cubdrvr 17-Oct-18
Whocares 17-Oct-18
goelk 18-Oct-18
Surfbow 18-Oct-18
Owl 18-Oct-18
ahunter55 18-Oct-18
Bou'bound 18-Oct-18
16-Oct-18
Amazing story. Make me think about my first aid kit. Do i have enough supplies? After hearing there story i went check my first aid kit and added a few things more items.

16-Oct-18
Since we use knives and other sharp objects alot while in the wilderness a kit that may be helpful is called a blood stop kit and are sold for treatment during active shooter events.the contain a tourniquet and some bandages.In my kit I would have a tourniquet in case you have to stop blood flow while trying to get out.Several trauma bandages and duck tape,super glue are all good things to add

16-Oct-18
My little lady is a nurse. My first aid kit/trauma kit for the backcountry is stocked! Ha!

16-Oct-18
Kifarucast podcast episode #108, South Cox talks about jamming the broadhead from his "just killed" muley into the back of his foot, just missing his achilles on a backcountry hunt in Colorado.

16-Oct-18
I came close once, skewered the back of my pantleg next to my calf, when I went down hard down in a muddy craphole, before daylight.

That was before buying a TightSpot...much less chance of that happening again these days.

16-Oct-18
A friend of mine fell out of his tree and rammed a broad head through the back of his knee. He was about a mile from anywhere. Had to push the arrow thru, then unscrew the BH, pull the arrow out and then walk a mile back to his truck. Drove himself to the hospital...None the worse for wear today. That happened back in the late 70's early 80's...he was in his late teens or early 20's...

16-Oct-18
I like the blood stop kit. Have to check that out. Thru the heel and behind the knee too. Holy Moly

16-Oct-18
My wife is a dr. and makes me carry clotting agent, steri-strips, unopened super glue, duct tape, and my belt would be a great tourniquet, you just ought to be familiar with the first-aid techniques to use one.

16-Oct-18
I carry a first aid kit with me for my dogs when I am bird hunting. Nothing worst than a dog with an ear cut - blood flying every where. I should carry it with me bowhunting also. Thanks for the post.

16-Oct-18
Along with normal first aid items ( band aids, ace bandage, gause, med tape) I've included sanitary napkins, yes that's right menstrual pads.. they are great for stopping blood. And duct tape cannot forget duct tape

16-Oct-18
Duct tape works much better with gauze on the wound and the tape over the gauze. One gem I always keep with me is a sterile disposable skin stapler. It has 25 staples in it and can close a wound a foot long or a big bleeding vein/artery.

16-Oct-18
Ok, where do I get a clotting bandage (walgreens did not have them) and a stapler?

17-Oct-18

Scrappy's Link
Here you go Glunker. This is what I have.

17-Oct-18
I just spent $42 on Amazon to modify my first aide kit.

17-Oct-18
Dad told me a story about a guy he used to elk hunt with in MT who cut his leg with a broadhead and nearly bled out. Drove himself many miles to the nearest farmstead and passed out on their front step from blood loss. Nearly died. Lucky they were home and got him to the hospital.

17-Oct-18
I'd rather have it, the first aid kit, and not need it than need it an not have it. My hunting buddies always know that I'm the guy to holler for is something goes bad as i have the stuff that you need in an emergency. It doesn't weigh that much, and could save my, or another persons, life.

I always carry cough drops,Sudafed and Tylenol just in case too.

TMBB

17-Oct-18
“My belt would be a great tourniquet”.

Anyone who thinks they can use a makeshift tourniquet (belt, rope, etc..) in a real emergency is fooling themselves, especially if you are alone.

Go buy a CAT or similar professional tourniquet. They are cheap, effective, and easy to use.

17-Oct-18
Walking in house with broadheads,bumped a wall,Arrows pointed toward me.Speared right thru shirt at chest level missed me ruined shirt.Oh so close.Nighty Night Termite!

17-Oct-18

cubdrvr's Link

17-Oct-18

18-Oct-18
Just order a CAT. Thanks md5252. Watch a video and awesome first aid equipment to have for sure, why i never though of this before.

18-Oct-18
"Anyone who thinks they can use a makeshift tourniquet (belt, rope, etc..) in a real emergency is fooling themselves, especially if you are alone."

A little training goes a long way, I'm shocked at the number of hunters (and fishermen) i've talked to who have zero first aid training...

18-Oct-18
x3 on the CAT

18-Oct-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I was a Navy Corpsman for 5 years & 2 years with the Marines (I was lucky, I went to Navy & Marine Boot camps). Oh, My wife is a Nurse of many years too. Today, there are so many great already first aid kits a person can buy & then add those other items you feel you need. In case you need it or someone with you needs to assist this is the most difficult. Use common sense, DON'T freak out, panic as this is the one that will kill you. Please do yourself a favor & understand/learn the basics of accessing a situation first & what should be treated 1st. In most cases, blood loss & then shock are the two that does an injured person in, in the wilderness. If you break a leg & are solo, your guardian angel better have a sat phone. If you can stay calm, you will be amazed at how you can improvise when need be.. Regardless of how safe we try to be, if you spend much time in rugged country, something will happen.

18-Oct-18
I have two known instances of someone dropping an arrow out of the stand and skewing themselves when they climbed down after forgetting it was down there, nock end in the ground, head end pointing up, and they lowered themselves into it. If you drop an arrow, even if it's lying flat below you. Get it.

• Sitka Gear