPowers 05-Jul-19
11-Oct-18
I am post C3 to C7 cervical fusion. I can shoot, but I cannot aim in traditional form. I just bought a new mission bow that I have shortened the draw length to 23 inches, to shoot with a mouth release. I am at 48 pounds now, but feel i will be able to work up to about 60 pounds. My question is what weight arrow will i need to shoot to be adequate for elk. My current arrows are about 440 grains. Thanks for any input. Dave

11-Oct-18
IMO, you're fine now, if you wait for the right shot. Glad to see you are still at it and prayers your way brother! I wish nothing but success for you!

11-Oct-18
are you shooting a 28 inch plus arrow (440 grains) from the draw length of 23 inch? Just curious or are you planning on shorting them for some reason. Personally I see nothing wrong shooting a longer arrow but some others may have suggestions. my best to you for keeping at it and staying in the game. Paul

11-Oct-18
I took a crossbow this year. Never again.

12-Oct-18
I plan to shoot my current arrows. My thought is that I may need to get a but heavier. Put the arch back in archery.

12-Oct-18
That will do it. Worry about something else brother.

12-Oct-18
If you can get a 450 grain arrow up to an honest 190 FPS, you’ll be in better shape than an awfully high percentage of stickbow shooters. Just make sure it’s flying straight & settled, and pick your shots like a clean kill is your top priority.

13-Oct-18
Thanks for the input guys.

20-Apr-19
After experimenting with several mouth tabs, I came across Jeff Fabry's website and video of his set up. It has worked well for me. Any of you suffering with neck or shoulder issues, it may help you.

20-Apr-19
Can you not draw the bow with your arm now or is this a permanent situation? Just curious.

21-Apr-19
After experimenting with several mouth tabs, I came across Jeff Fabry's website and video of his set up. It has worked well for me. Any of you suffering with neck or shoulder issues, it may help you.

21-Apr-19
I can draw fine with my arms, I just cannot turn my neck enough to sight. With the mouth tab and shorter draw length, I shoot more straight forward. I had to add a 3/8 shim between the rise and my site, to get enough wind age adjustment. Surprisingly, the mouth tab is very easy to hold and shoot.

21-Apr-19
I had a c5/6 fusion in '08, and still have almost constant neck pain of varying degrees. I can't even imagine having to shoot with a mouth tab. The stress on my neck would be unbearable. What is keeping you from sighting? Can you not turn your head?

22-Apr-19
Ziek: Correct, I cannot turn my head. I too have constant discomfort, but it hurts no worse to shoot. Not as bad as not bow hunting, anyway!

22-Apr-19
I've been advised that additional fusions may be in my future. But, the more they fuse, the more the stress is transferred to the next level, and the less mobility you have. I'm putting it off as long as possible. Good luck with the mouth tab.

22-Apr-19
Good on you bud I wish you the bestestist of luck!!!

22-Apr-19
I have an AZ archery elk tag that needs filling. I am gonna give her heck trying!

25-Apr-19
This thread is a prime example of the kind of devotion and passion bowhunters have!

25-Apr-19
Dave, I admire your desire and commitment to finding alternative ways to shoot. However, as a PT who has treated countless pts following cervical fusions, I would be concerned about the shear stresses on your neck when drawing with a mouth tab. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that the same head position could be achieved by shooting fingers, drawing to the front of the chin and shooting with a bit more of an open stance. There is not much left anyone can do for your neck should the fusion break down. Either way, best of luck. Your dedication is impressive!!

25-Apr-19
Lonnie: I have tried your suggestion. I just could not get it to work. I waited a full year to start with mouth tab. My neck does not have any more discomfort than before. Heck with plates, spacers and ten screws, my neck is probably the strongest part if my body. Thank you for the thoughts and concern.

10-May-19
That's a huge risk. Of course, if it is necessary for you to undergo it then it is worth the risk but, if you have few months, i would suggest physical therapy as an alternate for now. You can also opt for epidural steroid injections, and some professional essay writers traction to try to relieve the bulging discs before you do something as irreversible as a fusion? Most of the people I meet at my pain doctors are people who are suffering from their fusions.

10-May-19
Dave you may want to look into a no peep sight. With the sight you don’t have to get your head behind the string as much. You almost aim to the left of the string instead of straight through the peep. Just an idea.

23-May-19
Brad: I was able to get ride of the peep completely. My anchor point (my teeth) is the same every time. I just put my pin on target and release.

23-May-19
Dennis: I had no choice. It was not bulging discs. Due to an earlier staph infection in my spine, I had crazy bone growth, with nerve impingement. Also had bone spurs interfering with swallowing.

23-May-19
Good luck my man! You are, or should be an inspiration to us all!

23-May-19
Way to keep after it! Also would like to hear how the hunt turns out either way.

23-May-19
Will do. Thanks for the encouragement!

05-Jul-19
A hard lesson learned with mouth tab. For some reason after several months of shooting, my mouth tab decided to slide up the string when I was at full draw. Wheel to the forehead, left a blood trail anyone would be proud of. I now have a neck point above, as well as below.

• Sitka Gear