smarba 16-Oct-18
Mertyman 16-Oct-18
Fields 16-Oct-18
IdyllwildArcher 16-Oct-18
LKH 16-Oct-18
Franklin 16-Oct-18
altitude sick 17-Oct-18
16-Oct-18
I am closing on the sale of my home on Monday and downsizing into an apartment and have a dilemma. I am not worried about the antler and euro mounts but the others are of concern. I live in Northern MN FYI. Here are my options:

1. I have a new 30 x 40 metal building at my cabin/home in the country 12 ft ceiling, it is fully insulated and I installed propane heat but intend to heat it only when I use it. I had the builder put extra boards between the posts in one corner thinking I was going to finish off a utility room for working on guns etc. The room was never finished. I also moved my gun safes into the garage this week. Temperature change and bugs are my concern here. Mice have also infiltrated the building but I don't think they'll climb a bare metal wall to reach a mount.

2. My buddy has a back room at his office that is not being used. It would be fine, except there's the potential for a leaky roof, or whatever else is out of my control.

I've got 2 caribou mounts, 2 turkey fans, Whitetail mount, antelope mount, 2 ducks, 2 grouse, 2 ptarmigan, bear rug, a fish and numerous euro mounts. My cabin/house is small and already full of taxidermy unless I cram everything in. My intention is to build an addition of 2 bedrooms on that place in the next year or two so I'd have a den with my mounts.

I'm concerned about putting the mounts in the garage due to the temperature changes, bugs, and dust/dirt flying around every time I sweep the floor. I think the mounts would be a mess in short order if they weren't in a separated room.

What do you folks think?

16-Oct-18
When I was selling my home and moving states, I rented a climate controlled storage unit. They kept the facility clean and it wasn't exposed to a lot of temperature changes. I also set-off bug bombs every 3 months or so, just in case there were any concerns with bugs getting into the mounts. I never had a problem.

16-Oct-18
When do you think you will have a home where you will display the mounts

16-Oct-18
I'd put them on the wall of my apartment.

16-Oct-18
I will have the addition done either next summer/fall 2019 or the following. So Fall 2020 I suppose at the latest.

Apartment is not an option. My 16 y.o. daughter lives with me 1/2 time and she already said she didn't want mounts there since the other house is already full. I'm honoring her wishes since it's her home too, I want her to make it desireable that she'll stay with me instead of her mother a mile away.

It's pretty much option 1 or 2 above.

16-Oct-18
Any outdoor stores near? Some stores allow people to hang their mounts in the store for people to look at.

16-Oct-18
I have a deer mount of my dad's at the local Sportmans Warehouse. Been there for years. You just sign a form and they hang it up.

16-Oct-18
The nearest store would be a Gander Outdoors and Fleet Farm in Duluth about an hour away. Hadn't thought of that idea, not sure if I like it or not. It'd be a temporary thing, not sure if they'd want them. With Gander Mtn going bankrupt and watching stores come and go, I'm a little leery of losing my mounts.

16-Oct-18
Did you have them done with one taxidermist? They may agree to store them in their showroom for a short period of time.

We occasionally store mounts for our clients that are in similar situations.

16-Oct-18
Yes Keith however, it's a one-man show that works out of his basement. He begged me to pick up the caribou ASAP because they take up so much room.

I really was hoping for more insight on option number 1. LOL

Keep 'em coming guys :-)

16-Oct-18
I don't think temp changes are a huge concern, perhaps someone has better knowledge on this issue. If I were hanging them in a semi-unfinished space I'd seal them in big plastic bags, maybe with some mount preservative spray to ensure no bugs get into them. You have a REAL risk of dermestid beetles or moths or similar getting into them anytime they are in a garage or non-sealed living space.

16-Oct-18
Why do you think there would be a leaky roof on option #2? Has there already been a leak or just speculation?

If your only options are #1 or #2 above, I'd pick #2 and flip your buddy a few bucks to have him keep an eye on things. I'd rather have them sitting in a totally climate controlled building than in metal pole shed.

16-Oct-18
We've had mounted deer at our cabin for years. Only time its stays heated is when we are there. I don't think I've noticed any damage due to cold conditions. The leaky roof option would be totally out...

16-Oct-18
Got with option 2 and just put contractor bags over them.

16-Oct-18
When you decide, get some Tempo and spray the surrounding surfaces and the bases of your mounts every few months. Anything that touches the surfaces will be dead in a few hours. Lasts for months.

16-Oct-18
Personally I would crate them....I build 4'x4'x4' crates with plywood or osb with 2x2s in the corners....build the box hang your mounts then throw moth balls in then screw the box shut. I even caulk the corners. You can build them and even stack them so they don`t take up a lot of room. Then put them in your steel building.

Absolutely safe and no maintenance needed.

17-Oct-18
Help your friend patch the leaks and spray the mounts with pesticide.

• Sitka Gear