Brotsky 18-Oct-18
olebuck 18-Oct-18
Timbrhuntr 18-Oct-18
jdee 18-Oct-18
eddie c 18-Oct-18
Franklin 18-Oct-18
Timbrhuntr 18-Oct-18
17-Oct-18
So generally if I take a deer to be shoulder mounted to a taxidermist, i just it off at the base of the neck. Now since they have found CWD in MS - we cannot bring any brain matter or head from deer back across state lines. I have a few trips planned coming up - Iowa, and MO, and and preparing myself to be ready to fully cape a deer.

i bought some scapels, and i have a head in the freezer that i am going to practice on before i lean.

any tips?

17-Oct-18
Go slow. Use a flat head screwdriver ( a big one) to pry (instead of cut) the skin away from the base of the antlers.

The screwdriver tip was shown to me by a taxidermist. It is REALLY helpful

17-Oct-18
Be careful around tear ducts,usually easier to stick finger in eyelid and lift up while cutting around eye.I like to hang by hind legs and around body 8 inches behind shoulder then start right in center of neck a couple inches back from antler bases and cut straight up neck to cut around body.Then start at front leg knee and cut up back of leg to cut around body.Then just remove skin,cut lips from inside mouth.Watch utube vid

17-Oct-18
A bunch of YouTube videos on subject will get you headed in the right direction.

17-Oct-18
i've heard one taxidermist tell a client that he would show him how he would like it to be done to minimize as many issues as possible. maybe ask your taxidermist for instructions?

17-Oct-18
As was already stated stick your finger into the eye as you pull and cut the skin away so that you do not cut the eye lips off and just keep working slowly down the face cutting close to the bone.

Was also going to mention the screwdriver but it has already been mentioned. Make the initial cut starting at antler base and angle it back to the center back of head where you cut down the back of the neck starts (the cuts from both antlers to the neck cut should look like a "Y". Then start skinning around antler base in both direction, then stick screwdriver with blade flat against the bone near the antler base, while holding it there I pound on it with the palm of my other hand to drive it in then pry it up to pull the skin loose from the antler. This is a huge time and effort saver once you get the hang of it.

Once you get past the eyes then flip the head so that the nose is pointing straight up, then pull the lop back and start cutting around the base of the teeth (does not have to be right at the base of the teeth) and skin away from bone. I usually do the bottom jaw first as it gives me more freedom of movement when working on the upper lip.

17-Oct-18
Awesome tips guys, please keep them coming! This is one skill I really need to get better at.

17-Oct-18
My taxidermist allowed me to help him cape his deer heads. I sat along side him and when I got to a point that I needed help , he would do it and I would watch. One or two heads in... I was flying solo. I was getting invaluable experience and he was getting some much needed help. There must have been 20 deer that needed caping.

17-Oct-18
Will your taxidermist in Mississippi not accept it from you with the skull in

17-Oct-18
Great thread, this has been on my mind too. My out of state spot is 2 hrs from my home state and am looking at a local taxi to use as backup. For you guys that cape out, do you take any neck girth measurements prior or can taxi take that from a skinned cape.

17-Oct-18
Also, get a havalon. They make it easy to get down into and under ducts, lips etc. That tiny pliable sharp blade is a wonder for that stuff.

17-Oct-18
Bou'bound, MS and TN have restrictions bringing any deer into the state from another state that has CWD. Boned meat is fine but skulls and antlers have to be cleaned.

17-Oct-18
another stupid state rule, welcome to the state of Wis,where they did not worry about this for the last 16 years, now its a big deal...... I have done a lot of caping, talk to your taxidermist, and also taxidermy class

17-Oct-18
Practice on every deer you get as well as everyone else’s. The cape has value by itself too.

Euro mounts are cheap, diy from start to finish and look pretty cool too.

18-Oct-18
The first place to start is the mouth....cut the lips almost at the teeth/gumline….cut the nose close to the skull and work your way up the face as far as you can. You can see everything you are doing from the angle. Make your "Y" or "7" cut between the antler burrs in the back....use the screwdriver as mentioned above as it cut all the skin to the bottom of the burr. Next cut your ears as close to the skull as you can....you should see a small "ear canal" tube the size of a fat pencil if done correctly. Taxi`s that use bondo are pretty paticular about leaving as much ear canal as possible....guys that use ear liners not so much. When you get to the eyes you will feel the eye orbit bone....cut very closely to the bone and pull the eye lid away as you go....don`t be afraid to take alot of inner eye skin with it as it can always be trimmed. Keep in mind the orbital gland in front of each eye....it`s a crevice in the bone and the skin goes down i to it. You can pry the skin out with the screwdriver or carefully slice it free from the bone. Once your done there you are almost to the spot you stopped when coming from the mouth side. Cut until you hit the already freed up skin and you`re done.

Once you do a few you find that it really is easy.....just remember....when in doubt leave more skin or meat on the hide. You can always take it off but you can`t grow it back on. Also don`t freak out about a cut or 2.....we sew these holes and cuts up all the time and you will never see them.

18-Oct-18
Do they have check stations at the state line to check for head in deer capes? Is going state to state like crossing the Canadian boarder?

18-Oct-18
You don't always have to worry about your own state either. I believe Kansas doesn't allow brain or spinal matter from elk/deer into their state either. So as I have to pretty much cross Kansas on most of my western trips, I take care when coming back to be legal in Kansas.

They may not have check stations, but all it takes is one CO to see you as a hunter and stop you, and there goes your trophy

18-Oct-18
Start well behind the shoulder. That part is fast so it only takes 2 seconds to give him more Cape to work with. Leaves options open as well for things like wall pedestal etc

18-Oct-18

Surfbow's Link

18-Oct-18
Bou, all it would take is a game check anywhere along your route of travel through those states. I'm sure the laws are also written in such a way that they only apply to animals being brought to a domicile in those states and not just animals passing through the state in route to a domicile somewhere else.

18-Oct-18
thanks guys. my scapel set comes into today. plan on getting an 8 point i killed on 10/4 out of the freezer and fully caping it out.

18-Oct-18
I live in Canada and travel alot so this has been a concern. I usually checked the area for a local Taxidermist to take the animal to. I figure if its worth getting mounted its worth getting it done right. If you would normally take the whole head into your taxidermist why would you now do it yourself ? I have paid 75 dollars to get one cleaned and had it done for free at other shops. Also it seems to holds alot of clout at the border if you tell them it was done by a professional who cleaned it properly and is knowledgeable in CWD . So far knock on wood haven't had a problem.

18-Oct-18
It’s a lot easier to skin and cape a critter when it’s still warm. You will have to let your deer thaw out good ole buck . I see guys every year bring gutted deer to the taxi to let him skin and cape it. Sometimes he will have 10 or more deer hanging waiting to skin them . He even hires a kid just to help skin. Good luck olebick !!

18-Oct-18
https://www.tn.gov/twra/hunting/cwd.html if you're interested, here is the info TN wildlife dept has released. i've never seen a check station coming in or going out of the state. mostly honor system. but where one would get caught is at the taxidermist. they have to have a record of all the animals dropped off and they get visited from the officers on a regular basis.

18-Oct-18
There is absolutely no difference in a cape done by a hunter or a taxidermist. A caped deer is a caped deer. The advantage a taxidermist or a tanner has is the ability to turn and flesh the lips, nose, ears and eyes in less time than the average joe. I do hundreds of deer....bear....paws etc. a year. It`s not rocket science and it doesn`t make a big difference. The tanner shaves it all the same....whether it has more flesh on it or not.

18-Oct-18
Oh ya have you ever seen some of the deer some hunters drop off at a Butcher some are just brutal. I believe customs looks at it like this too . If you say a trained taxidermist who does many deer did it especially the skull cap it gives them a better feel than if Joe hunter did it just my experience though .

• Sitka Gear