Rut Nut 16-Oct-18
GotBowAz 16-Oct-18
Brotsky 16-Oct-18
14-Oct-18

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
These guys are super lucky.

Man oh man lucky.

14-Oct-18
wow! So lucky!!! They could both be dead or seriously disabled!!!

Praise God for the small miracles and the Really Huge Ones!!!

14-Oct-18
They were both prepared and lucky. Survival requires both.

14-Oct-18
Dang lucky fellows, the Livingston ER should be fully equipped to deal with grizz attacks as many as they have to treat. Choose your hunting partner wisely.

14-Oct-18
Hope I never end up in that situation. Sounds like bear spray nor a side arm would have helped the hunter as it happened so fast. Lucky his partner stayed and sprayed.

14-Oct-18
Sounds like a solid hunting partner there!

14-Oct-18
If your hunting partner shows up with gym shoes on be prepared, things could get hairy.

14-Oct-18
Yep. Its what a hunting partner should do. Good on both of them.

14-Oct-18
Great job keeping their heads and working together to minimize the damage! Bet he's damn glad his buddy stood his ground and was able to get a shot of bear spray on target!

14-Oct-18
Couple people that kept their wits in a bad situation, Good luck and hope you get back out there soon.

14-Oct-18
Sounds like the right guy got bit and the right guy used the pepper spray. Insult to injury right there but spraying himself!

14-Oct-18
Wow. I presume he was hunting down near the YP border? I hunted the Crazies there in 2015 but did hunt a few days down in Livingston at the corner of I-90 and 89 about 30 miles N of YP. No firearm or spray or preparation on my part ... feeling kind of dumb now.

14-Oct-18
Man, these attacks are happening almost weekly now...

Best of luck to hunter...

14-Oct-18
Damn, too much already. This many attacks would have to make anyone think twice about hunting there. The surprise factor might be hard to overcome.

14-Oct-18
Can anyone post a url that I can get to read it? I don't do facebook and it won't let me view the article, I do get a flash of a picture.

14-Oct-18
Doesn’t bear Have a nozzle that is fool proof? Sounds like it had a regular aerosol nozzle which would be crap in an emergency. Spraying yourself like what happened would be the ultimate insult. Your only salvation after spraying yourself is hoping the bear doesn’t like Spicy food. Judges that block hunting these bears need to be replaced. Vote Vote Vote!

14-Oct-18

marktm250's embedded Photo
marktm250's embedded Photo
Here is the text from the post ... "Before rumors spread and things get blown severely out of proportion this morning I was mauled by a Grizzly Bear bow hunting in Montana. Due to the closeness (12 yards) I did not have time to react besides getting into a defensive mode/stance, My hunting partner Greg Gibson and I surprised a Sow grizzly and her cub as we were moving in on some Elk. We walked up to with in 12 yards when we all saw each other And before I could even reach for my bear spray she was at full charge. I was able to get my arm up to someone at protect my face when she knocked me over, Greg was only a few steps behind me and he was able to get his bear spray out and give one shot to the bear which stopped her and she reared up and came towards him, he was able to give her one more blast where she and her cub retreated. Readying myself for another attack I was able to get my bear spray out of the holster and unfortunately during all the chaos sprayed my self. My arm is broken in two spots where she grabbed on with her mouth and I have a nice couple of scratches on my face where she got me with her claws. We were able to make it to Livingston to the ER room. Because of the bear bite and fractured bones they were afraid of infection so they put me in an ambulance and sent me to Bozeman where they needed to do surgery to clean out the wound. I will be here until Monday as they want the wound to drain lessening the cause of any sort of infection. Just received an updated tetanus shot and started a series of rabies shots. Huge shout out for my hunting partner Greg has his quick response was able to minimize the damage and severity of this attack. All in all I am in good shape.My arm is screwed up a little and sore and the vision is good, I will be fine. Huge shout out to the Livingston ER room and the Bozeman hospital and surgeons, nurses, etc. In a few days I’ll give you a little bit more of a update."

14-Oct-18
Man, is he lucky that his eye was undamaged!

Best imaginable outcome, under the circumstances. #Teamwork

14-Oct-18
Paradise valley is covered up in grizzly. We’ve gone down to Tom miner to glass and seen up to 7 at a time in one night. It’s out of control. They are literally down in the ag fields.

14-Oct-18
GJ guys.

15-Oct-18
Guys, have hunted Livingston area for a while now without any bear issues. We hunt within probably 5 miles south to 20 miles west of town and then north. The local forest services will tell you not much griz activity until you get down near the park. Am I kidding myself?

15-Oct-18
Good to hear that spray worked........

Congrats to a quick thinking Huntin buddy.

15-Oct-18
Wow can’t show the wife, I just got back from 8 day moose hunt in same area. Paradise valley was the east boundrary of the unit . I had bear spice strapped to my chest 100% of the time. I was suprised by all the hikers and bikers on the trials without bear spray or not readily accessible, even elk bowhunters were not to concerned about possibilities of an encounter.

16-Oct-18
These guys, according to today's Bozeman Chronicle story, were hunting in the Beattie Gulch area north of Gardiner. This area is WELL known by locals as an area with lots of bears (and elk) and is an area that has had lots of bear/bowhunter run-ins over the years. Lots. There are fruit trees in the flats there that the bears feed at night.

These hunters did several things right (IMO), and that is they were hunting with a partner and they BOTH carried spray. AND they had the spray accessible and knew how to use them.

When I lived nearby I purposely never hunted that area because if it's history. Call me a scardy-cat, but I also always carry a second canister of spray (for the trip out when you've already deployed your primary canister), and I carry the primary canister in a spot that I could get to when lying on my stomach. And yeah, I also would carry an Air-Life S&W 44.

16-Oct-18
Wow, all those years in the 70s/80s/90s that I spent shedding, hiking and hunting in all those same areas, and never saw one griz. I saw sign though. I lived in Jardine and a griz came into town once but I didn't see it. Eagle Creek, Deckard flats, all those areas, are probably now infested with bears. Above CUT, Electric Peak, probably bear infested. I was in Glacier a few weeks ago and saw two right off the road. Both big boars. A first for me, never saw griz before that. I always packed though, and had spray very readily available.

16-Oct-18
Sounds like he chose a good hunting buddy. Some would simply run in that situation....

16-Oct-18
"Greg was only a few steps behind me and he was able to get his bear spray out and give one shot to the bear which stopped her and she reared up and came towards him, he was able to give her one more blast where she and her cub retreated."

Well, I'm thinking if I am only a few steps behind my buddy who is being charged by a grizzly my next action is probably more out of self-preservation than it is attempting to be a hero! ;-)

16-Oct-18
Rut Nut, exactly what I was thinking too.

16-Oct-18
Rut Nut, my first reaction would probably be to defecate in my drawers in that situation! Hopefully after that I would either be able to deploy my spray or firearm in quick fashion to help my buddy.

• Sitka Gear