DEMO-Bowhunter 19-Dec-18
midwest 19-Dec-18
Nick Muche 19-Dec-18
Dale06 19-Dec-18
Paul@thefort 19-Dec-18
13-Oct-18

cnelk's Link
Pope & Young names new World Record Brown Bear - See link

Whats really cool is my buddy is whitening the skull and I got to hold it a couple weeks ago.

It is effin HUGE!

And yes... that's his pecker zip-tied to the skull :)

13-Oct-18
Here it is next to an 'average' black bear skull

13-Oct-18
Another pic

13-Oct-18
What a noggin ! (although the pecker won't make P&Y) :-) I wonder how old that sucker was ?

13-Oct-18
GOOD LORD!!!!!!!!!

13-Oct-18
That's a big'un.

13-Oct-18
Congrats to the hunter, sounds like a good guy!

13-Oct-18
Wow big skull. What's the reason to keep the pecker?

13-Oct-18
It’s amazing how big a world record really is

13-Oct-18
"What's the reason to keep the pecker?"

Toothpick

13-Oct-18
Huge bear. Why keep the pecker? Still got yours?

13-Oct-18
Pecker Swizzle stick.

Yeah, its giant. When I first saw and held the skull it seemed way too big to be from a bear.

13-Oct-18
It looks like a damn fossil.

13-Oct-18
Huge skull. Congrats to the hunter.

13-Oct-18
Beat the old world record by 1/16th if an inch!

See you all at the Bowsite “Meet & Greet”!

13-Oct-18
He kept the pecker to tickle his fancy

13-Oct-18
Old for sure, that black bear skull looks smaller than average

13-Oct-18
Looks like a T-rex....... must have been old, some pretty worn teeth....some serious jaw structure there.

"Old for sure, that black bear skull looks smaller than average", well yeah.....but you should have seen his...... awww never mind.... some of this is too easy when it's teed up.....

13-Oct-18
So for the record...whoever uses it as a toothpick or swizzlestick....has a penis in his mouth?! LoL Ummm no thanks

13-Oct-18
Whopper... Couldn't be happier for Chris. Ed F

13-Oct-18
Any pics of the actual bear?

13-Oct-18

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

13-Oct-18
Bearzilla

13-Oct-18
Love to hear the story, congrats to the hunter.

13-Oct-18
Amazing animal. That seems like a awkward position for a photo just a face full of bear ass.

13-Oct-18
Double post

13-Oct-18
Looks like the skull of a predator monster. That that makes me think of Harry Carey....

13-Oct-18
Trying not to long arm it by not sitting on the rear end. Seems like a natural photo to me as I prefer seeing that view going away rather that the opposite coming towards me.

13-Oct-18
I thought that P&Y measurements were to the nearest 1/8th of an inch? Is it different for predator skulls?

13-Oct-18
Who takes a pic of a bear like that....got any GOOD pics.

13-Oct-18

13-Oct-18
All skulls are to the nearest 16th of an inch.

13-Oct-18
Impressive

13-Oct-18
Congrats to Cole and the hunter, well done!

14-Oct-18
by the time for Panel Score it may be less ... No? .... 1/16th" sure is 'scary' ..... but it is a Monster Bear & Congrats to the bow hunter and I know some great memories were made on that hunt!

14-Oct-18
It's already been panel scored.

14-Oct-18
So, the bear is huge, obviously. BUT, first the pic of the black bear skull and the record skull is a bit misleading. It needed to be a head on shot, not putting the huge skull in the foreground of the picture to make it look even bigger. Second, the trophy pic is a good ass shot, if you are into those pics. Lastly, never could understand the fascination with the swizzle stick.

14-Oct-18
Yes jake apparently so of if needed to break a tie i guess

14-Oct-18
It’s a world record bear. Biggest noggin ever killed by a bow. They don’t have to play tricks to make it big. Anyone who’s been around a big bear on the ground knows they can be difficult to move/position for photos. One this big would be damn near impossible.

Awesome bear, congrats to the hunter!

14-Oct-18
It is an awesome bear! Congrats to the hunter. Does anyone know his name?

14-Oct-18

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Ties are ties! World Record NT Coues Deer was just tied!

Bowfreak: Here is a copy of the email sent to P&Y Club Members.

14-Oct-18
I just really hate it when someone zip-ties my pecker to my skull.....!

And for you nay-sayers out there, after a few years of bear hunting, I have a tin with somewhere on the order of 4 or 5 dozen bear baculae in it. We use them as swizzle sticks. You just cannot buy the entertainment it provides when someone asks (WHILE stirring their drink...) "What is this anyway?"

Pete

14-Oct-18
Pete - I agree.

Back in the day, I had bear, coyote, fisher and fox pecker sticks in my hat.

The look on people's face is priceless when they ask what they are.

Also, maybe later in the week I'll go take some more pics of the skull. Positioned next to other grizz and black bear so the 'naysayers' can really see the size of the skulls in perspective.

14-Oct-18
cnelk, it's not that we are naysayers. We all know a world record is massive, in fact the biggest ever, but when taking a picture to make it look even bigger is misleading. I don't think you did this intentionally. No one is denying how great of a bear it is. I agree that it looks like a fossil, unbelievably cool.

As for the trophy picture, a bear does not make the record book based on body size, but skull size. So, why not show off the head instead of the rear pads and tail? It looks like there is enough options for some good head shots of the bear, and maybe there is, but just not shared?

14-Oct-18

kscowboy's embedded Photo
kscowboy's embedded Photo
Now that this is out, I guess it’s okay to post. Chris is a great guy and a great taxidermist. He does all our international trophies now at Brush Country Studios. His real talent is building and designing trophy rooms. Cole is a great dude and guide. I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know both these guys over the years and if anyone was wanting to do Kodiak for bear, goats, or blacktail, Cole is a great option.

The other gentleman with them is our favorite Australian turned Canadian, Daniel. He guides for Dustin Roe at Backcountry BC and Beyond. All the guys in the pic are real up-and-comers in the industry and I expect to see more great things from them in the future.

14-Oct-18
That's a beast of a bear!

14-Oct-18
Wow Amazing but I’d hate to be the one packing that wet hide out??!

14-Oct-18
No you wouldn’t Tim.

14-Oct-18
Congrats to the hunter! I don't see any of the pics of the skull that other posters have mentioned?

14-Oct-18
Congrats to the hunter and guide! What a monster!

14-Oct-18
Wow, congratulations!!

And, uhh, a man takes a new world record brown bear with a bow and some want to gritch about the photos? Geez Louise.....

14-Oct-18
Am I missing something here,,, don't see photo of baggies, skulls, zip ties and peckers...

Congrats to hunter...

15-Oct-18
^^^^Thought I was the only one. looks like a giant bear regardless but I don't see any skull photos or peckers, etc.

15-Oct-18
That pic really puts it in perspective. What a giant.

15-Oct-18
I removed them

15-Oct-18
It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

15-Oct-18
Wow that pic with the hide is incredible. Massive beast.

15-Oct-18
Damn!!! Big congrats!

15-Oct-18
LOL @ the guys bitchin' about the pics! smh...

15-Oct-18
Egads! Prehistoric beast... Anyone remember the kids book "Mr. Bear, Squash You All Flat"??? That is what this thing reminds me of. Nightmare material when camping out in that country. Good shooting, shooter must have nads 'o steel.

15-Oct-18
Some Sensitive Sallies here :) Great bear!

16-Oct-18
What a bear!!

16-Oct-18
How does one skin a bear to get the square bottom look like that? I think I know but I'm afraid to try.

16-Oct-18
I don't know either Nick. Scott Mileur says it's a " trick way" to lengthen the square of the hide. If you look, I think you'll see the actual tail and anus are nearly 2 feet higher up on bears cut that way. Regardless, a monster bear any way you skin it!!!!

16-Oct-18
Glad to see Daniel from Backcountry BC and Beyond in on this hunt, he helped Dustin on my mountain goat hunt in ‘16 and was an absolute blast to have in camp. Always talked about how he loved guiding bear hunters.

16-Oct-18
I've read about the technique in one of the P&T brown bear books. I'll say it certainly looks nicer than how the other way looks. I'm sure the respectable guides still only measure the hide to the tail although it could gain a few feet in some cases if measured to the bottom.

16-Oct-18
Hey Nick, have a link to instructions on how to skin a bear square?... Thanks...

16-Oct-18
Nick,

Stop over to the house (pick up your spare copy of the Ethic...) and I will show you a diagram on how to make the opening cuts to square the bottom of the hide!

Pete

16-Oct-18
Nick and Pete,

Could you post the pic? I’d like to do my next bear rug like that and if I ever am able to get a Brown Bear I would like to do that. Looks sharp.

19-Oct-18
a monster!

20-Oct-18
What was the yardage he shot this monster from? Bow model,poundage,let-off,arrow,broadhead? Just wondering...

20-Oct-18

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo

20-Oct-18
Come to the P&Y Convention and see the video of the shot... pucker factor 11... Ed F

20-Oct-18
I always feel bad for the guy who’s now number 2.

20-Oct-18
He’ll be fine Charlie. He had his moment in the sun.

18-Dec-18
in American Hunter it said "Mathews bow and a 650-grain Grizzlystick arrow and a BROADHEAD SYSTEM recommended by guide Cole Kramer "

what's a broadhead system? I found that very curious wording ........... huge monster bear. congrats to the hunter

18-Dec-18
I too feel sorry for the guy that IS NOW # 2 .....

18-Dec-18
Grizzstick, similar to Valkrey (sp) have a Broadhead/footer combo that they call a system...

18-Dec-18
Shrewski - "Nick and Pete, Could you post the pic? I’d like to do my next bear rug like that and if I ever am able to get a Brown Bear I would like to do that. Looks sharp."

Well Shrewski, doesn't look like they're gonna divulge that helpful info to the public...8^(

18-Dec-18

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Shit, I’m sorry!

It’ll look similar to this, red line would be about right for getting the square skin look.

I’ll also post the excerpt from The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men book as it describes it in detail.

18-Dec-18

It’s actually in The Track of the Kodiak. Page 59 & 60. Both books are excellent.

18-Dec-18

18-Dec-18
Thanks for posting that Nick.

18-Dec-18
Thanks Nick!

18-Dec-18

stealtycat: This is an example of a “broadhead system”.

The insert tube goes inside the shaft and the steel footing over both the shaft and the insert. Gives added weight upfront and makes the arrow a lot stronger.

18-Dec-18
Here I thought Rowdy Dowdy held the record........ heheheh.....

18-Dec-18
i make the same cut on furbearers that I trap to get extra length without overstretching.

18-Dec-18
I see - so it has noting to do with the broadhead but rather the weighted FOC/insert So ... what kind of broadhead? Just curious ... a single bevel I assume like a Maasai or Samurai ?

19-Dec-18
Nick, Thanks for sharing those references. Realwarrior, Got any photos?

19-Dec-18
"stealth; Whatever broadhead you like. "

Puckett's Bloodtrailer :)

19-Dec-18
stealthy, Cole recommends the 200 grain Maasai on the front of GrizzlyStik arrows with a 650 grain total weight.

19-Dec-18
REALWARRIOR, I did the same with my muskrats.

19-Dec-18
Any arrow/broadhead combination that puts you in the 420-500 grain range will more than suffice for brown/grizzly bear. I'd want something flat shooting out to 45-55 yards. The heavier the arrow, the less room for error in arrow flight beyond 25 yards, etc. Just my thoughts!

19-Dec-18
Awesome bear. I arrowed a brownie this past June. It looks like a cub compared to this one b

19-Dec-18
Congrats all around. Great bear and I will want to see the kill video at PY in April.

• Sitka Gear