ahunter55 21-Oct-18
Bowfreak 22-Oct-18
KHNC 22-Oct-18
GLP 23-Oct-18
oldgoat 23-Oct-18
21-Oct-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
I've been in archery over 60 years now AND have literally built thousands of arrows. Had a shop from 1964 thru 82 & built 80%+ that went out the door & currently build for 8 family member. Glue on nocks B/4 all the assorted ones we have now (G-nocks ect). Not counting GLOW nocks, does it really make a difference if it fits properly? I have THREE Darton compounds. 1 for hunting, 1 for indoor only & 1 for outdoor targets only. Each arrow has a different nock. I have a Longbow also & 2 different arrows I shoot out of it. Older Aluminum shaft that takes a glue on nock and wood shaft, larger diameter than the Aluminum that takes a glue on also.. I have 3 different nocks that go into carbons the newer aluminums. In the last month I have built 4 Dz. carbons for family. My G-Daughter got one type nock & my son a different one. When I repair or build more for an individual I use the same type nock.. So, if they fit & you use the same for repair or added arrows, does it really make a difference? Excluding glow nocks. Personally, I never consider weight of a nock as for "most" archers/hunters they cannot/will not notice any difference. Thoughts?

21-Oct-18
Splitting hairs not noticeable in reality

21-Oct-18
If holding tightness of the nocks was much higher with one brand and less than another it could effect fixed broadhead flight. If outer dims of the nock are larger with one nock you might see more d loop nock pinch, which torques arrows up, also effecting fixed BH consistency. Mismatch is no place for your hunting arrow set.

For target plinking at average distances, 20-30 yards for average shooters I'm not sure they would not know the difference or even know there was an issue anyway, but it's no excuse to provide unsuspecting shooters with inconsistent gear.

21-Oct-18
Nock, no. Nock fit, absolutely.

21-Oct-18
On the older aluminum style coned shaped ends shafts I think the key thing was a solid even fit.

On the newer carbon shafts, I think there are 2 important components: (1) squared ends on both the point end and on the nock end. (2) properly weighted nocks i.e. if using lighted nock and non-lighted nocks make sure the non-lighted weigh the same as the light nock. A lighted nock weighs around 20-22 grans. A regular nock weights around 8 grans (I think).

I you plan to shot both types and expect arrow performance to be the consistent, the non-lighted has to be increased with weight to weigh the same as the lighted nock.

I know what I saying, I just hope this make sense. If not, think about what I am saying and eventually, "your light will turn on" !!

21-Oct-18
Nock fit is important. Makes a difference

21-Oct-18
So fit does (I know that) & lighted nocks I excluded. Rogbow, my thoughts also.I'm old so my light may be a little dimmer but it's still "ON".. Thanks everyone. I'm starting to hunt tomorrow so I won't have many questions from boredom..

22-Oct-18
Nock style is not important as long as it is installed square to the shaft.

22-Oct-18
I use the nocks made by Firenock, even if i am not using a lighted nock circuit on that arrow. The fit is flawless , compared to factory nocks. I have noticed very consistent accuracy during 3D season. I have carried this over to hunting as well with the same nocks.

23-Oct-18
Good points. I also like a knock that is short. (gets the string as close to the shaft as possible) less chance of the knock taking a bend which ruins arrow flight. You want the knock to put all of the energy in the center of the arrow shaft. Hope you understand what I am trying to say. Greg

23-Oct-18
I really like the Accunocks, had one longbow I couldn't quite get perfect arrow flight with, Accunocks cleaned it right up! And they alleviate a lot of nock fit problems also, but a second nock point is a must I feel for stick bows but isn't needed with a d-loop obviously.

• Sitka Gear