smarba 19-Oct-18
smarba 19-Oct-18
tobinsghost 19-Oct-18
drycreek 19-Oct-18
cnelk 19-Oct-18
Bou'bound 20-Oct-18
TD 20-Oct-18
14-Oct-18
How does one make a swizzle stick? I have one in the freezer and it is a winter project, so help me out. Thx!

14-Oct-18
Its a bone. Finish it just like you'd do a euro

14-Oct-18
Ok, so should you whiten it as well or just leave it au natural?

14-Oct-18
Dont boil it - I learned that the hard way. It will fall apart.

14-Oct-18
Leave it 'all natural'

And yes, dont boil it, just like dont boil skulls.

14-Oct-18

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
Buy some Soda Ash, commonly called Sal Soda, is used to dissolve meat, fat and grease when simmering skulls and antler plates. Simply add Soda Ash to simmering water and immerse the skull or antler plate or swizzle sticks

14-Oct-18
I’m confused. WHY?! Lol

14-Oct-18
Thx guys! Why??? Cuz it is an interesting conversational piece and I got a good buddy who will freak when I tell him what is in his drink!

14-Oct-18
Had a co-worker who thought he was the Great White Hunter, when he rifle shot a poor old bear, from a tree stand I had showed him.

Put the bone in his Pony Tail and came to work...lasted exactly one Day, after the chants of "D**kHead" rang out through the Office.

14-Oct-18
That there is funny! ^^^^^

14-Oct-18
That’s what he gets for having a pony tail!

14-Oct-18
And using a rifle ! What a Richard lol

14-Oct-18
"And using a rifle ! What a Richard lol"

Even funnier...his name was actually Richard!

One of the gals in the Office used to call him "Ricky Retardo" !

14-Oct-18
Woah !! I'm right here. Easy with the Richard cracks. Can't we just pick on the Peters for a while? Maybe the Johnsons?

You want a conversation starter? Swizzle someone's drink with your own Peter or Johnson. Leave me out of it.

14-Oct-18
Too funny and yes, I'm a Richard as well. I don't believe I'd have too many friends if I used my own swizzle stick! Funny tho.

I wonder if you could buy some already made swizzle sticks? Maybe have like a variety from different animals.

14-Oct-18
See... there's a bunch of Richards around here. Can't hardly move without stepping on one.

I would imagine that it would be illegal to attempt to buy a bunch of Peters. You may be able to find some guys who'd be willing to slip 'em to you for free, but then you'd be a different kind of swinging Richard.

LOL

I think I've run the course on this line of humor.

Apologies Pete.

14-Oct-18
Too funny! I was taught at a young age to run from free peters, especially in a kidnapper van!

14-Oct-18
Rick, you are a witty guy. I like that.

15-Oct-18
Once seen a pic of a Sperm Whale's...8^))) True though...

15-Oct-18
If you salted em pre-swizle...... would that be salt peter?

15-Oct-18
Just dont rub them

15-Oct-18
coons have a J type,better for stiring

15-Oct-18
I still laugh out loud every time I remember mentioning to Mrs. Brotsky that this was a thing when she shot her bear. The look of horror on her face was priceless!

16-Oct-18
Do people keep them from deer or elk?

16-Oct-18

16-Oct-18
"Do people keep them from deer or elk?"

Don't think so, think its just certain species of predators... Know raccoons and just learned bears by this thread, but makes sense, since they are related... The whale families, I think canines and pretty sure primates, but don't hold me to that...8^)

16-Oct-18
A question for all you Richards, How did your mother know?

16-Oct-18
Don'tchoo be talkin' 'bout my momma !!!!

You might think you're Joshin', but I can tell you that you don't want to see this Rick all red and angry.

Dang Jenson !! That's Jens(ON) not Jens(EN). I assume with the ON instead of EN that you're a good Swedish guy normally and this whole momma besmirching has to do with your exposure to those EN Norwegians up there. Don't emulate those swizzle sticks.

16-Oct-18
It’s all Norwegian.... well as pure as a Norwegian can be with all that raping and pillaging and all.

Interestingly enough spelling apparently isn’t a Norwegian strong suit and my grandpa and his brothers split evenly on the “on” “en” argument.

16-Oct-18
Grubby, she knew my Dad! JK, dad is a bit cantekorous tho!

16-Oct-18
My wife's family has a Norwegian who's family went ON to try to "pass".

We still give him coffee during the holidays and try to smile when he teases the Finns in the family.

It's all in good fun though. It's not like we're a bag of swizzling Peters.

But, since you're in MN, you should PM me your best Sven, Ole and Lena jokes. Christmas is coming. If everyone is laughing, they're less likely to notice the Norwegian slurping his coffee and he won't have to be embarrassed.

16-Oct-18
If you salted em pre-swizle...... would that be salt peter?

Just don't let it blow up in your face!

18-Oct-18
I remember 'back when' a guy at a "Fur Store" had a barrel full of (I think) Walrus ones that were 'petrified' ...... this was in Anchorage, Alaska ..... back then he sold them for about $100.00 and up depending on size and weight. 3 & 4+ feet long 'jobber dooos' ......Memory Fails me now on what they were actually called ..... 'native word' anyway ...... most were the size of a hefty baseball bat! ...... some Alaskan's could chime in here and tell us all about them! A real Man Cave needs at least one of these on display!

"USICK" is the native name ..... you can GOOGLE it ...... some 'artist' carve on these petrified 'Ivory like' jobber dooos ....

18-Oct-18
I used to trap a lot of mink. Trappers saved those for tooth picks.

18-Oct-18
Not me.

18-Oct-18
Ive heard that size matters but I don't believe it

18-Oct-18
What's with all the phallic infatuation???!!! ;-)

18-Oct-18

TD's Link
I've heard of the coon prick tooth pick. And walking sticks/canes made of bull pricks. (the one at the link looks particularly awesome....) I don't swizzle much so I guess bears are out for me.....

Told Coach all about this thread and how I remember all kinds of things made with them. She said that was about the most disgusting thing she had ever heard.

Now I gotta have one.......

18-Oct-18
Hmmm... Well, if bulls have them maybe deer do too? Thought only predator species had them, but seems that ain't so...

18-Oct-18
Who wants to be a bull now?

19-Oct-18
the bulls don't have a baculum , its the whole pecker stretched out and dried.

19-Oct-18
Thanks grubby for the scientific name, didn't know what to google...8^)

19-Oct-18

Zbone's Link
Here ya go...8^)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum

"The baculum (also penis bone, penile bone, or os penis, or os priapi[1]) is a bone found in the penis of many placental mammals. It is absent in the human penis, but present in the penises of other primates, such as the gorilla and chimpanzee.[2][3] The bone is located above the male urethra,[4] and it aids sexual reproduction by maintaining sufficient stiffness during sexual penetration. The homologue to the baculum in female mammals is known as the baubellum or os clitoridis – a bone in the clitoris.[5][6][7]

Etymology The word baculum meant "stick" or "staff" in Latin and originated from Greek: ??????, baklon "stick".[8]

Function The baculum is used for copulation and varies in size and shape by species. Its evolution may be influenced by sexual selection, and its characteristics are sometimes used to differentiate between similar species.[9] A bone in the penis allows a male to mate for a long time with a female,[10][11] which can be a distinct advantage in some mating strategies.[12][13] The length of the baculum may be related to the duration of copulation in some species.[14][15] In carnivorans and primates, the length of the baculum appears to be influenced by postcopulatory sexual selection.[16] In some Chiroptera species, the baculum can also protect the urethra from compression.[17]

Presence in mammals

A raccoon baculum Mammals having a penile bone (in males) and a clitoral bone (in females) include various eutherians:

Order Primates, although not in humans, spider monkeys, or woolly monkeys[18] Order Rodentia (rodents),[19] though not in the related order Lagomorpha (rabbits, hares, etc.)[20] Order Eulipotyphla[21] (insectivores, including shrews and hedgehogs) Order Carnivora[22] (including members of many well-known families, such as ursids (bears),[23], canids (dogs),[24] pinnipeds (walruses, seals, sea lions),[4] procyonids (raccoons etc.),[25] mustelids (otters, weasels, skunks and others).[26] The baculum is usually longer in the Canoidea than in the Feloidea, although fossas have long bacula and giant pandas have short bacula.[22] Order Chiroptera (bats).[27][28][29] It is absent in humans, ungulates (hoofed mammals),[30] elephants, monotremes (platypus, echidna),[citation needed] marsupials,[31] lagomorphs,[20] hyenas,[32] sirenians,[4] and cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises),[4] among others."

19-Oct-18
For walrus the native name is oosik. I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to save and display them. What's next tanned elk udders as hats?!

19-Oct-18

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
I guess I spoke too soon after doing a quick google search...

19-Oct-18
Tanned elk udder hat? Jaquomo probably has one of those.

19-Oct-18
I did not know we had this many pecker experts around here. Learn something new everyday............

19-Oct-18
Tonight's date night. My gf knows how to make my 'Swizzle stick'

20-Oct-18
I agree. The real question is not how but why

20-Oct-18
That's a good question, no doubt.

But I've always preferred "why not?"

• Sitka Gear