David Geyer 18-Oct-18
Scrappy 18-Oct-18
David Geyer 18-Oct-18
Bowmania 18-Oct-18
LBshooter 18-Oct-18
Aces11 18-Oct-18
No Mercy 19-Oct-18
17-Oct-18
Finally got a stand in a spot I've been eyeing for years that should set up well for a buck decoy so I'm going to pick one up.

I want a full 3D decoy. I'm looking at the Primos and the Flambeau right now. I will only need to carry it about 1/2 mile max across mainly open fields so ease of use/realism is more important then weight.

Any thoughts on which one of these is the better choice? Is there a different brand I should be looking at? Thanks!

17-Oct-18
Dave Smith decoy. Most realistic made! Good luck!!!

17-Oct-18
I have the older Harry Primos decoy and like the movement of the head with the wind. The movement helps. I also have an older Carry Lite and bucks would come in but move off quicker with no movement than they do with the Primos.

18-Oct-18
Just saw the "Dave Smith decoy" for $700....no thanks. Unless it shoots the deer when it comes in...lol

18-Oct-18
I have the Flambeau Boss buck and it looks very real. I also just bought the Primos Scar. For the boss buck it is a slight pain to lug around. I stash mine by my stand and take off the head and hide under some brush. It works VERY well. I've brought in numerous bucks with it. I'd reccomend spraying it every time after you set it up. It makes a difference! The Primos scar is smaller but the head and tail will move with wind. Bought it for my dad to try this year.

I strongly suggest getting a decoy. I only use mine during the rut. It also makes deer stick around longer, and usually will give you a better shot opportunity. Last year I had this heavy bodied 8pt all bristled up and posturing for almost 10 minutes. Got great video of it. Decoys are a game changer

18-Oct-18
Grunter, great info, thanks!

Do you use any scent on the decoy or just scent killer?

Yeah, the DSD looks great but way more than I want to spend!

18-Oct-18
Dick's has the Flambeau Boss Buck on sale for $99 today only. Online only.

18-Oct-18
I use scent killer on the decoy only, if I use scent I put it in a canister on the ground.

18-Oct-18
I use the Carry Lite. I changed it to have a moving head & put a Primos wagger tail on it that you can move with a remote. Moving tail makes all the difference in the world.

18-Oct-18
I've had better luck with the Boss Buck than the smaller decoys, but these are Canadian whitetails though I doubt that makes a difference. Maybe it's just been luck but it seems to suck em in. My carry-lite they just don't seem to notice much. The boss sure is a pain and noisy to carry in though.

18-Oct-18
Heads Up decoy.

18-Oct-18
I use Primos Scar. if I can stash beforehand i will actually use a turkey strategy and use 2 doe decoys in conjunction with the buck.. Has gotten me 2 nice KS bucks in the last 3 years.

18-Oct-18
I have been using the flambeau boss buck for a few years now after the guys in Kansas asked me to pick up a couple on the way down. Every store I checked was sold out lol. I was able to get one at home and it works great plus I don't use sent or anything. Its kinda like using a boss tom decoy the odd one will hang up but the majority will come in to investigate !

18-Oct-18

sitO's Link
If you have some time to "harvest" check out this older link from here.

18-Oct-18
I only use scent killer. Nothing else needed. Point the decoy toward your stand upwind. Most bucks will either go downwind or to the side of it. Put him 30 yards away and your in business. I also only use one side of his antlers.

18-Oct-18
I have a questions for those of you who have enjoyed CONSISTENT success using decoys to decoy mature bucks into bow range. ESPECIALLY those who use it as their primary method of getting mature bucks into bow range. Please share your set ups. I tried decoying over 20 years ago when it first came onto the deer hunting seen and it was a complete disaster for me EVERY SINGLE TIME I tried it.

I will relate what I did, where I think I went wrong but still would like to know why it works for you. I was using a Flambeau mature doe decoy in the head down feeding stance. I was hunting very good private land in a area known to produce large numbers of mature bucks that got taken every year. I am 100% confident based on the deer actions that in no way did scent play a roll in their negative reactions. I was set up in a classic funnel that was a rectangular strip of woods that ran nearly dead north/south about 300-400 yards long by 50-75 yards wide that connected on each end to huge blocks of mature timber. I was hunting in a intersection where a hedgerow met the strip of woods that just so happened to be the narrowest part of the funnel. In short a fantastic set up. I chose to give a decoy a try because the previous year, my first year on the land I had the vast majority of mature bucks pass by my stand sight out of bow range and felt a decoy was the answer to my problem as there were no trees available to relocate to. During spring turkey season I built a small pile of brush in relation to my tree stand sight so that when I placed my decoy facing my stand any buck that wished to check out my decoy would have to walk around the small brush pile and hopefully offer a broad side shot. I was careful to make sure the brush pile didn't obscure an approaching deer's ability to see my decoy. The first time I hunted over the decoy it was November 7th and a during the years first cold front that resulted in the most significant temperature drop (65*-27*) of the fall to that date. Less than an hour after sun up I saw a buck coming my way from the north. He was without doubt going to come within bow range unless his travel path changed. He got about 50 yards away and spotted my doe decoy and slammed on the brakes and stared intensely at me decoy for several minuets, then slowly reversed course and walked away stopping several times to look back at my decoy. This happened two more time with different bucks that same day. A group of 4 does came through and also had about the same reaction, although they didn't blow or leave in a panic they did stop and give the decoy a wide berth as the traveled around it, constantly looking at it. Needless to say I stop using the decoy. I had read a book on decoying bucks by a guy who's full name escapes me but his last name was Storm who I think founded or was affiliated with Montana Decoy. I set my decoy up as he recommended, although he used a buck decoy and at the time I couldn't buy a buck decoy and didn't want to modify my doe to wear horns. I think I made these mistakes that resulted in my failures. #1-I used a doe decoy when I should've used a buck #2-Although I set up my decoy as the book I read recommended in the woods, I would've been much better off setting up in the adjacent open field, but again that was a no-go as such a set up didn't work with wind direction and the most likely direction the deer came from and traveled to. #3-Becuase the decoy was in a area that the live deer couldn't see it till well under 100 yards they were surprised when the did, and it's total lack of movement likely resulted in the deer regarding it as unnatural. I seriously doubt any deer that encountered my decoy had ever been decoyed previously as the area was then experiencing very low hunting pressure and no one I talked to had even heard of let alone considered decoying white tails.

So I'm guessing most of you who enjoy success decoying mature bucks do at a minimum these things: #1-Use a buck decoy or a buck and doe decoys but not a doe only decoy #2-set up where the deer can see the decoy from at least 100 yards away #3-Do something to give their decoy at least a little movement. I've often consider trying a decoy again, but I either my hunting land or hunting situation simply made decoying impractical or impossible.

18-Oct-18
I use clothes pins, to replicate antlers on my montana decoy,,,, usually make a spiker out of it,,,,

I have also just hung some toilet paper out in the wind, to get their attention

18-Oct-18
I have not had good luck with just a doe decoy. Does don't like decoys in general, a doe decoy they would blow at and stomp and raise a ruckus.

Buck only, with some kind of movement. The Tailwagger gets lots of great reviews, I haven't tried one yet since the tail on mine moves with the breeze.

And make sure they can see it from a distance, 100 yds is fine. I have set mine in the open along a timber edge with no problems from bucks coming from the timber. Inside the timber, where they don't notice it until they are right there, they don't like.

18-Oct-18
Ironbow is right about the does. That's what I used back in the day before we had all this knowledge-sharing online. Shoot, you had to buy an antler kit for your doe decoy to convert it. Does are curious and deer know each other. They have to investigate the new gal in THEIR territory. When they see a buck, they avoid him during the rut, as they don't want to get chased for miles by a buck who is "happy" and they aren't quite there yet.

As everyone has suggested, go with the buck decoy. Interesting twist on the only using 1 antler--I may have to try that. I too stash my decoy in the field in a camo burlap bag under some cedars. Use the ScentKiller and you are good to go.

18-Oct-18
Thanks for all the input guys, think I'm going to go with the Flambeau.

SitO, thanks for the link to that thread!

18-Oct-18

David Geyer's Link

18-Oct-18

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I love using a decoy.

18-Oct-18

David Geyer's Link

18-Oct-18
I have a Flambeau and a Hard Core Ole Jack decoy. In my opinion the Flambeau is a little on the large size.

I've used Jack more and had pretty good success even as a doe, I've had bucks come up and gore her.

18-Oct-18
Just like any hunting situation, sometimes they work amd sometimes they don't. Half the fun setting them up and seeing what happens. Movement is one of the most important aspects in using a decoy, also make sure it can be seen from a long way off.make sure to spray any scents on a stick and put it at the backside of you decoy.

18-Oct-18
Just when I thought I didn’t need to buy any more hunting stuff! Now you guys have me all excited to try a decoy!

19-Oct-18
I have used one successfully for years. I use the Carry Lite. I use a one-antlered buck as I feel it looks like any approaching buck can kick his butt. I have the buck face me between 15-20 yards for reasons mentioned above. I have never had success using it as a doe, and does just plain hate every decoy I have ever used. If you're hunting a field edge with lots of doe traffic, it can be a disaster. I just ordered a Primos tail wagger-Thanks for that info!

• Sitka Gear