RJ Hunt 21-Oct-18
Jaquomo 21-Oct-18
Jaquomo 21-Oct-18
Treeline 21-Oct-18
NorCalVineyards 21-Oct-18
NorCalVineyards 21-Oct-18
Jims 21-Oct-18
21-Oct-18
I have a archery hunt coming up in Colorado next month and was wondering what systems the Bowsite communities use to close the distance in the final approach. I have modified Nikes and glued ol shag carpet to the bottoms which had worked well. The only down side is they can attract a lot of stickers and hold a lot of mud. I was looking at those Rimrok stalkers but the gator portion of the system doesn’t look quiet and there’s a lot of straps plus a buckle. Where we will be hunting is open country AG ground.

21-Oct-18
In November in open country? You likely won't close the distance very effectively because the bucks will be with does. Instead, call and decoy. I use Montana doe decoys, Heads Up buck and doe decoys, and most effective is the doe hat.

I use soft pleading doe bleats to get their attention, then when they see the decoys they come over. Rattling is also very effective but depends on the mood of the buck. Sometimes they run in, other times they sneak in.

If you PM me with your email I'll send you the text of one of my articles on bowhunting muleys during the rut.

21-Oct-18
Exactly what Jaq said

21-Oct-18
You might also pull up some of my previous live hunt threads, which are "real time" during the different phases of the rut.

21-Oct-18

Jaquomo's Link
Here's a live thread for you

21-Oct-18
Lou’s your best source for eastern CO mule deer bow hunting! Good luck and let us know how you do!

21-Oct-18
Hey Lou, we spoke last time I was out in the plains in 15’. I have the heads up buck and will look into the doe and hat. I’ll review your links and posts. Thank you for your help.

21-Oct-18
You don’t have to tell me twice, class in session.

21-Oct-18
You likely won't get within 100 yards unless you keep wind direction in mind! Not only keep track of bucks but also does! I use bright colored floating fibers that I can watch drift for 50 to 100 yards! If the wind is howling there likely isn't a question about wind direction.

Another consideration is having lots of patience. If you are hunting open country it may be best to watch from a distance until things materialize. If the deer are in broken country with draws, creek bottoms, brush, tall grass, weeds, uncut crops, tall stubble, trees, etc it isn't impossible to attempt stalks. You may be waiting and watching for hours but things can happen,,,,and happen fast! It may be wise to cut the distance as close as you can..keeping wind direction in mind. If the buck you are interested in chases another small buck from a hot doe it would be wise to get between the buck and does to cut off the buck when he returns. In circumstance similar to that you may need to sprint a 1/2 mile to cut the distance. There are lots of senerios similar to that where you can use the rut to your advantage.

• Sitka Gear