greg simon 14-Oct-18
Huntcell 14-Oct-18
Krafty 14-Oct-18
Linecutter 15-Oct-18
12-Oct-18

Bowriter's embedded Photo
This picture was taken from the stand. She is about 40-yards away.
This picture was taken from the stand. She is about 40-yards away.
I thought, with as many posts as there are on, “Look at my arrow and tell me where I hit???” I might as well post this. Today 10-12-18, we finally had a cool spell. The low when I left the house was 42. From 7:10-7”42, I had deer in various sizes and sexes around me. Unfortunately, the ones I wanted to shoot, stayed out of range.

So, at 7:55, as I was sitting pondering NAFTA and how strong Hercules, actually was, I noticed that a lone doe was head-bobbing away at 28-yards. So I began to concentrate. I figured out, she was not alarmed with me and finally, a feral house cat came walking by.

As the doe concentrated on the cat, I finally got my dang crossbow, (you can quit reading now, if you wish,) and as the cat move out of sight, the doe quickly came 10 more yards in my direction. As she again, turned to watch the cat, I ruined her day. She made two big jumps, ran about 30-yards and fell, grave year dead. Now the mystery. The arrow was sticking in the ground. I could see it from the stand. The doe was dead. I could see her from the stand. I got down and as you can see, the arrow is nearly clean. From the arrow to the dead doe, I found one tiny, pinprick-size, drop of blood. The shot took out the top of the heart and both lungs.

But…how many “experts”, upon examining that arrow and finding no blood trail would call this a non-fatal hit? It was, in fact, perfect and yes, the broadhead opened fully

12-Oct-18
Translation:

"Hey, look at me"

12-Oct-18
Second translation, "Another cloaca."

12-Oct-18
Congratulations, John! That's a trophy white-tail, if I ever saw one! How old do you think she is?

12-Oct-18
What did the arrow smell like? If it smelled “guttish”, i would say it hit the feed tube and the contents kept the arrow from being coated. At least thats what i lean towards thinking when i know the hit was good locationwise but im not seeing a blood-coated arrow like you would expect with a good hit.

12-Oct-18
My guess is probably 4.5. I am wondering why she is dry. I have very few dry does each year and she was not so old she couldn't conceive. Field dressed at 102. Fat as a pig.

But the lesson I was trying to impart is, you cannot always go by what is on the arrow or the lack of a blood trail. BTW- I did have a four-point who came within a few yards of becoming freezer wrapped. This is our first cool morning and deer were really moving. I saw six more, as I was driving out. Sweetie should be cooled out and ready to process. Gots to go to werk, now.

12-Oct-18
So why do YOU think there wasnt ample blood on the bolt....

12-Oct-18
Congrats on the deer- can we get a pic of the entrance and/or exit wounds?

12-Oct-18
Things don't always go by the book when shooting arrows, bolts or bullets.

12-Oct-18
I would personally desist with the arrow conundrum and continue to internally ponder NAFTA, Herculean strength, and how to conjugate the plural of cloaca.

Nice doe. Yum.

12-Oct-18
S&S- I have no idea.

Horn Donkey-I completely agree. And the plural of cloaca is cloacas...of which there are ample. Or, as Bill Snakepear said, "Cloacas enow. I have cloacas enow.

12-Oct-18
The arrow can be both, as in, oh so telling or very misleading. I think my favorite part of hunting is bloodtrailing. Now having watched a doe on opening morning was wild, as she was liver hit, run off stop for a few minutes run off again, go in circles 5 times, run back in the woods and nestle herself into briars before laying down.....animals can be unpredictable when hurt and thus create puzzling blood trails sometimes

12-Oct-18
But back to the great mystery which is: drslyr’s live hunt from oct 6 and the video....could he be a boub’ ound double?

12-Oct-18
Peeeeekabou

12-Oct-18
You "bored" her to death.

12-Oct-18
LOL, I had to look cloaca up.

12-Oct-18
Great...Keith learned something, today. :)

12-Oct-18

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Exit wound. Deer went 20 yards.
Matte's embedded Photo
Exit wound. Deer went 20 yards.
Had a similar experience last week.

12-Oct-18
Didn't Billy Snakepear say a cloaca by any other name would not smell as sweet?

12-Oct-18
I think he was speaking of wine. "A rosay by any other name would still be a bitch to walk through." Something about multi-flora hedges. (You realize we just lost 80% of the followers.)

12-Oct-18
1. If it was a crossbow, it was a bolt not an arrow 2. I would have shot the cat instead of the doe.

12-Oct-18
A bolt is what holds my stand together. As previously stated, "A rose, by any other name is still a blooming idiot." And, probably, you would have missed the cat. I was told you have missed out on a lot of...shall we say, cat, in your life by being so argumentative. :)

12-Oct-18
I have nothing useful to add, but that rarely stops me, so I'll chime in any way. This gets my vote as the most Entertaining thread of the day!

12-Oct-18
A bolt is what holds my stand together. As previously stated, "A rose, by any other name is still a blooming idiot." And, probably, you would have missed the cat. I was told you have missed out on a lot of...shall we say, cat, in your life by being so argumentative. :)

Ha Ha you have no idea of what my capabilities are in either of the above implied topics. So I’ll will just say that is probably the most entertaining post you have ever wrote.

12-Oct-18
All I know is what I was told by your wife and semi-redhead from the WalMart in Winston-Salem.

12-Oct-18
Ok that’s the line! Do not ever start with the wife jokes! I pointed out the bolt/arrow thing and you are the one who got argumentative. And for the record, I’ve never been to Winston-Salem.

12-Oct-18
Oh, another gun thread.

12-Oct-18
“(You can quit reading now, if you wish)”

I did that right after I opened the thread.

12-Oct-18
I’ve had that to happen to me once.No noticeable blood on arrow,watched her fall 25 yards away and not one speck of blood on trail until I was almost stepping on her.....no clue

12-Oct-18
I just want it to be on record that I'd rather read any thread started by the "cloaca" than any thread started by the OP.

12-Oct-18
Kieth...after reading your post, so did I :^)

12-Oct-18
Maybe she pulled the old “cloaca and dagger” trick on ya, John!

12-Oct-18
She eat some sour corn from the feeder?

12-Oct-18
“Cloacae” would be my guess. Not that it’s a piece of equipment that normally comes in multiples.

I see bright red blood on the arrow. I’m following up for as long as I can find a track, because some times they bleed out internally - especially when there’s a lot of fat.

Was the arrow pretty well greased up? Seems like fat would squeegee off the blood, but probably melt some in the process..

13-Oct-18
GF arrow was pretty clean and she was butterball fat. Lot of beans just across the road and with the wet summer, lot of natural browse. All the deer I have seen have been in great shape. White oak just starting to drop and lots of persimmons now falling.

14-Oct-18
Speed and length of the bolt or arrow.

14-Oct-18
In animal anatomy, a cloaca (plural cloacae) is the posterior orifice that serves as the only opening for the digestive, reproductive, and urinary tracts (if present) of many vertebrate animals, opening at the vent. All amphibians, birds, reptiles, and a few mammals (monotremes, tenrecs, golden moles, and marsupial moles) have this orifice, from which they excrete both urine and feces; this is in contrast to most placental mammals, which have two or three separate orifices for evacuation. Excretory openings with analogous purpose in some invertebrates are also sometimes referred to as cloacae.

Mating by cloaca is known as cloacal copulation, mostly referred to as cloacal kiss.

14-Oct-18
Thanks Huntcell. Now I think people have learned something.

14-Oct-18
The word is from the Latin verb cluo, "to cleanse", thus the noun cloaca, "sewer, drain".[5]

14-Oct-18
https://www.crossbownation.com/community/

15-Oct-18
I just think the Bolt with broadhead was so fast going through the deer, that it went between most of the Red Blood Cells, and got past 99.9% any spray from the blood vessels it cut, and got sprayed only lightly on the fletched end as it slightly slowed before exiting the chest, to cause a slight red coloration on it. If it weren't for that you could call it a clean hit. DANNY

• Sitka Gear